I'll Be Gone

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by ragsta, Jun 16, 2012.

Flagrare

Flagrare 'Majestic Dick. Brazilian Snake Cock. And Cunts. LPA Super Member

Are you talking about What I've Done part 3?

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Would people stop doing this? :disgust:

Flagrare

Flagrare 'Majestic Dick. Brazilian Snake Cock. And Cunts. LPA Super Member

This does not mean I hate the song NoN. What I've Done and New Divide are among my favorite songs. I really enjoyed I'LL BE GONE.
    Anyway, it reminds me A LOT of WID and ND. ;X

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ Same here. :)

Anyway ... can't wait for more "I'll Be Gone" threads to pop up

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

This song is completely ruined by the ridiculously loud guitar that makes so you can hardly hear Chester in the chorus

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Terrible job by the mixer.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

They probably wanted it so you can't fucking hear Chester :kappa:

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This does make sense. If you're the only one with nothing standing in your way, you're free to do whatever the hell you want. Also, it helps if you included the entire chorus: "And tell them I couldn't help myself. And tell them I was alone. Tell me I am the only one and there's nothing left to stop me." The person singing the song is looking for the person they are telling this story to to reassure them of their story. I say the person because it doesn't necessarily have to be Chester. Yes, he sings it, but I think the song was written through the perspective of a character.

The way the lyrics on this song are written is very folk in nature. They are telling a story. Folk music tells tales, and, to me, that's exactly what this song is about: A character in a tale. What is he running from? What did he do that he needs to run away for? There's more to the story than what we were given. The vagueness is what's appealing. It leaves it for your ideas and creativity to take over. I think about a spaghetti western film with the lyrics in this song. That bridge makes me think of a cowboy going on a suicide mission for a chance at redemption and not a bit of intention of making it back. Even if their redemption is successful, they do not intend on staying there to wait for a backlash. I love lyrics like that. It makes music and conversation fun. Also, it allows you to tap into your imagination.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Sorry but stuff like Spraypaint & Ink Pens makes my imagination flow, not this. If you want to run away, you don't ask for permission. You just fucking do it and that's it. Same beef with the "It's time you let me know". Let me know fucking what? You're leaving, they aren't supposed to know you are. In any case it should be "It's time I let you know", if that's what Chester was going for.

Hybrid

"Spraypaint & Inkpens" is very literal about the story it tells. That's not always the case with how folk songs are written.

The line "It's time you let me know" again makes more sense if you included more of the verse.

"And I'm trying not to think what I'm leaving now
    No deceiving now.
    It's time you let me know.
    Let me know..."

The character is pleading to the person they are having a conversation with to call their bluff. Basically, the main character is looking for a reason to stay and not go on with their plan. Giving the person they are talking to a chance to stop them from going through with what they are planning. This could also mean having one last night of passion... Which makes sense with my cowboy/suicide mission theory.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Yes -- remember, guys, lyrics are open to individual interpretation. ;)

Hybrid

Yep! I'm just hoping my interpretation can help others if they are looking for it. :awesome:

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

I actually loved this song and thought the lyrics were rather morbid. I interpreted the "I'll be gone" part not as someone leaving home, but someone killing themselves. But just before they do, they're looking for someone to give them a reason to stay. "Oh, tell me I am the only one and there's nothing left to stop me." I interpret that as someone saying "The only thing that'll stop me now is if you tell me that I'm the only one for you". Looking at it that way, the bit that goes "No deceiving now, it's time you let me know." isn't asking for permission to leave, it's giving an ultimatum, it's saying "I'm not kidding, what is it going to be?"

The bridge sounds like a goodbye note explaining to everyone why they did it:

"And tell them I couldn't help myself
    And tell them I was alone"

Personally I think it's a very morbid and serious song, and I absolutely love it. But as minuteforce said, all Linkin Park songs are good in the sense that they're open to interpretation.

Oliver

Oliver Spela Shoreline!

Is it just me or does the intro/chorus remind a little of Mike's LOATR remix?

Hybrid

I hear a lot of influence from Mike's soundtrack for The Raid. Not just in this song, but through out Living Things.

The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

Same here! Thought that after the first time I listened to ATS.

Hybrid

Thats because it was intended. I remember watching an interview with Chester, I believe, and he mentioned that The Messenger was supposed to be that extra, usually hidden, track that you get at the end of an album.

Cure4thItch

Cure4thItch BEST IN THE WORLD

Best song ever. Haters gonna hate/miss out on wonder.

takai

takai Blues Drive Monster

I originally wasn't too fond of this song. Thought it sounded too different from Linkin Park. But as I continued to listen to it, it became very catchy and fun to listen to. I can see an element of Dead By Sunrise in here, absolutely. But it's still Linkin Park style. I'd like to see it live, I think Chester would have a fun time singing it.

20. cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

This song is pure genius !