Official LIVING THINGS Review Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Ben, Jun 15, 2012.

1. TLC

TLC Well-Known Member

Can not give a whole review at this point, have to listen some more often to the album. But whar is fact: there a really graet melodies: Roads Untraveled, Castle Of Glass, Powerless. Other songs (like Until It Breaks) has to grow on me, i like the short part of Chester [Give me the strength of the rising sun...], unfortunately it is so short... Lost In The Echo is a great opener in fact!

2. merrillmind

merrillmind Well-Known Member

Heres my take as a fan of this band since 2000

LITE-10/10 I ave always appreciated the different paths this band has decided to take musically but fell in love back in 2000 when HT was released to this day every listen it sounds fresh like hearing it for the first time I had never heard music so diverse. This is perhaps the last throw back to those HT times you can say nu-metal if you like but it's just plain KICK ASS! Mike rapping with about as much intensity as he's ever used and Chester reminding me why him Matt Bellamy of MUSE and Tom Chaplin of KEANE are the 3 best male vocalist alive and overall 3 of the best if not the best of all time. This song will be HUGE in sales and exposure will liken back to HT this song will be so played on radios 10 years from now it will have "In the end" and "Numb" like plays on radio.

IMR-10/10 Amazing intro and rite back to the PHENOMENAL vocal prowess of Chester this track I imagine is being heavily considered by the band and Warner to be a single at somepoint hope it gets a shot with so many "single-worthy" tracks on LT and knowing that LITE will basically either be the next single or at least in the next 6 months. Mike's part at the end of this song adds a layer to the song that only he could give and you only ever find at least IMO on a Linkin Park song.

BID-10/10 Loved the song from day one great imagery used and a very epic vocal by Chester who has never dissappointed a chorus that I have EVER heard him sing, the way he says "burn" in the chorus is such a great choice of note. Mike rapping always cool and the tracks melodic structure just grooves and fits even better when hearing on the album in it's proper place, this song may not be for every LP fan but I love it's anthemic vibe and LP plays to such big crowds a new anthem is great and played extremely well during their pre-album tour they just finished.

LGM-10/10 Following LITE that "old-school" feel is very present but with a new edge very streamlined and this one is fast over before you know it. Once again hearing Mike spit out rymes with such fluid aggresion not since Meteora have I heard him so on point, Chester reallys sings his ass of building to a very nu-metal climatic finish which you want to last forever an amazing "in your face" song that will be in setlist rotation for many years I hope since it plays even better live. I love the experimental softer LP but only Mike and Chester can do justice to the "rap-rock" formula so to hear it still work and be so incredible after all these years is a welcome trip back in time.

IBG-10/10 This song reminds of Chesters work on "Out of Ashes" and thats a great thing IMO because I love hearing him sing and it's always nice to hear him sing high and out. The instrumentation is fantastic and the chorus just soars could easily be a single but wether it is or not Chester proves yet again why LP has been so successful a lot of it is due to Mike and the rest of the band all contributing but without Chester Bennington as lead vocalist this band would have NEVER reached the level of fame they have and continue to maintain.

COG-10/10 Lyrically this song really reminds me of just how great the really in-depth song writing from this band can be. The arrangement is so unlike the melodic flow and Mike taking the primary lead vocal is an excellent choice his tone always brings a different layer to LP it's very seldom he's singing lead but so far every song he does never makes you wish Chester was singing which matters most to me. The folk element really shines here and it's unlike any song I have heard nice to know LP is still pushing as many boundaries as possible with each record.

VICTIMIZED-10/10 Every member get's in on the action it feels like the music they began making rite when Chester first joined the band it's very all over the place in the best posiible way IMO. Mike's verse is so rapid fire can't believe just how many intense bars he's spitting on this new album so refreshing since he's one of my all time favorite emcee's. Chester's gutteral screams are so intense I know he's grown "more passionate" and overall I'd take singing to screaming but only Chester can hit those demonic notes with such brutal explosion. The guitar is great loud and shredding and hearing the scrach of Joe as the song ends just brings back all the memories of the HT EP and all their pre titled Linkin Park work hope to hear this live someday.

RU-101/10 The mood of this track is haunting and also uplifting the content of whats being said is just masterful IMO. The mixing on this album is so well done the way Mike takes lead with Chester backing him up and then reverse is genius and when Chester begins his verse I get chills of just how delicate his notes are. Another folk inspired song and LP can do folk like this anytime as far as I'm concerned their take on that genre or at least how they view is spectacular. Hearing the "WHOA-OH'S" just takes me on such an emotional journey this is a song that if they play live at some point will earn a HUGE round of applause from each crowd.

STB-10/10 The melody is out of this world and although very simple the words pack a lot of power when Mike's voice shifts into Chesters that moment just ignites something in me just beautiful. The synths are so wicked and seeing how short the song is I hope the band finds room in every setlist from now on to showcase this beauty another taste of folk inspiration and it's executed perfectly.

UIB-101/10 Originally listening I thought that VICTIMIZED was the most diverse and bizare song but not even close. For the last time on the album were treated an assault of Shinoda dropping bars like a BEAST! The rapid-fire rapping transitions into a beautiful part of Chester with a very uplifitng mesage then back to Mike leaving other emcee's in the dust with very choice words you can tell on this album he wanted the world to still no dont fuck with him or his band. In the most suprizing vocal of all time Brad sings a very mezmerizing closing section that elevates the tracks epicness and bizare factor cant wait to hear him do it live. This song shows that overall this band makes music for THEM and that's how it should it be no other band band makes music this diverse LP always have been a genre in of its self and this songs just further cements that IMO.

TINFOIL-10/10 Basically the intro to the EPIC closing track POWERLESS and it sets a very chilling tone that is built and carried into the last song Joe really can set a mood and he does it with this piece in almost no time at all.

POWERLESS-10/10 This almost tops TLTGYA as best album closer for but I dont think that any song will ever match that as a closing piece for me but this song is EPIC and a perfect ending to a PERFECT album IMO. Chester sings with such passion and the sadness and defeat in his voice when he first says "powerless" is so moving. This songs builds and builds with Chester macthing it's tone and intensity note to note the arrangement on this track is flawless IMO and as Chester belts his last note and the song fades into silence your left at the end of a OUTSTANDING ride through all that Linkin Park can do up till now because if this album proves anything it's that this band is always changing and we have only just begun at album 5 to scratch the surface of all that LP can do with music.

In closing LIVING THINGS finally knocks off HYBRID THEROY for me as the best Linkin Park album and pushes ATS to 3rd LIVING THINGS is a MASTERPIECE! Hopefully this will finally get them their honor of "Album of the Year Grammy" if not it still wont take away that is one of the greatest albums EVER made in the history of music and at just under 37 minutes it's hard to believe it goes by so fast. HYBRID THEROY was why I fell in love back in 2000 what made me take notice still to this day it sounds fresh becasue of how groundbreaking it was to music IMO but LIVING THINGS showcases what the band has grown to be giving a nod to all they have done and even some new territory explored and in about the same time it took HYBRID THEROY at the same length. The depth shown musically is STUNNING! Chester is arguably the greatest voclasit of ALL TIME! Mike one of the BEST EMCEE'S EVER! As well as true legend in songwriting and production. This band may be the most diverse in the history of music so in-depth so varried in just how they can execute a song and constantly adding to their "toolbox". Hopefully one day when critics and the general public get over their bashing of this band they will get the RESPECT they deserve until then happier than ever to a fan from the start.

THANK YOU LINKIN PARK
    FOR ALL THE YEARS OF EVOLVING MUSIC
    AND FOR MAKING THIS NOT ONLY YOUR FASTEST RELEASED ALBUM EVER
    BUT ALSO YOUR BEST
    LINKIN PARK FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Wait, there are people who actually don't like Mike's rap in Victimized? To me, it's like his best rap in years, only A Place For My Head can beat it. Victimized is a great song, but the best part is Mike's rap.

4. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

I've already mentioned - I'm not big on Victimized. And I'm sure it applies to many other fans as well. Here's what I wrote about it (main complaint being the song's length):

http://spydistrict.com/2012/06/living-things-by-linkin-park/

5. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

This isn't a review per se, but I would like to say that Until It Breaks isn't the big powerful track I was expecting. The rap is better than it's been, but I feel like it needed a more crushing percussive backdrop.

6. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

^ Yeah, I'm not a big fan of UIB. It sounds like three different demos trying to be one, but not sounding like it. Mike's rapping and the general lyrics are great, as is the production on Mike's rap part, but Chester's part sounds disjointed when it comes in. Same with Brad's outro. I think it's just trying to be too many things at once.

7. jsantoslive

jsantoslive Well-Known Member

I don't want to write a review for the whole album but I do want to say this if you're still listening to the rip delete that shit and get the CDQ version or wait for your pre order bc DAMNNN the CD version sounds soooo much better...the average listener may not notice the difference but everything sounds much more balanced and clean...Living Things 8/10 for me right now but is still growing on me!

8. SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Naw, I actually liked Brad's part at the very end. Chester's I can see the complaint somewhat. I more lament the fact that it wasn't very hard-hitting or "involved," if you take my meaning.

9. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

My LIVING THINGS review

LOST IN THE ECHO: This song kicks ass. I can imagine this being played at a huge sports stadium as the fans cheer. It has this big wall of sound feeling. The synths are catchy. Mike's rap is great and Chester sounds good as always. The scratched out screaming reminds me of Blackout. I feel this is a song for the fans who miss the old style. I'll be surprised if this doesn't become a single. 8.5/10

IN MY REMAINS: I love this song. It has a moody and creepy atmosphere created from the use of church organ like keyboards and Mike's distorted harmonies. Chester's vocals are just gorgeous here and the chorus are filled with energy. Mike finishes the song singing ''Like an army falling one by one by one''. 9/10

BURN IT DOWN: What I've Done part 3. It's a generic radio single at best. I still like it but it's weak compared to the rest of the album. Chester's verses are what stand out for me the most. 7.5/10

LIES GREED MISERY: The lyrics of this song are really angry and depressing but the song itself sounds cheerful and energetic. Great for a night club. Reminds me of Paper Planes by M.I.A. Chester's scream wasn't needed in my opinion but it was a fun song. 7/10 You need to see this btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOceJPCcHPY

I'LL BE GONE: I was expecting a ballad with this song but it was a straight forward energetic rock song dominated by Chester's powerful voice. He sounds excellent here and the chorus are catchy. The bridge is nothing too special though. 8.5/10

CASTLE OF GLASS: This is where the album starts to turn into something incredible. It starts of with a drum beat followed by a synth and a catchy guitar or keyboard melody(hard to tell what it is) Mike starts to sing in this moody atmospheric song. I can imagine a bar fight to this song. The folk influence here is obvious and I love it. The chorus are great. Chester and Mike's harmonies are just amazing. It sounds like it could be a successful single. 10/10

VICTIMIZED: This is not Linkin Park's heaviest song. I wasn't hoping for it to be. It starts off with a distortion sound followed by Rob banging on the drums as the guitar plays. You hear a speech or something. Sounds like an angry African(No idea) Mike sings a very folk like melody over fast drums and keys. It sounds incredible. Then Chester comes in screaming ''VICTIMIZED!'' It pauses and Mike comes in rapping. It uses reworked lyrics from the beginning of Waiting for the End which was great. Chester screams again and it's over. LP's shortest non instrumental song but very cool. 7.5/10

ROADS UNTRAVELLED: Possibly my favourite LP song at the moment. It starts off with some chimes. It sounds like the beginning of a lullaby. Piano comes in and Mike starts to sing. He found his singing voice. He is great. Chester joins Mike in an amazing harmony over a church organ. The chorus remind me of ''House of the Rising Sun''. Similar melody. Very folk like. Robs drums are just incredible here. A beautiful guitar comes in as Mike and Chester sing the chorus together and it stops as Chester sings the verse ending with ''if you need a friend, there's a seat here along side me''. You think it's over and the chorus start again. Very unlikely but I want this to be a single. 11/10. Seriously.... 10/10

SKIN TO BONE: This song is what would happen if ''In Pieces'' and ''When They Come for Me'' had a baby. It starts off with a synth and Mike's distorted vocals. A powerful beat starts over a fuzzy synth as Mike and Chester sing the verse. The chorus are like ''When They Come for Me'' as Chester sings ''Aaaaaaahh ahh aahhhhh Skin to Bone steel to rust!''. It sounds like folk. It's crazy and cool. 9/10

UNTIL IT BREAKS: I don't know what I think of this song. It's strange. The lack of Chester ruins it for me. His one chorus is incredible. It's very folk like. But I wish he had more. Mike's raps are insane. Second verse is the best. It's the one we heard live and it sounds awesome. Brad's singing ruined it for me. I like his singing but it should of been made into it's own song. It reminds me of ''Hands Held High''. UNTIL IT BREAKS is like 4 songs in one.

TINFOIL: Cool instrumental. Love the high pitched synth. As an instrumental it gets a 9/10.

POWERLESS: Amazing song. Chester's voice is incredible here. It starts off similar to ''Burning in the Skies'' but then Chester comes in. You can feel the emotion. The pain in his voice. The chorus remind me of ''Iridescent'' which is my favourite song of all time(ROADS UNTRAVELLED) might beat it. This song uses bits of TINFOIL which makes the two feel like one. When I listen to this song on Youtube it feels incomplete without TINFOIL playing before it. 10/10

LIVING THINGS gets a 9.5 from me. Why not a 10? It's a bit short. Songs I would like as singles are
    CASTLE OF GLASS
    POWERLESS
    LOST IN THE ECHO or ROADS UNTRAVELLED

10. ochocincorice

ochocincorice Well-Known Member

What was What I've Done part 2?

11. Delicious Dave

New Divide

12. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

13. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

you say why not a 10 and give the answer of too short and only give 2 songs a 10?

I give all songs but 2 a 10 (maybe 1, still debating Tinfoil). and I only give it a 9.9/10

to be a 10/10... all songs need to be a 10 in my opinion.

14. Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

15. Delicious Dave

Giving everything a 10 isn't being honest. I gave them what I think they deserve.

16. Jovertop

Jovertop Well-Known Member

Does it really sound like HHH?

17. (BG)

(BG) Well-Known Member

anybody knows that is there gonna be a vinyl release of LIVING THINGS? or DVD?

18. Adiek84

Adiek84 Well-Known Member

I've written a detailed track by track review on my blog...after listening to the album 2 times, so I might write a total different one in 2 weeks XD.

Read more here...

19. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'll be giving my full fledged review once the album is officially out in the US.

What to expect from my review.

In-depth look into each songs background.
    A Review of each song.
    Review of overall mixing.
    Comparison between ATS and LT
    Review of lyrics
    and more.

There might be 10 pages like my ATS review. (I never posted it so don't go looking for it. It was too long to post.)
    Maybe that'll happen this time too. :lol:

20. AnthonyMartin

AnthonyMartin Member

Maybe you could document it and I will defo have a proper download and read :D Will do my own once I have the actual full quality CD