LIVING THINGS Release Day Challenge.

Discussion in 'News' started by JJ, Jun 6, 2012.

1. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

That was priceless. Oh God.

2. LPEROCKER

LPEROCKER Member

How do you figure?

Everyone is making a big deal about what he or she asked Mike and how Mike responded. Mike didnt own Spraypaint at all. He just avoided the question by saying that he or she is silly.

And why did spraypaint deserve for Mike to say anything bad to he or she? is it because Spraypaint is not a little fan boy like most of you and is not afraid to critique LP's music? I know you or anyone else would never say anything like that to Mike.

Dont try to poke fun at others cause they have their own opinion. Not everyone sees things your way and thats okay. Those people who dont see eye to eye with you dont have to be owned by anyone. Or maybe they do to make people with your views feel better....

Its okay to think for yourself every now and then....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  3. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

One problem: He didn't actually critique the music.

Critiquing is constructive. All spraypaint did was go on Mike's blog and act like a disrespectful prick. I respect his opinions, and anyone's, as long as they express it in an intelligent manner. Just complaining about how bad it is and trying to tell Mike how to make music is not intelligent, it's ridiculous.

4. LPEROCKER

LPEROCKER Member

According to who's standards?

And after reading his question/statement to Mike, it doesn't come off as disrespectful. Yeah, maybe he could have worded it a little differently but its not over the top. I think you are just one of those people that gets defensive when others talk about LP in a way that 'YOU' might see as disrespectful.

Read it over again and tell me how thats not critiquing..Honestly, it just sounds like a cry from a fan who used to really enjoy LP's music who is desperately trying asking LP to return to their roots in a very straight forward/blunt way. Lets remember that not everyone is educated and can communicate like others.

Mike, I have my own challenge for you: Start making amazing music again!
    MTM was ok(certainly not worth the 4 year wait, however FM was awesome- too bad that project was abandoned)However ATS was just so bad- I’m not even going to go into that anymore.As a former die-hard LP fan( with tons of merch and tats of LP), I’m still in dismay over the direction you’ve gone with Rick Rubin at the helm.Obviously Warner told you to post this to boost album sales. As a fan who has already pre-ordered the album based on loyalty, I don’t see the harm in a little sneak peak.I hope LT is a step in the right direction. We miss the rapping, guitars, energy and unique style LP used to have. Bring back FM!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  5. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

You must not know who spraypaintninkpens is.

6. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

[​IMG]

Strike 1: Disrespectful. Saying that he's not making amazing music is stating an opinion as fact. Ergo, not critique.

Strike 2: Saying an album is bad is not critique. I'm sorry, it's not. Nothing-- NOTHING of substance from here.

Strike 3: If they wanted to boost album sales, they'd make the same music over and over and over with HT part 3. And there's ZERO evidence supporting his claims. Nothing of substance from here.

Strike 4: A fan upset at the way they changed asking-- nay, demanding-- LP go "BACK TO DER ROOTZ" and make nu metal again. Saying LP isn't making unique music? ...That's kinda bullshit. Look at Lies Greed Misery-- Shit, look at Robot Boy. It's different. That's why he's complaining. He wants nu metal.

This is not critique. There is nothing in here that actively critiques why he disliked an album aside from the fact that their style changed. There's no specifics. There's not even a mention of their new style other than "IT SUCKS BRING BACK OLD LP".

This is not critique.

This is butthurt.

7. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Mine I guess. You think trying to tell an artist how to create is an intelligent critique? Hardly.

"MTM was ok(certainly not worth the 4 year wait, however FM was awesome- too bad that project was abandoned)However ATS was just so bad- I’m not even going to go into that anymore."

He went onto Mike's blog and said MTM "certainly was not worth the 4 year wait" and said ATS "was just so bad he wasn't even going to go into it anymore." He made himself seem incredibly self-important, like Mike owed him especially for that 4 year wait, and that ATS was so bad he just couldn't bare talking about it anymore. seriously? he needs to grow up.

You clearly don't know me very well. I've criticized LP's music a ton. But I always try to do it in as thoughtful a manner as possible. I don't go on Mike's blog and start incessantly bitching and whining. I think YOU just agree with spraypaint so you feel embarrassed about the reaction he got. but maybe I'm wrong.

Well, I read it again. It still sounds like someone who thinks they are way more important than they are. MTM was "certainly not worth" the 4 year wait, ATS "was just so bad," I hope LT is a step "in the right direction," "Obviously Warner told you to post this," "Bring back FM!"

Are you kidding me? It's not a desperate cry, it's a list of demands. Fuck that.

And for the record, I actually respect spraypaint in a way. He obviously dislikes LP's new direction, and yet he CONTINUES to post on the forums and buy/listen to the music. He's certainly committed. He just also acts like a petulant child.

Edit: Hahahaha. I seem to have been ninja'd by Elaine! nice post.

8. _Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

Mike didn't say anything bad to Spraypaint, I said he "got the response he deserved" because he'd been pestering Mike for years about it.

It's okay to not be a little fanboy. I don't care much for Meteora, I hate half of MtM, and I'm still not sure whether I like BID or not. It's also okay to like post-Fort Minor work. Spraypaintninkpens made a name for him/herself on these (and other) LP forums by being an unabashed post-Meteora/FM hater. With "The Catalyst", "Wretches and Kings" and the release of ATS that all came to a head - Spraypaint declared that he was a "true fan" and we were not, because we liked LP's new direction and he hated it.

It's already been explained in-depth that his post on Mike's blog was basically a personal plea to Mike to turn away from all of the evolution that he and LP have been so excited about and proud of, and make another nu-metal album or start up Fort Minor again. Mike's response was basically a "no" without saying no. And don't say that Mike should have reminded him that LP is going in this direction because they want to - that obviously hasn't sunk in over the last half decade.

9. LPMeteorain

LPMeteorain Guest

Too many posts to try to quote "the right way", so I'll just say that I agree with Xero21, Elaine, Depression, etc...and I'm sure LPERocker will think that's because "I'm a fanboy" who gets upset at any negative talk about LP's music, but in fact I just agree that I only respect opinions when they're backed up, and I can be lenient on how intelligently responses are worded, but if you either don't make your point even vaguely clear, or worse don't express evidence at all to support your mindset, then forget it. I actually can't stand that, nevermind just don't respect it. I've run into too many people trying to tell me something I liked wasn't good, and I don't go "NO YOU'RE AN IDIOT", I ask them why they think so, and often just get "It sucks dude"...ok? Good for you. That isn't about not being educated, that's about being basically stupid and I don't have time to listen or care.

I was going to go into all the lines from Spraypaint's post that I shook my head at (even copied his whole post so I could reference it) but Elaine and Xero21 basically took it out of my mouth (or hands) as every line they pointed to is every line I shook my head at. So thanks guys for sparing me there.

Edit: I just ended a sentence with "at"...I guess I should've said "is every line at which I shook my head"......(I'm just kidding I'm not an actual grammar nazi, but I guess it's ok to do it to myself...(bad Lies Greed Misery reference?))...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
  10. LPEROCKER

LPEROCKER Member

I see where you guys are coming from and I guess I cant disagree with that. Although, I still believe that as a fan he had a right to tell Mike how he felt about the music and the direction of the new music, but he could have worded it a little better. And yes, just saying their music sucks doesn't really have any substance. Its criticizing rather then actually critiquing. Thanks for all of your replies to my initial post. It was very insightful! Didnt mean to start the great debate here but just wanted to see everyone's input. I also dont really know spraypaint so I dont know his "rap sheet" around here... lol

11. _Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

Of course he has a right to express his opinion, but that doesn't mean Mike has to sit back and take it. That's the crux of the issue here, Spraypaint made a living with posts saying that Mike and LP were going in the wrong music, calling their new music terrible with the reasoning that it didn't sound like HT, Meteora, or FM. His entire post on Mike's blog would have had the same well-constructed argument as if he'd said "Mike you need to have red spiky hair again because you were cool when you had red spiky hair."

I think we all overreacted a bit here. For those of us who enjoyed verbal fencing matches with him during the last album cycle (which was basically him continuing to do the same parry-thrust-thrust combo despite being repeatedly countered, and then shouting "NUH-UH!" when someone scored a point on him), it felt good to see Mike finally respond to him, essentially siding against him and making all of our arguing worth it (finally). I can only assume you saw a bunch of people piling onto some random dude and thought we were being terrible people (and we were but it was soooooooo worth it).

<3

12. LPMeteorain

LPMeteorain Guest

''

No worries, I don't think you started anything negative here and I know my post was just response and not 'angry response' lol, and yea of course spraypaint can say they don't like the music, just as mentioned, without backing it's a thin/weak argument that doesn't hold anything, especially when just because they want the old music back. I can understand that, my closest cousin feels that way, he specifically loved the distorted guitars and that's what turned his ear to Linkin Park to begin with, and he's far from an unintelligent or uneducated arguer. I don't agree it's a needed sound, as many of my favourite LP songs don't have it, but I definitely understand, and I did like several songs with that sound as well.

I have run into the odd person who's not the biggest fan of LP, but they've said why in a way that at least made sense and didn't leave it at "They just do" when asked "Why do they suck?" and sure enough, those odd times, I responded with a slight nod and "Fair enough".

13. Bradley

Bradley Butt makes me weep, I call it a “boo-hooty".

I have already set up a "Listening Party" with many of my friends on the 26th! Currently I'm expecting at least 3-5 friends and it might increase throughout the weeks. I'm posting a picture here and tweeting it to mike of all of us listening to the album! It's going to be a great day I cannot wait.

14. Caniba

Caniba Well-Known Member

15. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

16. Arun1910

Arun1910 Well-Known Member

You win an internet!

*it wont let me embed it* http://pics.ohlawd.net/img/one free internets.jpg

17. Inferno

Inferno Firing squad or lineup?

I will try! I will Mike, I really do want to! Maybe I should just lock my computer in a safe and give the key to a friend to hold onto until after the release.

Yeah, I completely failed with ATS. I spent an entire night listening to the album (out of order!) and while I was amazed (Iridescent gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it, no lie) it was missing something... not in terms of the music, but the expierence felt incomplete.

18. laura

laura Well-Known Member

first of all looks ok mike on 26 seconds to listen to the cd I bring a cake? and sparkling wine? must be fantastic on CD

19. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Your English is horrible....

but I like you.....

20. maik_gianino

maik_gianino Well-Known Member