The huge drop in Linkin Park's Popularity still disappoints me

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by kelies, Sep 6, 2012.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

The band definitely realizes that their big time in the spotlight faded particularly after Collision Course, but they still release a hit here or there. The songs may not come on the radio as much, but radio plays a much water-ed down genre of music these days. The videos may not be shown a dozen times a day on MTV anymore, but MTV is more concerned with reality television than music. Ten million people may not be buying their new albums anymore, but who knows all the hundreds of thousands that either pirate the music, listen to them on Pandora, or watch the videos on sites like YouTube. The band and Warner Brother's know that they have a very diverse but loyal fan-base and concerts will be sold out, night after night, all around the world. Plus, I don't think they would enjoy much of being celebrities and all the baggage that comes along with it. They are members of one of the top selling bands of the last decade while still maintaining privacy, and that's something they should be proud of.

Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

They can't be successful with this kind of music. Turn on MTV and you'll see why, it's all Pop
    So I'm grateful LP is making their own music, not giving a f**k about commercial success (which they still earn), even though I hate it when "nobody" (I live in Italy, where LP didn't have so much success) knows what LP is

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Ignite

Ignite Well-Known Member

Well about the drop in popularity...

[​IMG]

Like Eminem and Shakira, they are able to keep interest and STILL gaining new fans after all this time whereas bigger acts during the early 00 times like Britney Spears or Avril Lavigne are way behind. Not bad for a band that peaked 12 years ago right?

2. http://www.last.fm/charts/artists/top/place/all?ending=1346587200

Linkin Park (#8 in the most-listened artist chart)
    3,159,998 listeners all time
    202,767,402 scrobbles all time

3. http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2012...inkin-park-is-the-greatest-artist-of-the-00s/

VH1: Linkin Park is the greatest artist of the 00s era

4. http://www.billboard.com/news/linkin-park-squeaks-by-maroon-5-hits-no-1007496162.story

Joining Madonna, JayZ, Metallica, Janet Jackson, in the prestigious group of having 5 consecutive #1 albums.

5. Hybrid Theory is their peak and that success is almost impossible, if not impossible for them to surpass. The drop of sales each successive album is natural as the album sales are dropping 12.8% every year. Gone are the days when established acts can easily hit platinum in the US, and frankly, besides Adele who else is getting a Diamond album? About 2 weeks ago, Living Things crossed the the 1M and while this looks pale in comparison to their previous albums' performance, this is already a feat in today's market.

Maroon 5 is holding up better because their horrendous song "Payphone" (honestly the worst aural attack I've experienced since "My Neck My Back") had at least 190 million radio audience impressions last summer. LP doesn't have any buzz whatsoever, unless you count that stupid Lost in the Echo MV, so its natural their album sales won't hold up as good.

So there you go. If you look at hit songs alone, practically only In the End and Numb were able break into mainstream charts and stay there for a while. In all other areas, they are one of the most successful bands with highly impressive longevity. :pope:

chris2

chris2 Smiling At Strangers On Trains LPA Super Member

That's actually For Today (a Christian Metalcore/Hardcore Band); one of my faves besides LP

Back to topic: LP definitely made a good move when they finally decided to make music they wanted to make. Therefore their music doesn't get stale and still stays fresh and relevant throughout the years. I really don't care whether this alienates some "old-school" fans or not. As long as the music is great and the band is happy with it...

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

They're still probably the (at the very least, one of the top 3) rock bands out there. They're not tearing up the mainstream anymore but their still at the top of their genre.

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

So many times, this.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

This guy just nailed it.

LP-tastic

LP-tastic Well-Known Member

I totally understand what you´re trying to say. It´s very depressing to see that their popularity nowadays is not as high as it was at the HT, Meteora time. Don´t get me wrong, I love HT and Meteora. But just like LP´s music evolved with MTM and ATS, I evolved too and I guess all the die hard LP fans know what I´m trying to say. Even though I mostly listen to metal and rock, I´m open minded and like all their new albums. And as long as they make music I enjoy and I can connect with, I will listen to them and support LP. So what I´m trying to say is that looking at other people´s opinion is good, but in the end the only thing that matters, is that YOU like what you hear, whether they are still popular or not. So you shouldn´t be dissapointed IMO

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I agree with this, especially since it's c4. Everyone hates that album too. It sold a lot and then everyone hated it once the heard it. especially the legit rap fans. Casual rap fans maybe liked it

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

Some people just can't let LP be themselves!

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

You nailed it