Anyone else think that In My Remains would have been a better choice for a single?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Elaine, Sep 26, 2012.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Anyone else think that In My Remains would have been a better choice for a first single than Burn It Down? Burn It Down was safe... Too safe, even. In My Remains would have killed the radio charts in my opinion. Anyone else think this?

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

No

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think the problem is that it is structured too similarly with The Catalyst. We all saw how well that got the casual LP listener excited for a new album.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

IMR > BID so... yes.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Nope.

Burn it Down > In My Remains

I speak from a music business perspective. In My Remains isn't as catchy.
    Burn It Down is the most annoyingly catchy song on the album.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

IMR>BID

but BID might have been better single quality

Elaine

The thing is... While BID is better for a single, it's not better for a song, or a good represenation of Linkin Park. In fact, it's SO POPPY, that it'd turn people away from Linkin Park. It's the most generic song on the album, and the last thing I want people to think of when they think LP is generic.... Which is why I think IMR would have better than BID for a single since it's a better representation of LP.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

When it comes to singles, BURN IT DOWN is the easy choice over any other song on the album. It's the most catchy song and it definitely did it's purpose doing quite well as a single. Not only was it chosen as the theme song for TNT's coverage of the 2011 NBA Finals, it also made people very aware of a new Linkin Park album to be released. The band already tried with a more unique song to start the process for an album (i.e. The Catalyst) and to do that they really had to push Warner. However, it didn't do well, so for this album, BURN IT DOWN was as good as gold.

*Yes, I do think it is one of the weaker songs on the album.*

Geki

Geki >.

I think BID was like the perfect single that LP needed. It's very safe and radio friendly, and it even sounds like a ''old'' LP song I guess. It's the only song on the album that really sounds the way it does, it sticks out like a sore thumb IMO. IMR is good and will make a good single someday, perhaps as a final single, but it was not better than BID IMO. As a song, it's WAY better, but for a radio single, no.

greenstorm

greenstorm Member

no.. IMR is good to be track music,game/movie music, but the song is too poppy for lp to be lead single

Elaine

"Too poppy"

See: Burn It Down

mastae

mastae Some Honky

In My Remains sucks, so no. Burn It Down isn't much better, but at least it's catchy whereas In My Remains is just bland and boring.

Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

I don't think that In My Remains would have been better. Burn It Down was in my opinion the best choice for the first single. Also, I actually like Burn It Down as opposed to In My Remains. I like the first verse, but that's it. So No.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I don't know which I personally prefer between "In My Remains" and "Burn It Down" - both have their pro's and con's - but I feel the band made the right choice with the lead single. "Burn It Down" is more fun and it packs less surprises than the other songs on the album.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I actually wanted to open a thread at what would be the best choice for a lead single, so, here's my opinion:

At first, I thought BID was the worst choice for a lead single ever, but now I think it was the best. The album was set to return LP to their roots (which Mike said was misinterpreted) and with people expecting the ''old'' LP, only the first 5 tracks could work. They couldn't give out LITE as a first single, since they knew the rest of the album wasn't gonna be that good (although LITE would be in the worst 4 songs for me) to people. The ''old LP'' always had rapped verses, and obviously they tought that that would work better. So, it couldn't be In My Remains or I'll Be Gone. That leaves us with Burn It Down and Lies Greed Misery. And since LGM wouldn't really be a great song meant for radio/TV, and people think it's dubstep, it had to be Burn It Down. And now I think it was a good choice, 'cause it has over 30 million views on YT just for the video. About the other tracks, Victimized, Roads Untraveled, Skin To Bone and Until It Breaks aren't really single material, so Castle Of Glass and Powerless were the only choices from the second half of the album, Powerless is similiar to Burning In The Skies and Castle Of Glass sounds nothing like the ''old LP''. So, now I think Burn It Down was really the best choice.

^Sorry for any mistakes, the language is set to Croatian, so spellcheck underlined everything. :)

RiseFromTheAshez

RiseFromTheAshez Banned

Burn it Down shouldn't even be on the album much less be lead single

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

After ATS they really needed to release something as safe as burn it down is. Assuming they want to stay relevant.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I'm sure Warner would like that...

RiseFromTheAshez

RiseFromTheAshez Banned

Roads Untraveled better be a single or I will never forgive LP

Melis

Melis when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory LPA Super Member

Roads Untraveled is amazing but I think there is talk of 'IMR or BID?' :lol: