My feeling about Linkin Park's album evolution

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Hrvman, Apr 12, 2012.

Hybrid Theory is still the best-selling debut album of the 21st century. It's HONESTLY amazing for a first album. Linkin Park basically took rap-metal to a whole new direction. It basically set them as who they are.

Reanimation was an amazing direction, but unfortunately it was stopped by Meteora. If LP continued on with the Reanimation-style songs, they'd be a lot more respected. Meteora was so generic. It's virtually Hybrid Theory 2.0. The only songs I listen to from that album are Breaking the Habit and Session.

Minutes to Midnight... now this was a WEIRD album! There were some amazing songs, some which have the best lyrics they've ever made. But others weren't that great at all. They lost their trademark sound.

And with A Thousand Suns, I don't think they'll top that album. It was perfection, other than the mixing and mastering. They should remaster it, because it feels so rushed, you know? I can tell they really tried with the album. It still gives me goosebumps when I play the Vinyl :)

Ace31

Ace31 Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree with you on MTM and ATS being classified together as sound II. The two albums sounds absolutely nothing alike. As you said, MTM was raw and organic with most of the sounds made with actual instruments whereas ATS was more electronic sounding, with lots of filters and distortions. MTM would be sound II and ATS sound III.

Promofrog

Promofrog Banned

Agreed, IMO I think Minutes To Midnight was LP stepping out their comfort zone, A Thousand Suns was LP stepping down the rabbit hole, only to emerge bigger and better with the upcoming release.

Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory is like a shot of hard whiskey. Meteora is the following 5 or so shots.

ATS is like a fine wine.

MTM is grape soda

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

So Meteora is like getting ridiculously fucked to the point that you wonder why the fuck you decided to take five shots?
    And because of that regret you just stick with grape soda?

that makes sense

Promofrog

Promofrog Banned

Fixt

Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

Yes. MTM was going to be nothing like another night out drinking Whiskey. Last time they had to much whiskey and did something they regret (not entirely i'm sure)

Geki

Geki >.

Chester was fucked up on Whiskey pretty much from like 2005-early 2007, so MTM was basically made on it. LOL. JK.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I want a whiskey smiley. Now.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

From a technical/musical standpoint, Meteora is a lot better than Hybrid Theory in some aspects, Faint, Lying From You, Figure 0.9 and I'd probably even Don't Stay are way beyond shit like One Step Closer, Runaway, and Forgotten in a lot of ways. But you can tell (and they themselves must have surely admitted by now) Meteora was created to fit specifically with making HT fans comfortable instead of going all out, so what probably would have been great songs ended up as, at best, "just as good" songs. Meteora has very few genuinely bad songs (although fuck Numb and everyone that likes Numb), but they settled when they could have outdone themselves.

Well, that, and the lyrics being inexplicably worse. That didn't help.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I feel MTM is a beautifully written album with a great mix of heavy songs and slow songs. It was a depearture from their old sound but proved their writing abilities were greater than evcer. I still MTM has some of the best LP lyrics to date, and every song has a passion in the vocals and the way it was written. MTM showcased what the band was capable of, and it is some of their best and most lyrical work to date
    to each his own opinion but i agree with OP and feel that Meteora was an improvement to HT. They took their sound and made it better (even if they werent trying to). The perfected the nu metal style with awesome instrumentals, great vocals, and i feel the lyrics on Meteora are better than the ones on HT. I mean HT has lyrics like Runaway, Forgotten, and even though I like One Step Closer a lot the lyrics aren't that great, they are just fun to listen to lyrics. I think the Meteora lyrics hit the spot, relate to more people, and the songs have better lyrics. To date, BTH has the best Linkin park lyrics ever written in my opinion. Everyone has an opinion but I felt like expressing mine (breifly) because Meteora fans get hate for never saying why they think what they think.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Breaking the Habit is probably still one of (if not the) greatest song of theirs.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

As Chester put it, ATS was fucking bonkers. All over the place.

The thing with Minutes To Midnight is it has this organic feel to it, raw, unadultured, a sound I would have liked the band to expand on. They can do GREAT rock songs (Given Up, No More Sorrow, Across The Line), melodic, explosive build-ups (No Roads Left, In Pieces, Shadow Of The Day), mellow songs (Not Alone, The Little Things).

Looking forward to the last B-Side out of the 17 songs. (Across The Line, Blackbirds, NRL and What We Don't Know are the other 4)

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

isn't there 6 b-sides from MTM? or were there just five?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Meteora their most mature album?

If you say so...

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

There were 17 finished songs and only 12 were chosen for the album. It's in an interview.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

ITS AN EVOLUTION! !!

box1992

box1992 and the sun will set for you

Meteora was the best album

catfish24

catfish24 Member

I love Minutes to Midnight but don't care much for ATS. I didn't enjoy the electronic synth'y sounds on ATS.

TrantaLocked

TrantaLocked Active Member

In my opinion, much of Minutes to midnight is boring as hell. The album that got me into Linkin Park was Hybrid Theory, so I still see them as a metal band. Nevertheless, I like many of their softer songs, but on the other side, they sometime just suck at writing slow songs. I agree Meteora is up there. I still see Hybrid Theory and Meteora at the same level, then ATS, then MtM last. I really like ATS because they decided to stop writing boring songs after the disappointing MtM release despite being a relatively soft rock album.

I would say MtM is acceptable because I know it came from them at a time of change and pain. Chester was going through a lot over those few years. They became more mature for sure, and thus came out less aggressive. Their song writing became more poppy, not really in my taste. The flow of MtM could have been improved. For example, putting Leave Out All the Rest after GIVEN UP just to go to Bleed it Out after? Horrible experience killer. ATS showed LP could improve their album production.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012