LIVING THINGS Album Length to be 36 Minutes According to Warner Music Japan

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

Like RoyHahn stated, Mike said all songs are between 3-4 minutes. So semantically evrything's okay, if all songs are approx. 3:03. On the other hand I think Mike could have used another formulation in this case. You can hardly speak of songs having a length between 3 and 4 minutes, if in fact all songs are only barely over the three minutes line.

Nevertheless 36 minutes is okay for me. Who am I, to tell anybody how long his/her/their albums have to be?

Last edited: May 8, 2012
    AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Exactly. My only complaint about ATS was the lack of more full length songs that could be listened to on their own from time to time...LT will have 11 full songs at minimum if not 12.

So when you think about it, we get more full length songs + whatever remixes they give us . I'm down with this.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Twelve 3 minute tracks are much better than nine 4-5 minute tracks plus six interludes (ATS).

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Because they wouldn't play it live. But it's OK to count it as a full song though. It's just my opinion

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Because instrumentals aren't full songs. Give me a fucking break and get real!

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This guy has a good point. As much as I totally love ATS and practically bow before it, it really didn't have that many "full tracks" at all. The interludes were just 1-2 minute tracks, and some people even argue that tracks like Empty Spaces were filler.

Andreina

How about Mike going online on Twitter and cite this thread "That information is misleading" :lol:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

:lol:. "Album actually is 10 minutes. Warner Japan was wrong."

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

I guess. This just means that when I feel in the mood to listen to a slightly longer song with an epic build-up like The Catalyst... I'll just have to listen to The Catalyst. Speaking of which, I think I'll listen to The Catalyst now.

The Catalyst.

Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I cant believe people are making such a big deal over it. I wasn't surprised what so ever. I'm looking forward to the songs on the album, not the length.

Ant

Ant Ambient

OK, first of all, 70-80 minutes? Why are you going to the extreme to disagree with people who wanted a lengthier album? It's not 12 minutes or five hours. There's plenty of variability in there.

The deluxe edition of Keane's Strangeland just came out, and that's over an hour. The standard edition is 45 minutes. I'll absolutely listen to either edition completely and don't find any of the songs to be "weak" or "filler." Your argument also precludes the fact that shorter albums are just as likely to have "weak" and "filler" material. This record is shorter than Hybrid Theory, an already-short album! I don't have to be grateful for something I disagree with. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

Yes, album lengths are going to matter to me, especially if I am disappointed with the direction the album appears to be taking to begin with. Why should I judge their work on an album based on the hypothetical scenario of future albums? I judge each album as its own, and that's how I'm judging Living Things: based on the information and material we're given. Not the fact that the band will surely release future albums.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Err they played all the instrumentals off ATS live in Sydney and the recordings when needed ie The Requiem.

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Well... I would have liked it if it were, 42, 44 minutes. Not much far-out shit you can do in a 3 minute song.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

36 min is ok with me. That's the lenght of HT/Meteora. And I don't find those records too short

I remember Chester said back in the days something like "We're making short songs and short records because you know, we're trying to keep you attracted by the record from the start to the end. We're trying to kick you in the ass from the start to the end. It wouldn't be the same if we were making longer records, because people would get bored while listening to it". That was before MTM and ATS, which were longer because they weren't meant to be firecracker records.

Living Things will apparently be, so its lenght fits the goal perfectly in my opinion.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

This pretty much kills any hope for more experimental song structures/extended intros and outros, etc.

LP, I am dissapoint.

Fury99

Fury99 4EVER LP

you people need to relax, first of all, it's not officially confirmed yet, and second of all, even if it was 36 minutes, it fine for me since Hybrid Theory and Meteora is around the same length

YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

As long as it's good, I don't mind the length at all. And I'm sure it will be good :p

Andreina

I'm not necessarily talking about those. As I stated that the ATS interludes did have a meaning and a context, and serve as an intro to other songs (also tied the album together). I was a bit more specifically referring to Cure for the Itch and Session, sorry for being that vague.

Also, those interludes are short enough to merge with the setlist.. I doubt they would play a full 3~4 minute instrumental live.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Poor Ed. You left him out.

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

I thought exactly the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.