House Finale Theory - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Derek, May 22, 2012.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

So for those of you who saw the last episode of House, you'll know that in the remaining 20 minutes of the show, House tried to escape the burning building, only to have a beam seemingly fall on top of him and the building explode with him inside. It is presumed he is dead, until Wilson gets a text message with 'SHUT UP YOU IDIOT' during the funeral for house...causing Wilson to return to their old apartment, to find a very alive House waiting for him. The ending suggests that House faked his own death, permanently leaving medicine to focus on Wilson and make the last 5 months of his life (since he had cancer) as great as possible.

However; some bits just don't add up. For example, watch the explosion scene. There is no way anybody realistically could've survived an explosion like that or got out in time. Not only that, notice that House has no cane when greeted by Wilson at the end of the episode. My predictions are that the last 10-15 minutes of the episode exist solely in Wilson's head, and are created as a fantasy for the dying Wilson, and that what we see is nothing more than Wilson's own dellusions. I believe House really died.

Thoughts?

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

No. House isn't going away, they're making a sequel! House M.D 2! *ANYTHING TO STOP THE PAIN*

Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

Just finished watching it. Ive got to agree with the theory you have mentioned. The missing cane had me thinking of something like an delusion by Wilson. I have alwwys enjoyed the Show very much and this ending is imo really fitting.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Anyway, now that the series is done I have a lot of catching up to do. I wanted to watch it all without waiting and now I can.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm pretty sure it's just bad, illogical writing. The last 5 episodes were some of my favorites, but you can't analyze some parts of it without getting angry. Fingerprints on paper that was stuffed down the toilet? Seriously? Fingerprints are hard enough to get on things that haven't been crumpled and shoved into water. And even if they could magically get the prints, THEY WERE HIS TICKETS! Obviously his prints would be on them. Anyone could have flushed them. And he just flushed paper down a toilet, which I don't see how could be proven as blatant vandalism. There is no case against him whatsoever.

Then there's the whole paper-clogging-the-piping-bad-enough-to-basically-explode nonsense. That would maybe happen in some 100-year-old house, but not in a fairly new hospital. They must have had one of the worst plumbers known to man. Pipes are designed to handle way more than that.

We also see House's ID under Foreman's table that was wobbling. He likely put that there while he was in there switching the dental records.

Edit: and apparently David Shore confirmed House was alive and faked his death.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
    Rosh

Rosh Well-Known Member

I also subscribed to the possibility of that theory but I realize that external situations (like Foreman discovering the ID) suggest against the 'Wilson-hallucinating' theory.

Also, David Shore had an interview posted on TVLine that confirmed that House did escape through the back. So it was, at least, written for House to have successfully escaped.

That said, I think it's still a plausible interpretation to take away that House is actually dead and this is Wilson's way of coping. The whole escape and switching of dental records seemed very facile and convenient, but I think either way, it's a good ending.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I probably enjoyed this season as much as any other one. 13 wasn't around, which really sucked, but we did get Adams and we finally didn't have to deal with fucking Cuddy anymore. That's an improvement in my book. The writing wasn't great, but the dynamic of the show seemed more interesting this season. And Chase had a lot of substance to his character this year.

Cyanide

Cyanide 1989

David Shore dismissed conspiracy theories about House being dead. You can read an interview with him right here: http://tvline.com/2012/05/22/house-series-finale-burning-questions-cuddy/

I think you have to remember that when the building collapsed, the selfish, egocentric, and careless version of House was buried there. He changed and gave up his career and life for Wilson. The cane was basically part of that version of him, along with the Vicodin, so he probably got rid of both. Perhaps the pain in his leg disappeared too, seeing as it was mostly psychological. Who knows? It's a satisfying, open ending, and they wrapped up pretty much everything they could in 44 minutes.

I'm still pissed they didn't actually do a 2-hour episode, because everything seemed rushed and forcefully squeezed inside this finale. A 2-hour ending would've done the show more justice, and would've left room for better writing and focus on the rest of the characters too. After all, they weren't just employees, some of them actually had an impact on House's life. That said, the finale was still satisfying, but nothing spectacular or epic.

On a side note, Shore mentions that he's not entirely ready to be done with the character, which might suggest a reboot eventually or some sort of spin-off?

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's actually a very poetic way of looking at it. I like that.

But yeah, David Shore clarified everything. The last episode did feel rushed, but I'm okay with it. They mercifully gave House a 5 month happy ending with Wilson, with a lot of parallels to the ending of the original Sherlock Holmes story. If it had been up to me, House would be dead.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Interesting Theory. Same with Derek's - shame though it was cut down by the writer! :lol:

It was a Good ending to a Good series, & first I felt cheated a bit, as I thought it was "typical" they wouldn't dare kill him off, but then hearing House's reasoning for it was quite touching and that he really did care for him in the end.