Thoughts on Burn It Down?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Promofrog, Apr 16, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. I love it! I've replayed it a few times!

74 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. I like it.

34 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Not bad.

16 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Meh. Not as good as What I've Done/The Catalyst.

17 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. I hate it!

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. 10

19 vote(s)
    12.3%
  7. 9

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. 8

24 vote(s)
    15.5%
  9. 7

16 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. 6

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  11. 5

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  12. 4

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  13. 3

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. 2

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  15. 1

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

I like it. Nothing amazing, but I don't think it's supposed to be. It's catchy, it'll get the crowd going at the shows, but it is a very generic, simple song. I don't think it's fair to ask that every song LP comes out with now has to complex and have a lot of elements to it. Burning in the Skies was fairly simple (minus that awesome guitar part). I will admit that they could have done with a bit more oomph, but I'm okay with this. Very excited to hear everything else.

2. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

it's true tho, people tend to comment more if they have something negative to say, that's why the poll contradicts the comments

3. soun'wave

soun'wave can't shake the shock

I thought it was a little underwhelming first listen. the lyrics and melody feel very generic/poppy and just uninteresting and I think Mike's rap feels a bit simple and forced meteora style

The production is very nice though, the layered synths and filtered instruments sounds cool, it sounds like a continuation of ATS, which I'm pleased about

I think I'll want to hear how this fits into the album tracklist before deciding whether I like it, I find track placements to be important to my enjoyment of the song

4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I think you can make an argument that they've progressed by not consciously putting themselves in a box like every other album that wasn't Hybrid Theory. Meteora's box was "be HT pt.2", MtM was that "not be like the old us" box and ATS was "we're going to fuck with everybody and not do any of the shit that they expect of us". I believe that they said that it exhausted the shit out of them.

Now they just make music that they think sounds good.

IMO not limiting yourself in any way is progress. I think I'll enjoy them that way

5. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

That's why I'm trying to take his advise and speak up as part of the "silent majority."

6. Blake

Yeah, me too. I like voicing my opinion even if it's different from the majority. Usually i try not to post negatively, so I mainly share my positive opinions

7. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I listened to this song before I left for my exam in the morning. Then had New Divide stuck in my head all day. Not particularly promising.

8. Ace31

Ace31 Well-Known Member

I was a little meh on it at first when I heard it through my laptop speakers, but after listening to it turned up loudly on my surround sound system it has grown on me a lot. It does have a lot energy and it will be fun to hear it played live.

9. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Where the fuck is that Citizen Kane Orsen Welles clapping .gif? Brilliant post.:awesome:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

OMG That was beautiful!
    [​IMG]

11. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Brilliant post. Yeah I watched all 3 DVD's of Making Of for Meteora, MTM, and ATS today and it does seem this last process pushed the guys to their limits. And the "box" analogy really works now that you mention it, not necessarily at the "make another HT" point of view but the fact that they have deliberately dismissed anything that sounded familiar.

We still have 11 more songs to listen to, I would like people to give it a chance, many around here have even though they don't fancy BID, but to diss on a whole record based on one song or the titles is not worthy yet.

So bring on June 26th!

12. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Except if you listen to Chester's interview with Zane Lowe, he talks about how the music for the next album started out as stuff like very folk-y and very electronic, but they purposefully pulled the songs back into less extreme territory. Is that not putting yourself in a box too?

13. Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

I don't understand how going back to somewhat more comfortable ground instead of experimenting more is considered progress. Progress is continuously pushing yourself even if it exhausts you.

14. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

You could say that, actually.

What's interesting though, is that their challenge for this album was to turn those folk or electro songs into something not so distinct and identifiable. So if they are in a box this time, it's a "not-be-in a box" box... lol. It's still a different and (IMO)progressive mindset and approach than their last 3 studio efforts

Progress is whatever you feel is an improvement, so it sounds like what they are doing now is considered progress. Phoenix did say that they have still been experimenting, but they aren't looking for anything in particular in regards to sound, so eh...

15. Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

It's a cool song over all and I have listened to it a few times. I feel like it will probably be a hit on the radio which would be a good thing for the band. I am hoping that the album isn't filled with songs like this though one or two is enough for me lol.

16. Ace31

Ace31 Well-Known Member

Going off what Mike wrote in his blog, to me it sounds like they're trying to use the best of what they learned over the years of experimenting to make a new album that will sound fresh and familiar at the same time.

17. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Ehhhh come on now. :D that's a very optimistic way of looking at it. it seems to me like they pulled these songs back and Linkin-parkified or pop-rocked them.

But who knows. the album is still over 2 months away. I'm still cautiously optimistic about it.

18. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

After giving it a few more listens, I love it.

Anyone who think's this isn't different from HT or Meteora clearly needs their ears checked.

19. Blake

IMO it could fit on MTM easily

20. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Perhaps, but I see it more as a mix of ATS and MTM which is exactly what I was hoping for.