New Dragonball Z animated movie to be released March 2013

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Brandon, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I jump at the opportunity to call out bullshit.

2. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'm sorry but I really don't think Krillin falling in love with 18 because she kissed him is "fleshing out" his character. And how exactly do they develop Vegeta? Piccolo and Kame's rejoining matters for a whole, what, 5 episodes tops?

Cell and Trunks are great. Gohan doesn't get handed the reins as the main character because...that didn't end up happening. It doesn't matter if you think it should have or if it was going to happen, it didn't.

3. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

By Dragonball storytelling standards, the group that Kacy mentioned are relevant to the topic of character progression.

4. Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Despite its flaws, I think Vegeta's character was explored more deeply in the Buu Saga.

Story for the new movie sounds...eh... I was expecting something a little more interesting than the run-of-the-mill stuff since it's something of a big relaunch for the franchise. I suppose that's asking too much from DBZ though.

5. Snail

Not a trailer per-se, but a snippet of the upcoming flick now airing on Fuji TV.

[youtube]ezWPb8Eskdk[/youtube]

6. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

,,,How is Goku breathing in space?

Seriously hope this movie will be good, the story already seems a bit meh to me. Oh well, it's still too early to judge anyways.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  7. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Is that the same voice actor for Goku? Sounds different to me. I haven't watched any subbed DBZ for a while, though.

8. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it's the same voice. Just watched an old DBZ episode to be sure, and it sounds pretty similar.

Anyway, yes....The vilain seems to have more charism than I though. Good news :)

9. Snail

Albeit a bit convoluted in the grand scheme of Dragonball logic, it is not far fetched to assume that Goku can breathe in space, or within the vicinity of a planet's atmosphere. For instance, check out Movie 8 for Paragus and Broly floating in space, or Nappa and Vegeta when they terrorize Arlia.

In terms of the story, I'm not sure what you're expecting. Based on what we've seen so far from the first 13 films of the series, it's evident that a highly substantial form of storytelling would most likely be taking a seat in the back. Though, after 17 years without a theatrical release, I'll agree that it is lazy to go the formulaic route.

10. Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Too bad the fans derailed that. I would have LOVED the original path with Gohan being the main character but apparently the majority of fans didn't like that idea hence all of the Gohan nerfing that followed in the Buu saga. Though at the end of DBZ he was the strongest character as Mystic Gohan.

11. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

[video=youtube;FAOx5XMo60M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FAOx5XMo60M[/video]

Full trailer, English subtitles.

12. Snail

[YOUTUBE]tAyLJq08lZo[/YOUTUBE]​

[​IMG]

Mystery 5: Frankly… “Birusu” is Strong?!
    We’ll be blunt about this at least: “Birusu” is without a doubt the strongest being in the history of “Z”!!!

13. Snail

14. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;pUaosE5HmeE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pUaosE5HmeE[/video]

15. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I can't say I'm too excited for this.

16. travz21

Looks about as bad as the other movies

17. Gman2887

Yeah... Because we all watched DBZ for its high brow storytelling.

18. travz21

I thought all the movies were bad in every way possible compared to the show.

19. Snail

The movies have all been fun as hell to watch. However, it really is a shame that TOEI insists on following a formula with every installment. This new film looks way too bright and fluffy. Hopes of a stark and grim tale involving the crew is dashed; I can already predict what will happen. The new animation team really doesn't help even if one of the original directors of the series returned for this flick.

But fuck it. It'll be fun to watch.

20. Gman2887

I don't really understand that since the movies were simply condensed carbon copies of whatever saga was going on at the time-- And lets be honest, even DBZKai could be condensed further. The movies were fun and got across the same "riveting" storytelling the show did. It just didn't take 3 episodes to power a spirit bomb.