How is Chester's vocals in this album to you?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Death Slayer, Jul 21, 2012.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Was just listening to In My Remains and this got me wondering.

I've seen a lot of people talking about how Mike's vocals have evolved and improved drastically in this album, but how about Chester's?

Although he's been great in the past 4 albums, he literally carried this album all the way in my opinion.

e.g.
    In My Remains (emotional singing)
    Castle of Glass (great merging with Mike)
    Roads Untraveled (that solo chorus is creepy as hell! Not to mention the 'ooooo~~~'s)
    Powerless (nuff said)

What do ya think?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, Chester's singing throughout "Living Things" is basically flawless on a technical level at the very least. :)

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

His singing is great, the screaming in LGM sounds unearthly, at least to me...

LP-tastic

LP-tastic Well-Known Member

I pretty much enjoy Chesters singing on LT. Even though I think he can do better, it´s ok for me. But I´m really surprised of Mikes singing. He really learned a lot since MTM. Very surprised in a positive way.

Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

I like his voice very much. And in Roads Untraveled his voice is so awesome, in my opinion !

Same, LP-tastig, his voice developed positive!

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Flawless. Loud and powerful when he needs to be, and sincere and passionate for those intimate moments in the ballads. And I honestly feel his screams were the most vicious he's done so far. Perhaps they're not his biggest or longest ones, but they have a certain ferocious insanity to them that I love.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

^ I would definitely agree that the screams in LITE and Victimized are insanely brutal, as brutal as Faint, From The Inside, or Given Up. However, I didn't really think the screams in LGM were fantastic. Good, but for Chester, they could've been much better.

As for the rest of his vocals, I thought they were the best they've been since the early days. His soft, mellow voice was very solid. His aggressive parts were awesome too. Burn It Down, I'll Be Gone, and In My Remains are songs that only Chester can carry. There was definitely some fluidity and power mission from his vocals in A Thousand Suns, and honestly they seemed a bit scattered in MTM as well. Living Things really gets Chester shining on a whole new level though.

StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

While I still think Mike outdid Chester a little bit vocally on LT, Chester was still incredible. Probably my favorite LP album in terms of vocals.

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Chester hasn't improved at all in his vocals on the album.

...not much you can improve on when you're at the top of your game :kappa:

The real magic in Chester's voice is how much of the flawless quality he manages to carry over into the live performances. Brilliance.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Is that including his rapping in the vocals as well, or just from a pure singing perspective? Because if it's the latter I think thats just a little bias. Sure Mike has that somber, deep tone in his voice, but in every song the two sang in, Chester was doing something far more dynamic vocally.

Of course, if you're including the rapping, then its all up to interpretation.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Seconded. (If I can second this. :lol:)

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I just loved him, he's flawless like always, and even sick he can make some amazing takes like the ones we saw on the VICTIMIZED LPTV. He's just that good.

What I like the most about this album is that it isn't too vocally demanding, in terms that I can sing along every song (but the screams of course), and, as opposed to previous albums, the notes that I noticed I can't reach on LT are actually the lowest ones (generally from Mike) and not the higher ones. Mike can reach such low notes that for me it's impressive, I can barely sing In Between without singing it in a higher tone for example.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think he sounded great. Even though he is past his optimus prime. :kappa:

deadbysunrise

deadbysunrise Well-Known Member

Well, you are a girl. Compared to men, you should have a higher voice, meaning that you're probably more likely to reach Chester's high notes than Mike's low ones. In Between, for instance, is not that low for a man at all, but some women, especially those with higher voices, might not be able to reach these tones.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Fair enough :lol: .. You have a point there, so it probably is that.. I absolutely loved both Chester and Mike's voices here in LIVING THINGS, COG, oh my, one of the standouts not only for me, but for many fans.