Against Me!'s Tom Gabel Is Becoming a Woman

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by @LP2K12, May 9, 2012.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'm in a weird place with the idea of it, actually. I'm all for the pursuit of happiness, and if drastic surgeries are going to make you happy, right on man. But a transwoman isn't, to me, an outright woman. Calling one by it's prefered pronoun is something of a courtesy to me, not exactly something you must do or else be worse than Hitler.

That said, "morally", I have no issue with it. Live and let live.

That's not how DNA works.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Read the edit to my post. I wasn't clear enough in my reply, implying that I thought DNA changes, when I know DNA doesn't change.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Would anyone here date a guy who went through this procedure? I guess the answer to that question ought to put a lid on the matter.

Blackee Dammet

Probably not.

shinformant

shinformant Banned

Haha wow. It can appal you all you like, but if you're shallow and ignorant like that don't try to project it.

Would anyone here date Agent O? Seriously.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
    Agent

What's so shallow and ignorant about this? I asked a legit question with all seriousness. I don't know what I said that you found oh so offensive.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
    Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I agree. Not wanting to date a chick that has/had a dick and balls isn't exactly shallow.

Whoever wants to date a trans-woman either has that sexual preference or maybe no preference at all. As a heterosexual male though, I couldn't do it. They could be hot as fuck, but that's not how I roll.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I don't understand why that would matter

Ant

Ant Ambient

Quit being a bigot (linking to the definition before the inevitable denial takes place). Some people wouldn't, some people would. There are numerous other factors that would impact that choice, such as the fact that a woman who transitioned from a man wouldn't be able to have kids. It doesn't matter in this case, however, as Tom/Laura's wife is going to stay with her.

I'm having a hard time comprehending why you're so offended by one person's choice to live as the gender she identifies as. Your questions are offensive because you've said you find it "appalling" that someone being is who they are. To quote you:
    You clearly don't respect what Tom/Laura is going through. You're using the same arguments anti-gay crusaders use.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

My question is how would you know if s(he) doesn't tell you. For example, look up info on Jenny Hiloudaki, s(he) started on female sex hormones at the age of 13 and underwent vaginoplasty (SRS) at the age of 20. She was a model and ran a brothel. Many clients claimed they had no idea. If you look at her modeling pictures and compare her to some other post-ops I'm sure you'd find it hard to distinguish the difference between her and a "real" female.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I don't see why they wouldn't, love concurs all.

Also you seem to confuse Gender with Sex, and I can assure you they are not one in the same. It's a very complicated thing.

Distinction between Sex and Gender
    A Primer
    A child raised without gender.

Please do some reading and broaden your understandings between the two.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
    Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I'll be honest. There was a time where I probably would have found this appalling, too (a reaction stemming from ignorance more than anything else). But the fact that someone is willing to go through hormone therapy and gender reassignment surgery really is evidence enough of how serious gender dysphoria is.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Indeed, ignorance is a huge problem. It's just that when people ignore their ignorance and fail to actually learn and understand is where bigotry is born.

Anyway, to post a few pictures of a beautiful person here for those who appreciate beauty in all forms, I present: Kayo Satoh - One of Japan's best Street Fighter Champion. (P.S. She's also a fashion model.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More

Last edited: May 14, 2012
    Blackee Dammet

^^

If they all looked like that, it would be pretty rad.

How bigoted is it to say this individual here freaks me right the fuck out, however?

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Thank you

shinformant

shinformant Banned

Never mind how boiling its acceptability down to whether or not people would want to date her is pretty damn mysoginistic, even taking the transgender aspect out of the equation. Because y'know, the only way a woman can ever REALLY be validated is by some dickweed on the internet finding her attractive.

Agent

Of course there are number of other factors but the one I mentioned would be high up in a lot of people's list. I still don't understand why its any less a factor than the others. And like I said, I can totally respect the fact that the transformation is bringing peace to someone's life. But the process of going about it is something I can't wrap my head around. If that makes me a bigot then so be it.

Kind of my point.

Oh please get the fuck down from your high horses. Do you really think outer beauty doesn't influence someone's choice to be with someone else?

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

No, but not everyone is attracted to the same thing/what you're attracted to. Why should someone not want to be the gender that they actually are just because LPA User:Agent O doesn't think they're attractive?

The reason you and Blackee Dammet are freaked out by that girl is because she's unattractive, not because she's transgender. There's enough evidence to suggest that the two aren't related, either way.

ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

Word.