What does I'll be gone mean to YOU?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by dafne513, Jun 27, 2012.

dafne513

dafne513 New Member

Hey guys!
    I posted in an other thread my interpretation of this song, but no one seems care about it , and they are arguing about the sound of it :ohno:
    but I am very interested in knowing your own opinion and your interpretation about it.

so here it is again my interpretation, I hope you won't find it banal.

in my opinion "i'll be gone" is about the last night of a man suffering from a terminal cancer, he 's gonna die .

"Like shining oil, this night is dripping down* Stars are slipping down, glistening" I imagine him lying on the sand enjoying last moments of his life, watching the stars and reflecting.

"And I'm trying not to think what I'm leaving now" : He's thinking about what he's going to live on earth, maybe his wife, his kids, his friends , even his job.

"No deceiving now, it's time you let me know.* Let me know" : he's going to face the truth, he doesn't want to deny his fate anymore, he wants to accept that he's going to die , he wants people to tell him that he's dying

[Chorus]
    " When the lights go out and we open our eyes,*
    out there in the silence, I'll be gone, I'll be gone.*
    Let the sun fade out and another one rise
    Climbing through tomorrow, I'll be gone, I'll be gone.*" : the next day, when the sun will rise, and all his friends and relatives will wake up, he won't, cause he'll be gone, he'll be dead.
    I find the use of the verb "climbing" very striking, as if we had to focus on how hard is to fight against a cancer, how strenuous and miserable is to try to stay alive the next day, I imagine 'tomorrow' is the top of a mountain, and a man fighting cancer has to climb this mountain every day, trying to get to the top of it, struggling with pain and ache.

"This in between us is getting thinner now
    into winter now, bitter sweet
    across that horizon this sun is setting down
    You're forgetting now, its time you let me go, let me go": as we know, people suffering from a cancer, become weak, thin, in winter is even harder for them, because of the cold.
    he's talking to someone, in my opinion to his wife, and he 's telling her that it's time for her to let him go, we know , friends and relatives often fight more than the sufferer, because they don't want them to die at all. and often the sufferer is sick of fighting, they just would die and stop suffering and bearing all that pain, and ask people who love him to let him go finally.

" And tell them I couldn't help myself
    And tell them I was alone
    Oh, tell me I am the only one*
    and there's nothing left to stop me."
    he's telling his wife (or whoever he's talking to) to tell his friends that there was anything he could do to heal himself, he was alone with the cancer, nothing could change his fate, nothing could stop death.
    It's like he's trying to justify himself for stopping fighting, he wants people to understand that it's not his decision, it's just how life goes . The end has come for him and he can't do anything anymore, so he doesn't want them to be angry with him, he want them to accept the truth as he did before (in the previous chorus).

-Blinding Light-

-Blinding Light- Member

Your interpretation does fit very well with the lyrics :) Thanks for sharing.
    I feel this is the sort of song where you could easily come up with several interpretations of what is said.

Personally I feel it's about a couple drifting apart slowly and it's telling how one of the people involved is feeling inside.
    It really hits me on a personal level and that's what LP wanted to achieve through this album :)

It's a fantastic song imo. One of my favs on Living Things.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Just read through OP's post.

I'm leaving this thread now.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

It could be that.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

Considering Chester doesn't have terminal cancer.... I doubt it is that....

I think it is about either running away from home/a relationship and starting anew.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

From my review of LT:

05. I'LL BE GONE

I was also disappointed by this track at first hearing. But, already the second time, I was singing along to it, wondering what was wrong with me.
    Starting of with a heavy, electronic sound which reminds me of an uncomfortable feeling in your soul, the intro rises from the ashes into a "what have I done" monster of already traditional heavy guitars, electronics and drums. Chester sings "Like shining oil, this night is dripping down", his vocals immediately reminding of his work with Dead by Sunrise. He continues his verse, the lyrics getting along with the uncomfortable sound - "I'm trying not to think what I'm leaving now", as if he's feeling down because of the unsolveable problems, not wanting to face them. But - "no deceiving now". Really the best word to describe the chorus is poetic, and once again - big. The second verse has more layers than the first, the strings being more prominent, and the wonders of nature dragging the thoughts of whoever Chester is singing about away from the problems, but Chaz isn't forgetting - "it's time you finally let me go". The guitars kick in along with the second chorus, which fades into the bridge in which Chester shows there is still a bit of hope left. And the chorus repeats:

When the lights go out and we open our eyes,
    out there in the silence, I'll be gone.
    Let the sun fade out and another one rise,
    climbing through tomorrow, I'll be gone.
    I'll be gone.

10/10

ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

Who says this song is about Chester? It's just his interpretation of the song! Not everything is about Chester jeez.

NateXY

NateXY I was by your side, powerless.

Bit off topic but, does anyone agree with me when I say it kinda starts abruptly? :/

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Kill this thread or merge it with the I'll Be Gone thread.

Smarky

Smarky Well-Known Member

This is one of the worst songs on the album.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Also, this.

I think if the mixing was done better, it could have actually been decent. The strings sound really good BUT HOLY SHIT ARE THEY IN THE BACK.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

If the strings were any louder, it wouldn't be good.

Just my opinion.

ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

What it means? Hmm.. The only thing I can think of is Dead By Sunrise come again.

JasonN

JasonN Well-Known Member

This song is boring. I wish the strings were louder, and even better if Mike sings the verses , it's kinda sad that Mike doesn't have any part :dafuq: This should be on a Dead By Sunrise album, than Linkin Park.
    To me it's the worst song on the album.

MaryMayhem

MaryMayhem Active Member

I absolutely positively view this song as being about suicide.

"And i'm trying not to think what i'm leaving now" <--- knowing he won't change his mind and feeling the pain and guilt of leaving behind your loved ones, especially your significant other; I say this because of the following verse:

"Tell me I am the only one
    And there's nothing that can stop me" <--- as if to say he needs that last "I love you, you are everything to me" before he can let go of life in peace.

So, I definitely think it was written about suicide, but that's just my opinion.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

:lol:

Through indirect lyrics, the OP figured out that it was specifically terminal cancer, give him some credit.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Linkin Park are breaking up :kappa:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You'll be surprised to learn that none of the band members have been to space either ("Leave Out All The Rest" video notwithstanding)

Now that I've thought about it, it's definitely a feat no-one else could ever hope to achieve

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Geki

Geki >.

I've always kind of wondered what this song was about. I remember an interview once where Chester said something along the lines of ''I've always wanted to make a song with strings and a feeling of losing control''. I have no idea what that means. I'm thinking this song is either about a relationship failing and not having control over it, or maybe about something darker, like suicide.

MaryMayhem

MaryMayhem Active Member

People interpret songs differently through their own experiences... maybe this person interpreted it as being about terminal cancer because they lose someone they love to it, and need something to connect to involving the topic in hopes of maybe gaining some comfort... there's no need to make fun of someone for their opinion, you never know the deeper meaning behind it.