LIVING THINGS Album Length to be 36 Minutes According to Warner Music Japan

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

If this is true can anyone honestly say they're surprised after what we've heard so far? With Mike describing LIVING THINGS as a "quick firecracker record" I'd have been more shocked if the album hit the 40 minute mark. It also fascinates me how fans seem to have the mindset that "longer album = better album". This shouldn't be the case. Everyone always wants the longest album possible but what's important is that the songs are good, and I trust Linkin Park made every song a length they felt worked for each individual track. They don't purposefully make songs short or long, what happens, happens and what's important is that the tracks resonate in the context of the album and I trust Linkin Park's intentions.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

WTF I don't even...

Vdubster

Vdubster Member

Sounds like a good length to me :rolleyes:

TLC

TLC Well-Known Member

Yes, I trust Linkin Parks intentions, too. And I'm also fine with the album length. Speaking of quality and quantity: I am just surprised Linkin Park never does a real long album. I think they absolutely could do a great long, quality album, too. I wish they do one day...

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Okay for all people whining about the album length, what's the last 70-80 minute album that you could listen to completely (or more the less have the time to listen to completely) without feeling some tracks are "weak", "filler" or just there to make the album feel longer? Heck some classic albums aren't even over 40 minutes long. License To Ill is a rather short album, and that CD influenced countless hip-hop acts that followed, and even had an influence on Linkin Park. I'd rather have a 36-40 minute album with strong and solid songs through and through, than a 70 minute album where I skip over 3-4 of the tracks on later listens because they're filler. Heck, even with ATS (my favorite Linkin Park album) I don't even really listen to it all the way through anymore and that cd is almost 50 minutes. You guys should be greatful we're getting an album in less than 2 years after ATS, instead of chastizing the guys for not making a longer record. If the band keeps releasing music every 1 1/2 years, are album lengths even going to matter in the end? Stop whining. If I had waited 4 years for a 36 minute album maybe I'd be upset, but to be getting almost 40 minutes of Linkin Park music not even two years after ATS to me is absolutely wonderful.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

I agree entirely Joe, I don't think "album length" is a useful way for fans to judge an album we've never heard. Does the imaginary album in our heads suddenly get better if we add on another imaginary ten minutes?

If it was substantially longer, then that would mean more songs. Now, that might immediately SOUND like a brilliant thing, but obviously the greater the quantity of songs, the more LP's talent/time/effort is spread thin over more mediocre songs. 36 minutes seems fair to me - maybe they can throw in a B-Side or two on a future Tour Edition or LPU release.

Edit: Actually, if any of the "Living Things: Remixed" tracks are good, that in itself might make a nice selection of "B-Sides", so to speak.

CylockDNB

CylockDNB Well-Known Member

NIN - The Downward Spiral is 66 mins and I love every single track on it. I can hear that album front to back without pausing, twice or maybe three times in a day without getting tired or annoyed. It goes to show that your can make a long, quality album if that's what you call for on a record.

CylockDNB

CylockDNB Well-Known Member

NIN - The Downward Spiral is 66 mins long and I love every single track on it. I can hear that album front to back without pausing, twice or maybe three times in a day without getting tired or annoyed. It goes to show that you can make a long, quality album if that's what you call for on a record.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
    The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

this!

TLC

TLC Well-Known Member

I am absolutely greatful that they are releasing a new album after that short period, I just say, that I would wish they will release an album with a longer length some time. And I am not whining, I am absolutely excited about the new album and the tour, i even bought tickets, I am a big fan. I just have my opinion in hoping for a longer album. And: i listen to every record always from the beginning to the end, i think it's a matter of opinion.

HybridBharath

HybridBharath Well-Known Member

Thank You Very Much Derek for putting that out there. It's only been, 1 and a half years since the last album (maybe 2).
    But I personally would rather want a studio track that goes for about 8 minutes. That would be more interesting instead of a 70-80 minute album.

Oh, and I'm fine with this being 36 minutes. This just adds more similarity to Hybrid Theory!! (12 tracks, 36-37 mins album, possibly one instrumental,opening track is an actual song)

AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

This is very easy to swallow being that I already love 4 minutes of it.

;)

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Why are you surprised, people? These are compact songs.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Sure The Downward Spiral is a 66 minute masterpiece that is the exception to my post, but then again...not everyone is Trent Reznor. Not everyone can create over a decade's worth of excellent music, all by themselves and call it a band when it's technically just Trent Reznor + touring musicians.

The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

Exception no. 2: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    But I see your point.

Ant

Ant Ambient

Fucking hell.

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Alright, let's do the math here. Album length is 36 minutes, minus BID (3:52), taking into account that we're assuming one of the tracks to be an instrumental - lets say it's about the same length as Jornada Del Muerto or Fallout (so ~1:30):

gives us an average track length of 3:03 for the remaining 10 songs. On second thoughts, that actually sounds alright to me. I think my initial twinge of disappointment came from the fact that I crave LP, in the sense that it is like my heroin.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Great point. 8 remixes is such an awesome idea! I'm sure we'll also get demos and B-sides in the LPU12 CD too.

I agree with Derek's post. Can't wait for LIVING THINGS!

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

^ This. The album length does seem short at first glance but seeing that HT and MT have a similar length, I'll be OK with it, and I'd rather have 12 great compact songs, than filling the album with meaningless interludes (the ones in ATS did have a meaning and tied the album together).

Also.. We are talking about 12 FULL SONGS on the album (11 in case there is an instrumental). Didn't people complain when we found out ATS had only NINE full songs? Let's be greatful that this album was made quicker than ATS and already has at least TWO more full songs than ATS.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

To go with Derek's theory, I'll take White Lies as an example.
    They have two records that both have 10 songs. The first, To Lose My Life is 44 minutes and 50 seconds long. The second record, Ritual is 49 minutes and 39 seconds long.
    Just like not everyone is Trent Reznor, not everyone are White Lies.

Why wouldn't you count an instrumental as a full (real) song?

Last edited: May 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.