Absolute Radio: Interview With Chester Summary | Chester Talks LIVING THINGS And More

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

You're all welcome.

I'm glad I got to experience this and see how awesome, friendly, funny and humble Chester really is. He stayed back to sign autographs for everyone and took pictures too. He had the whole room laughing non-stop with his jokes! After hearing how happy and excited he sounded about the upcoming album, my anticipation for LIVING THINGS has doubled.

I'LL BE GONE seems like it will be a great track. :)

Niklas

Niklas BadaBinge LPA VIP

thanks for the write-up, Ree. Very Interesting and Entertaining read! Looking forward to the whole Interview and, of course, the Hype for LT is getting bigger and bigger, if that`s even possible ;)

Venom

Venom Member

Thanks for the wonderful summa-REE *that's right, folks, it's Torturous Pun Time!* The new pieces of information about the album were really informative yet kept it mysterious - the only songs we got news about are VICTIMIZED and I'LL BE GONE. Honestly, I'm most excited for the ballads, POWERLESS, I'LL BE GONE and possibly ROADS UNTRAVELED, hopefully they bring back some of the Minutes to Midnight ballad-vibe. Really can't wait for the album now.

AndreyKamensky

AndreyKamensky hakuna matata

Great read! can't wait for the video :)

linkinlovprk

linkinlovprk Lpfuse refugee

To me the reason I've become uninterested in burn it down is just the average Linkin park feel now. I do understand it can't be.helped, especially seeing how they wanted to create a new hybrid of old and new sounds, so in that respect I give them a great job. For the mission set out it was perfect. But For me as a fan who has literally loved everything that's cons out thus far, I just didn't dig it . Sorry to go off topic I just saw the fighting over bid and it's been quiiiiiite some time since, I've posted. The summary was very excellently done and I appreciate the length of. It was very detailed and I'm sure it wasn't fun to type haha, so I do thank you for that.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

It's okay if you don't like the song, people have different tastes and opinions, you won't get flamed for not liking it. The thing is that sometimes people just ask for too much or go like "Linkin Park should sound like this or that", unfortunately, the band will not make their music according to what the people wants to hear but to what they feel creatively at the moment.

People will like or dislike, but bashing a song and saying that "it sucks" just because it doesn't meet with their taste is just lame.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Thanks Ree, what a great read. :)

Arun1910

Arun1910 Well-Known Member

Brilliant article! Was a really, really good read. Well done Ree! This has made me really intrigued for LIVING TINGS.

Nathanleedavies94

Nathanleedavies94 Well-Known Member

I'm getting more and more exited for the release of LIVING THINGS!! only 25 more days xD!

Sohail Abbasi

Sohail Abbasi LP LIVE FREAK

no audio or video interview?

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

The info is in the first paragraph of the first post...

Cely_lp

Cely_lp Well-Known Member

My only problem with BID is that the song didn't surprise me at the first listening. I don't care about song structure, I just wanna be surprised by the song like I was with LGM (classic LP structure) and ATS. I was a little bit worried after BID, but LGM make me feel very positive about the new record.

Thank you Ree!! :awesome: I'm really curious about Castle Of Glass and I'll Be Gone.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

BID isn't at all in your face though, so I'll take Chesters words with a grain of salt.

This^.

Well, more like;

-Iridescent - Intro> Verse> Chorus> instrumental break> Verse> Chorus> Guitar break> chorus (gang vocal), Crescendo (gang "let it go")>Chorus

Going into further detail, the song gradually builds itself up through each part:
    Sparse to start with the first verse is just lead vocal over piano and some atmospherics.
    First chorus is the same but kick drum is added then some vocal harmony with hi-hat.
    Instrumental break, guitar & added synth
    2nd verse has vocal harmony, added atmosphere & slightly more developed beat.
    2nd chorus, beat again is slightly more developed.
    Then it breaks down with the guitar line and builds itself back up through the gang vocal segment into something of a crescendo with the full band (guitars, full beat/drum fills, gang vocals & vocal fills).
    Final chorus, full guitar & drum tracks added

I may have missed bits, but that's more or less it.

-BITS - Intro> Verse> Chorus> instr break> Verse> Chorus x2> guitar solo> chorus breakdown> Chorus full> Verse lyric(outro)

This (& WFTE) is simpler than Iridescent, but still has some development through the song. Verse 2 has added harmony, fuller beat, guitar is a little clearer. Second chorus is, again, more fleshed out than the first, etc.

-WFTE - Intro> Chorus> Verse> pre-chorus> Verse> pre-chorus> Chorus> guitar solo> pre chorus> Chorus/outro

Full first chorus gives way to sparse vocal/piano/guitar, drums added midway through verse. All that's added for the first pre-chorus is backing vocal. Second verse added bass, harmony vocal, drums etc. Second pre-chorus more fleshed out than first. Guitar solo continues on through final chorus, etc,.

There's multiple things to dig into in each of those songs. The lyrical content paints evocative imagery in my head or has a messege, interesting musically, more going on structurally than is first apparent & the songs just have a lot of heart.

Most of that good stuff is lost on BID. Some added harmony in the second verse/pre-chorus, but it's pretty static. Which would be fine if the instrumental wasn't boring or it had content but lyrically it's very bland. It's not about anything, it doesn't go anywhere & it has no heart to back up being so straight forward. It's a hook with no meat on it to chew on.

Looking back at that I guess I can break down what I want from a song/album into 4 or 5 categories.
    -Content - Lyrical themes & how well they're put across.
    -Instrumentation - melodies, rhythms, muscianship.
    -Structure - how the song builds & developes.
    -Performance - Is it genuine? Does it have heart?
    -And maybe the production/mix, but I can usually get past a bad mix if 3 or 4 of the above a covered.

So one of the first 4 being weak has to be bolstered by another being that much stronger. Simple structure & instrumentation can be massively elevated by by great lyrics & performance. Although I will say if the lyrics are utterly awful then all of the others being awesome probably won't save it. Simple lyrics can be elevated by interesting instrumetation & structure.

For me, BID maybe ticks one of those boxes. LGM maybe ticks one or two...

...I have rambled far too long.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

When I say mainstream it just sounds like every other pop rock/electronic band. I listen to the local mordern rock station and everything blends. Including burn it down.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

@Moridin

If you wanna do it like that, BID: Intro build up > Verse > Chorus > Inst. break > Verse > Chorus > Rap bridge with diff instr behind it > Verse building to Chorus > Rap mixed in with Chorus repeated > Outro

Can't think of LP having used exactly this structure before. Hell, it's way more interesting than New Divide but lots of LP fans hold that as one of their greatest tracks of the era. BitS/WftE may have had more build-up but I still wouldn't call their instrumentalization very interesting. I agree about the lyrical weakness of BID though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.