How is LIVING THINGS shaping up for you so far?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Blake, May 29, 2012.

?

what do you think of LT so far

1. It will be their best album

31 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. It's good but could be better

25 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. Most likely won't beat ATS

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I have mixed feelings

16 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. I dislike what we've heard so far

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. I hate LT so far

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
    Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

While ATS certainly did flesh out the electronic side to Linkin Park, it was used in unconventional ways. The electronic breakdown in The Catalyst for example, the electro build-up late in Robot Boy...etc... Living Things just sounds like the guitar parts and electronic parts from Hybrid Theory and Meteora have been switched. That's not that big of a change, just a new distribution of roles. That would've been cool before A Thousand Suns, but the places they put electronics in their songs was so much more complex on that album that it makes Burn It Down and Lies Greed Misery sound really basic. Anyone can loop an electronic riff, ala, Burn It Down. But the build up in The Catalyst to that electronic bridge? Holy hell, where did that come from?

Again, this isn't to say I think they're bad songs, but I find myself listening to the prior album a lot more than the current songs available. That's a first for me.

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

From what I've heard so far, I can honestly say I'm excited for the new album and that it has potential to be their best. That being said, BID didn't strike me as anything special (although its growing on me of late). LGM, I enjoyed quite a lot because it had that promised high energy. And the contrast between those two songs leads me to believe that this album will be unique. Good times to be had. :D

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Fair enough. I think both of our points can be seen as true. I knew from the starting line that LT was not going to be ATS part deux. Knowing that, I wasn't expecting it to be all "out there" and as expirimental.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

yeah,t hat's what really has me excited is how LP is so unique and has so many different sounds. This album itself will have lots of different sounds and it will be awesome

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

Although I like BID and LGM, I dislike what we've heard so far. I expected more quality and less radio-friendly songs, BID is a good song, but reflecting on LP's career, they can do so much better. Same goes for LGM. This is the first time I'm worried if I'll actually like an LP album and somehow feel like they've dropped the ball. Too much electronics for me, I want to hear MTM-like guitars combined with The Catalyst-like synths.

Zumi

Zumi Sanji-like

Really? :facepalm:

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

Yes, really. The fact that there's screaming doesn't mean it's not radio-friendly, in a sense that its too compact, simple, repetitive and, in some instances, flat. Also, don't facepalm personal opinions. Makes you look like a turd.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'm trying to recognize, too, that the band wrote, recorded, mastered, and released this album in 1/2 the time they usually take. With that being said, the songs don't go through as an intense "creative process" as songs on ATS or even MTM did. Not sure it'll be as good as ATS, but it will have a half dozen songs that will be amazing to add into a set-list rotation for live shows.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

You gotta keep in mind that all of the information that we have gotten about the album has pointed to compact, Linkin Park-esque radio shit that they have always done sans ATS

So if you get facepalmed for not knowing something that's been said in half a dozen interviews, i completely understand.

shwcobb

shwcobb 持ち上げて 解き放して

Compact is fine, it's just one of the many things that lead LGM in a wrong way, for me personally. Same for BID. They say it's a firecracker record etc etc (FYI I read every interview on LT), combining the sounds, bringing the more electronic sound from ATS, minus the sonic journey aspect of it, and bringing the fierce and boldness of their first 2 records, yes. But for me, what seems to be the ending result is far from plausible. I think they could do much better with BID melody, which is so simple yet beautiful.

Blake

The last couple comments just remind me how I haven't heard screaming on the radio in America in YEARS (besides a specific genre station), not even the rock stations play songs with screaming now a days.

TVTV

TVTV Active Member

This has Mike's best rapping so far, but the two released songs aren't as strong as anything from ATS. I hope they surprise me when I hear the album.

Blake

you think it's Mike best rapping so far? eh, to me the BID rapping is good but could be better and not nearly as good as Ht style rapping. However, the LGM rapping is some of his best easily IMO

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Unpredictable.

kwill

kwill Well-Known Member

I am cautiously optimistic that it will be their best.

The only thing I'm really worried about is their song structures. I don't want every song to be "verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus" like Meteora was. I want more complex song structures like those in ATS, but combined with the energy Meteora had. Songs like Waiting For the End, for example, wouldn't have had half the magic it does if it had a normal pop-song structure.

nscoope

nscoope Well-Known Member

I agree that LP can do much better than the 2 songs we've heard so far. BID and LGM aren't horrible songs or anything. They're actually fun to listen to but I just feel that LP is capable of making way more impressive music than what we've heard so far. That's what is cool though, we've only heard 2 songs, 3 if you count the live version of Tinfoil, and so we still have most of the album to listen to so there could still be some better songs. So, while BID and LGM are fun songs, they don't match the quality of anything on ATS in my opinion so I think LIVING THINGS will be very very fun to listen to, just not as impressive as ATS.

Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

You've articulated my thoughts on this better than I ever have. They've done things that are different but it's a safe song. I'm not expecting to like this album as much as ATS, which I think was brilliant. I don't need another ATS but I liked the constant risks which made songs interesting. But I'm still hopeful that Burn it Down and LGM are my least favorite songs on the album and LP proves me wrong.

SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

I have to say that, after hearing Burn It Down, Lies Greed Misery and reading the descriptions for the whole album, that it will certainly be a great. However, I think it won't be as good as A Thousand Suns. That album was just perfection for me.

Pyro

Pyro Well-Known Member

The two songs that have been released left me with a bad impression on the album, but after watching the latest LPTV episode and hearing that snippet, I`m having mixed feelings on it. That snippet sounded way too epic.