The REAL reason we are boycotting Chik-Fil-A

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dizzy Slay, Aug 2, 2012.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

As long as businesses are able to donate infinite amounts of money to political causes under Citizens United, I want businesses to start making stands for particular views, because I want to know where my money is going to end up. I'm glad Chick-fil-a is proudly telling the world they donate to hate groups like Focus on the Family and Exodus International because I now know to never set foot in one of their stores. If they kept their contributions quiet and under wraps, and the public didn't know about it, I'd probably eat at Chick-fil-a every now and then and have no idea that my money is going to groups that exist solely to deny a minority equal rights in this country. And as an Atheist, I'm on Focus on the Family's shit list too. That's not where I want my money going, so I thank Chick-fil-a for taking a stand and making their support known.

And Chick-fil-a's contributions go beyond fighting against equal rights in the U.S. They have donated to organizations that supported Uganda's so-called "kill the gays" bill that would make it a crime punishable by death to be gay in Uganda. It's hard to not judge people who go to Chick-fil-a as supporters of genocide, when the company doesn't even try to hide those kinds of donations.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

I don't care for fast-food establishments in general. I already don't frequent them and when i do, its when there is no other accessible alternative at the time. But even that is rare. When i do go to fast food restaurants such as McDonald's or Jack in the Box, i only order their chicken items. Chick-Fill-A priding themselves on chicken would be my ideal place if i ever found myself in a situation where i had to turn to a fast food service for instant gratification. As of today, I've still never purchased a meal from them.

But since the CEO has declared the franchise to be in opposition to gay rights, it is now guaranteed that i will never visit nor spend a single cent of my money at a Chick-Fill-A even if i was hungry and it was the only establishment in sight.

The CEO has a right to his opinions and to declare what values or positions him and his company stand for. I as a consumer have the right to take my business elsewhere if i don't agree with his sentiment. That is why i blacklist Chick-Fill-A . I actually like that he came out and said his opinion. I wish more establishment and business CEO's of other corporations would have the balls to do the same so that i know who to support and who to avoid.

I will not stand outside a Chick-Fill-A and protest the opinion of the CEO or whoever. That's stupid and does nothing. Speaking with my money is far more powerful.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Gloria Jeans supports the Hillsong Church here that supports heavy Christian views.

Fucks given on my behalf? Zero if they make my coffee the right way. I seriously don't know what's wrong with people and their idea of boycotting shit when everyone is entitled to their opinion. As far as I am concerned, as soon as I buy their product, it's not my money anymore. Everyone is acting like homophobia in America let alone in a culinary place, is somewhat of a new thing when it's not. But when I say this, I am not being homophobic I am more or less asking what the fucking big deal is here. Is this new? Not that I am aware of. So why the big fuss up?

Yes I know that the same sex marriage debate is somewhat huge in America, and it will be overgoing until some people get their heads unstuck from clogging the toilet drain on this issue and yes it is really touchy. But not buying from their place, is really not going to impact much. And as someone just pointed out, this is gained the chain a huge amount of publicity, and it's been free.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I definitely and definitively agree with this.

Geki

Geki >.

I luckily do not have any Chicken Fil A restaurants in my area, but I would still never eat at one. Fuck that. I am not giving up my money to support some homophobic piece of shit CEO.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    Todd

It's not your money once you hand it over, but if you hand over 10 dollars for a product, and they donate 10% of all the money they take in to hate groups (and yes, the groups that Chick-fil-a donates to are hate groups that have supported genocide of gay people in Uganda, this goes beyond just being against gay marriage) then you have given them a dollar to give to these horrible causes. If you instead do business with a competitor who does not donate to hate groups, that's one dollar they no longer have to donate to hate groups. A dollar isn't much, but if a thousand people boycott? Hundred thousand? Even a million? That is a significant amount of money that is no longer going to these organizations.

What's the big fucking deal? I don't want my money going to support genocide in Uganda, or denying a minority of their civil rights in the US. I don't want my money going to groups who wish to implement a theocracy in the U.S. and completely strip this country of the freedom of religion that we pride ourselves on. I don't want my money going to a group who wants to make Christianity the official religion and ban Atheism, Islam, Judaism and any other religion. No offense, but you don't live in the US, so you don't know what kind of prominence these hate groups like Focus on the Family and Family Research Council have here. They're not just fringe groups that no one pays attention to. They have an agenda of hate and have had some success pushing it through the legislative process by getting people who share their backwards and bigoted views elected to office. They cannot be ignored and they must be stopped at all costs. And if preventing my money from going to these organizations is as easy and simple as eating at one of the other dozens of fast food restaurants around, then I'm going to do just that. That's the big fucking deal.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

^ No offence taken and you're probably right, because I'm not exposed to such extremist groups I probably don't and won't fully understand the impact of the hate groups.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Of course. But he can still end up with half a face.

But all references aside, I've never even heard of Chick-Fil-a before this whole thing. But I'm not huge on fried food anyway. Except Popeye's.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Just an aside, I believe they actually own Gloria Jeans in australia. Or at least the ones local to me.

Roughneck

Roughneck Banned

Liberal logic: "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion unless its not mine too!"

Anyway this shouldn't be a debate in general. Enough political talk, has anyone had chic-file sauce? Grab some extra next time you go, and put it on your home made hash browns! Its delicious.

Todd