The Hundreds Article: IN THE MIX Brings Insight into LIVING THINGS' Post-Production

Discussion in 'News' started by Zane, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

@The previous poster: You pretty much nailed it. My thoughts exactly.

2. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I like how one article has the ability to turn an entire website's opinion from "I'm going into this album pretty apprehensive guys..." to "Holy fuck this album will be awesome!" Was it REALLY that worrisome that it was assumed the band wouldn't be putting their full creativity into Living Things? Just because a lead single couldn't live up to the hype?

3. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Not really because of the lead single and I never doubted that I would like the album.

However I was wondering how the final product would end up after Mike said it would be simple.

Just didn't want them falling back into old habits.

4. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

And also, he said "dubstep-reminishent back beat". If we want to take it literally, he might even have meant Burn It Down, as its drum pattern is very dubstep but not many seems to have noticed it as the song is NOT dubstep at bloody all.

5. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Why is LPA typing Living Things and Burn It Down with caps? :lol:

6. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Because #ALLCAPSEVERYTHING.

7. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

Because the caps lock is part of the :toolbox:

8. prettyrick

prettyrick New Member

would i be a jerk if i said I found out that the LT Album Art kinda looks like the Saw 3D poster?

saw_3d_ver2.jpg

I mean, not ridiculously similar but kinda?

9. Derek

YES. ALL CAPS EVERYTHING. BTW NIGHT OF NEPTUNE, YOU'RE NOW LPA TWITTER FAMOUS. YOU'RE WELCOME. :potato:

10. The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

its a matter of coolness.
    Now, its your task to interprete that.

11. Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

12. m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Possibly the most exciting news I've read in all my time on LPA (and there've been some exciting moments over the years!)

Manny Marroquin is one of my top three all-time favourite mix engineers. I pretty much follow anything and everything he does. I was actually hoping the band would stick with Neal Avron (another BRILLIANT mixer), but now I know they're with Manny, I know they're in safe hands. I can't wait to hear his mixes (or at least, the rest of the mixes besides BID). Also, I love any article to do with music production, so it goes without saying that a music production article about my all-time favourite band is... well, let's just say overall, it's a good good day!

(For anyone remotely interested in production and/or mixing, it's worth YouTubing all the various Manny interviews out there...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev43d8YKLss

Thank you LPA for bringing us this news!

13. Ant

Ant Ambient

Have you heard the single? It's actually mixed fantastic.

BECAUSE THEY WANT TO BAN THEMSELVES AND THE BAND FOR BEING N00BZ.

14. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

It does. If Linkin Park ever steps into industrial territory, I think that would be REALLY badass. I'm not quite up to date as for what dubstep really means because I haven't listened to any of the artists people name when talking about that genre but, I know a little bit about Industrial (I'm an Eisbrecher fan, check them 1, 2, 3 and 4) and it's freaking awesome, the mixture of the heavy guitars with inorganic sounds, clinging percussion and some powerful thick voices. (< Did I just describe Linkin Park? :lol:).

The SPIN article claimed there were traces of industrial elements in Lost in the Echo, I cannot wait to hear that stuff.

15. Derek

I actually wasn't 100% fond with Neal's mixes on ATS as some songs (The Catalyst most especially) sounded very flat. Although Neal did amazingly on Waiting For The End so it's a mixed bag. I'm highly excited for Manny's work on LIVING THINGS though. Should be good!

16. Ice Cream Sandwich

Ice Cream Sandwich Member

hey just a thought, but maybe the album is going to be like the story of linkin park!

First 2-3 songs like HT , then comes Meteora and then a few like M2M and then ATS! and to end it a totally new song just for Living things!

SO THE LIVING THING is "LINKIN PARK" , all that growth makes a lot of sense

17. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

That means BID is like Meteora. And that... no.

18. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Who knows about that, I'm not sure they will follow that pattern (but saying 1st songs like HT and then Meteora is a bit redundant since it's the same sound), because as :rastamike: said, they would use all the elements in their :toolbox: to create LIVING THINGS. It would be very easy for them to do songs with each separate sound from all their eras. Their challenge for this record was to incorporate ALL the elements and influences into the songs, every song.

It wouldn't be very interesting if they did that, the record would be all over the place. What I think made them earn the praise of certain writers was the ability to merge the sound from their earlier steps with the new, experimental electronic vibe they've been working with lately.

19. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Speaking of mixes, I wish they didn't mix down the bass during the live shows.

I love hearing the thump of it during the intro of TC and it's very low in concert :(

20. m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true, and mixing is definitely very subjective. One guy's favourite mix might be just "ok" to another guy. Now that you mention it, whenever I think of a Neal Avron mix, it's almost always an MTM song that springs to mind rather than an ATS song. I'm thinking particularly about the big, roomy, straight-ahead rock sound of the drums on something like Given Up, and I love the vocal mix on Bleed It Out (it's simple, no crazy effects, just Mike spitting some clear, in-your-face verses).

One of my favourite Manny Marroquin mixes is actually Asher Roth's album. He's not an artist I'm familiar with, I just heard him one day on Spotify and thought "Great mix!" Same with a recent Gym Class Heroes release (Ass Back Home) - I'm not that familiar with them or their music, but I heard Manny's mix of their song and thought it was awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.