New BURN IT DOWN Clip featuring Mike Rapping

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

He's saying they're "pop" in the sense that they are popular.

2. A.06

A.06 Well-Known Member

Just heard a snippet of the song on German TV, promoting a live car show on June 2. Looks like LP will be performing. The snippet doesn't reveal any new bits of the song though.

3. Glen Orpheus

Glen Orpheus Frackin Frackers (",)

OMG its time to get excited (",)

4. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Timothy is correct.

5. hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

Point taken. Well, we'll have to see what LP has up their sleeves this time around.

6. rlkx

rlkx Like an army falling, one by one by one..

7. hybridsoldier1989

LOL. Yes. What person in their right mind hasn't heard SOAD or Metallica? They're both pretty PC for a middle school event. Or baseball game PA systems. Or popular rock radio.

8. TrantaLocked

TrantaLocked Active Member

But we were never talking about pop in terms of popularity. We were talking about the genre of pop.

9. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I'm not listening to this one. The chorus was enough for me. Now I'm waiting for Monday to come!

10. Derek

And Metallica would still apply to that. There's a huge difference between "Master of Puppets" Metallica, and new Metallica. They're become a LOT more radio friendly over time.

11. hybridsoldier1989

There really isn't such a genre. The genre is loosely based on what is popular. Or like what I said: what the public, at a given time, can rally around and deem "good."

12. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Pop as in the "genre" is ever-changing. There are no key instruments or style of singing that makes "pop" music. it's about structure and accessibility.

"Pop" in the early 19th century mainly featured trumpets, for example.

Oh, well the post above me is spot on

13. rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

I would argue that, while ATS was certainly a step away from radio oriented popular music, at its core it was still very "mainstream." Time to bust out the science.

If there is one element that defines the overall mood of a song, it is almost undeniably the chord progression. While the melody and arrangement certainly play a huge part in the overall sound, they are all but defined by the sequence of chords that accompany them. Take an amazing melody, and change up the chords behind it to some that don't really "fit", and suddenly you have notes clashing, conflicting vibes, etc., and now you have a shitty melody.

The vast majority of LPs singles and other hits use one of a small number of progressions, namely vi IV I V and i III VII vi, which is arguably actually vi I V ii in the parallel major key. Go to your nearest college, find a music theory professor, and ask him/her about the latter one. They will say that it is a retrogression that doesn't really go anywhere, and this is true. These progressions exist solely because they don't really go anywhere. They just keep driving in circles and hook your brain into an infinite loop, hearing it over and over again even after the song is over. They are catchy as FUCK. Even the catalyst, which sorta broke the mold in a harmonic sense, simply uses vi, with occasional V for prolongation, before jumping into the Inception score's vi iii V ii catchy repetition.

Listen to any "art music." Put on beethoven symphony, some jazz or blues, or even some indie thing. For centuries, traditional music has focused on the creating and releasing tension. This is usually achieved by progressing to the dominant of a given key (V chord and associated notes), creating a "pull" toward the root note of the scale in the process, and then resolving back to said root and its associated chord. This simply does not exist in LPs, or any other alternative rooted pop music.

Really the first time they ever used this sort of thing was ATS, hence it being a step away, but the catchy progressions are still there. Look at waiting for the end. The end of the song is I I vi V, a progression that would sound good to bach and friends, but the entire rest of the song is single chord prolongation verses and vi IV I V choruses. BITS uses the ever catchy i III VII iv for all the verses and the solo, only stepping away from it to the more "artistic" vi V V/vi IV I V V/vi during the outro.

Sorry if this is TL;DR or doesn't make sense to some people. I can't wait to see what sort of harmony will come into play on the new album.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  14. DRGL

DRGL Member

One thing i notice about linkin park since they started doing snippets of song singles like what i've done or The Catalyst is before the actual song is released, the snippets that come up are always from parts of the song that dont really show us the power of the song, and i think they do right since a snippet before the actual release would be to calm the fans with a tease :leo: so to the people that are complaining about being "pop" or dancey-ish thats how the catalyst started and the end result was the opposite and way much better, we all know mike is a troll and likes to tease us :WTF:

15. Derek

rcm034 is a genius. You basically understood my argument about LP being a "pop" band.

16. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

lol no u silly, HT and METEORA are dabes cuz screaming and rap and guitarz. Da nu musicz iz suck cuz iz pop.

On a serious note, I love you.

17. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I love you.

:X

18. AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

God damn! how do I "win" this level? I finised the game like 30 times today and I got nothing...no snippet, no "achievement unlocked" no nothing. I keep eating all the blue/black things and when nothing's left it does nothing.

19. JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

I'm not feeling Mikes part at all :mellow:

I hope the full version is a lot better..

20. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm not feeling the song at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.