Next Album

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Top2Bottom, Jun 30, 2012.

1. aKaRiot

aKaRiot LP Fanboy

I think they have 2 more albums under contract.

Nor do I think Warner is hindering them at all anymore like they did at the start of their career

They could independent with ease, but I'm not really sure if that would be the best move. Depends on how much Warner IS involved in their music.

2. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Finally, do they have 2 more albums?

3. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

So you mean after Meteora era, Chester was having a hard time singing that is truly from his heart during MTM ATS & LT? or let just say he was forced that way? I think its fine... I do love their ballads such as LOATR, SOTD, Iridescent, POWERLESS, My December, etc.. all of Chester's emotion is there...

4. Filip

I'd like them to try something like ATS, but not in ATS style. Not so much rap, but a couple of real rap tracks like WTCFM and W&K. I'd also like them to try to be a little more rock on some tracks, and full-electro on some tracks. For example, there should be songs like What I've Done and songs like The Catalyst. I want them to try songs like 21 Guns from Green Day, and yet keep their style. The album doesn't have to be concept, just a bunch of awesome songs, some rock, some electro and some rap. Mix Minutes To Midnight, A Thousand Suns and Living Things, and you have a perfect album. Hybrid Theory was a masterpiece, Meteora wasn't, but that was 10 years ago, they should get over those albums and start making something new, something that rocks...

5. nscoope

nscoope Well-Known Member

The only thing I care about for the next album is for the band to just not care AT ALL what critics or narrow-minded fans think of the music. Living Things is an awesome album, and it's very fun to listen to, but it's obvious that the band has a lot more to offer. Like Derek said, a lot of the songs could have benefited greatly by even being a little bit longer so that the songs had more time to grow. For the next album, I just want them to experiment, experiment, and experiment some more. Embrace everything, from material that sounds like "old LP" and stuff that sounds like ATS or LT. Just don't give a fuck what anyone thinks of the music. When Linkin Park makes the music that they want to make, instead of making music to please people, it ends up being much much better. An album with an awesome mix of heavy guitar, folk sounds, electronica, turntablism, atmospheric sounds, gang vocals, screaming, soft vocals, orchestra sounds, and whatever else they decide to throw in. All of that with a tremendous amount of experimentation. It would be an album with unexpected twists and turns and it would be an amazing ride. That's what I want in the next album.

6. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

What I think saved this band and helped contribute to their longevity is the several month break they took while Mike worked on Fort Minor, and the huge legal battle with Warner transpired. Although the band never officially disbanded, the band was by all accounts "on hiatus" and most of the band spent that time focusing on their family, lives and doing the things they wanted to do creatively. It made it so that when it came time to officially record MTM, the band had pulled themselves away from their earlier careers and felt completely energized/ in the mood to make the music THEY wanted to make. It was through them taking time to explore side projects, that they had time to figure out what they truly had wanted to do as a band and where they wanted to go. And I think that's where the band saved themselves. Had they kept forging on, with no break or no creative leaps forward, and just kept making Meteora after Meteora I honestly believe this band would've broken up a few years ago. Making music is fun for them again, and that makes a huge difference when you're a band going on 15 years of existence, with 12 of those years in the mainstream.

Not only that, there's no telling what finishing their contract with Warner will do for them. The freedom to do whatever they damn well please with no label contract could possibly mean the rebirth of the band. You just don't know with a band like this. While they have yet to achieve "classic band" status, they're two albums away from pure creative freedom.

The true test of their longevity is going to come in about 2.5 years when the band is free of their label contract. The Mall Soundtrack is going count as a release on Warner, so we could easily see this band free of a contract by late 2014/mid 2015. Then the true test begins.

7. Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Was it really a contracted 7 albums? I thought it was 6? Or am I getting this completely wrong and it was some other number including Reanimation and Collision Course?
    I honestly can't wait till the day that LP is free from all contracts. The thought excites me but it is still too early to be waiting for that.

8. Filip

Wait, it was a contracts for 7 studio albums? Living Things was the fifth, which would mean they have two more albums on Warner? Also, The Mall soundtrack is going to count as a LP release on Warner?

9. nav!

nav! Member

Honestly, I want them to be with Warner after their contract is over. Going independent when they will be almost 40 is never a good idea. They will need all kind of support to put out their music at the massive level and realistically, it can't be done independently (all the marketing tie ups and promotion). In addition to that, they have a lot of things associated with Warner which include their own labels. I am pretty sure that Mike would like to continue Machine Shop Recording after he is done with LP or during a break from LP. The favors and benefits that a label provides are far too much to give up.

Out of all the members, only Mike has a certain future in the industry after LP is over. After listening to The Raid, I am pretty sure that he will do really good with composing music for movies. He can also produce for other artists. All of that pays a good amount of money while keeping him with his family.

Chester has Dead by Sunrise, but let's be honest, it won't get big. Joe Hahn can keep on directing music videos. I am not sure about the other three. But if they keep themselves on good terms with Warner, they will surely find something to do and have a good career besides LP.

And as someone else mentioned earlier, the only thing that Warner wants from LP is to complete the record in time. It's a legitimate concern and I don't blame Warner for that. Other than that, LP has almost complete freedom to do whatever they want.

As for the next album, I want some collaborations! It will give their music a breath of fresh air. I am looking forward to their collaboration with Adele, for I think that she will compliment Chester's voice very well. And as a fan, I want them to collaborate with Eminem. That's just a fantasy :p

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  10. Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think Warner has restricted them much over the past couple of albums. I think they might re-sign to Warner under a new contract with different conditions. And more than going independent, I think it's the change in mindset that'll come from a new contract/going independent, that'll define how great the band becomes in terms of 'Classic' status. Although you could argue that releasing five #1 albums and Hybrid Theory, the highest selling album of the decade, makes them somewhat of a modern classic (slightly oxymoronic, I know) already. I think they're still one great (and I mean 'great') album away from becoming a band that people will look back on in about 20-25 years time and think "Wow! I wish I was around to experience that" as I do about bands like Led Zeppelin now haha

11. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

If "The Mall" issue thing would consider as 6th release from the band, then would be it be an EP? or Album? or just a single song?