The End of LP

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by ChuckCheese, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I think this goes back on the band's mentality of putting out more music faster. More music faster means not as much touring. It would not surprise me one bit if the band was balls deep in the writing/recording stage for the next album.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Great post, Hybrid, mate. :)

Trust Derek, kids, he met the guy.

:rofl:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

It's sad to say but I'm slowly losing interesting in the band. LIVING THINGS, advertising is quite offensive. Even the title and tracklist is an advertisement. All caps? It's like it's screaming for you to buy it, or else.

Don't get me wrong, I love the second half of the album but the first half just seems uninspired.

I am thankful that it's not Meteora though.

Hybrid

Thank you, NoN! :)

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm calling bullshit on this. They didn't switch to a new direction. They went back to their old sound for the first half of the album and that was what we had a problem with. The band told fanboys to fuck off if they wanted nothing but cookie-cutter nu-metal/alternative but then they retreated to that sound when it fractured the base too much. They completely ripped-off their biggest single and put it as the first track of the album. The first single was written to fit in with a strict pop formula: a heavily electronic beat, ingenue-esque singing and a rapped bridge. "Burn it Down" was radio fodder, plain and simple.

Firecracker is an apt analogy for the record. It's loud and flashy for a little while but after it's done, you completely forget about it. You are absolutely wrong about ATS fans just not liking energetic music. I like Death Grips. They're abrasive, they're chaotic and every time I throw on "I've Seen Footage", I wanna run down the street bare-ass naked smashing everything in sight. They are still art. Background music for NBA promos and tie-ins with EA games? That's not art. Despite the fact that they've worked with a mainstream rock sound for most of their career, the band is frankly not all that good at it. They rarely solo, they don't have any riffs that a regular rock fan would recognize and their production does not give their rockier material the punch it needs. I'd like Linkin Park to write more progressive or at least different material because that's what I honestly think they excel at. LP could honestly be the next Faith No More. A mainstream "rock" band that tries its hand at everything but straight-up rock.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

:facepalm:

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

You know and I know we won't agree on this, so I'm keeping it short. I did not say all ATS fans are opposed to energetic music, but some obviously are and think it's unoriginal and/or mainstream/label forced.

And yes, they switched to a new direction. It might be inspired by some older sounds, but all in all, it wasn't a carbon copy of it. Wheter that new direction is good or not is another story.

And what is/ is not art. Ah. That's philosophy. We can't give a definite answer.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

Why the heck to ppl say the first half of LT is like their older stuff? It doesnt even come close to anything on Hybrid Theory it may have alittle bit of elements
    with LITE, LGM, and Victimized but thats it.

snailharvest

snailharvest nice

Ahh, just as this was getting entertaining.

DyingThing

DyingThing Banned

I know, what i'm saying is Mike seemed so against that, so disgusted by What I've Done, watch the documentary back and make your own judgement, it seems a bit hypocritical that he'd seem disgusted by a type of song before producing something from the same place only 18 months later.

Yes I have seen them all, Rob did some drumming on Powerless after Mike said "This has to be really good, it's a special part of the album." or words to that effect, treating Rob like a session musician to be honest.

The band are responsible for overseeing every aspect of the project, they don't just blindly accept whatever the mixer does, especially when they are worth millions of dollars.
    One of them should have piped and said "Hey uhmm.. Manny, Mike.... This fucking SUCKS! What the fuck is this mixing?"
    You'd think that a band who have been essentially producing themselves for the last 10 years would notice something as important as mixing. :rofl:

It's the most likely of any Linkin Park™ song to be played in a club nowadays, let's just say that.
    Everything from the 4/4 beat to the snares..
    I'm building it uuuuuuuup!! :awesome:
    To burn it back dowwwwwwwwwwwowowon :awesome:

Sounds like dancey/pop stuff to me.

I use hyperboles because if anything, it adds a little humour to my posts.. I might hate the mixing on Living Things and what LP are doing at the moment but i'm not going to make my posts depressing to people.

:rofl: I completely agree with this, what the hack is the capitalizing about? Maybe it's the only way LP can get through to the old fanboys: "OMGDZ POWERLESS SOUNDS LIKE METEORA"

I agree partially, I think Tinfoil and Powerless are a bit Meteora-ey.
    I have no problem with the second half of the album from a musical standpoint, except the absolutely pointless Tinfoil, do people really enjoy that track?

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

When the schedule is so fucking rushed that the song the are shooting the video for is being mixed the same day... at that point you DO "just blindly accept whatever the mixer does, especially when they are worth millions of dollars. "

Hybrid

Apparently my post wasn't read. I think you are misinterpreting "disgust" with "artistic ambition." A song like "What I've Done" has no place on a record like "A Thousand Suns." That type of song does not fit the vibe of the record, therefore, Mike did not want to put a song like that on there. The idea of a conventional Linkin Park song did not fit the idea of the very unconventional, unlike anything they've done before, ATS. LIVING THINGS, however, took inspiration from every aspect of Linkin Park's repitoire. "I'LL BE GONE" is the representation of that sound on LT.

:toolbox:

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

[​IMG]

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Damn this thread is a real bitchfest...

Anyway back on topic I don't see LP calling it quits until they are really old or one of them dies. They are best friends, they don't care about what people think about them or sales, none of them are drug users or raging alcoholics, why would they break up anytime soon?

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

It was said by Mike that the band had an inside joke where if they had left the decision to their guitarist, there wouldn't be any guitars at all.

Lol are you sure?

My favorite is simply "Mike died."

(Inside thread) "I set him on fire playing Sims."

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom Active Member

Linkin Park is definitely not a band who will keep performing in their 50s. I give them another ten years maximum. If you look at a band like Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, The Hives etc. you just know those fuckers will be a band till they're old and grey because those people live for the stage. Linkin Park just doesn't seem like such a band. I'm sure Mike will be in the music industry for a long time as a producer, but I think the other guys will call it quits after a couple of years. Those guys are rich enough, they wouldn't have to do another album for the rest of their lives, and they don't seem to have as much passion as the Foo Fighters or RHCP to keep playing even though they have enough money for life.

I'm not saying LP doesn't have any passion for their music, they obviously do. But after Living Things, it just kinda seems like it. I'm still hoping the theory is true that LT was just bashed out quickly to end their contrat with Warner and as soon as their independent, they can finally fully spread their wings and become a truly amazing band who create music because they have the passion for it. Unlike Living Things which doesn't really show any soul. It's just feels so cold and produced. And that has nothing to do with the fact that it's mainly electronic, I mean Radiohead is electronic but it feels so human.

Man, I sound like an LP hater :p But I enjoy LP's music, even Living Things. I'm just saying that LP doesn't seem to be a band that will continue forever.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Remember when Mike said the title of the album (LT) would be "meaty-okra"? And then twittered "mediocre"?

He pretty much warned us, guys.

Anyway, I totally don't see them being together in the next ten years. I do anticipate a kickass soundtrack and I'd really love an indie album from them before they go

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

This is a depressing thread

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

x10000000000000.

At the end of the day, music fans are music fans. When they're not happy, they complain. When they're happy, they complain about the complainers. Not denying I am one of those too :p

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Twice, and both times he seemed really invested in what I and other fans were saying and wasn't at all impatient or showing signs of just being there cause he has to, or cause he was running through the motions. Same with Brad, who went out of his way to get my attention to thank me for the LPA. And same with Dave, Rob, Joe and Chester. They're all humble and great human beings who take nothing for granted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.