Will Linkin Park ever see Hybrid Theory-esque sales?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Reed To Black, Feb 20, 2013.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

These days it seems like all the big selling music is pop and dirty rap and junk. I know it isn't about sales, but I was wondering if you think Linkin Park will ever see HT type sells again.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

No. They'll stay pretty consistent with recent trends in sales, in my opinion.

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

No, but at this point in their career, I don't really think the band cares about making HT-like sales. As long as they're happy making the music they want, that's what matters to the guys.

Besides, even without the HT-like sales, they still hit #1 with their last three albums on Billboard and other big music charts around the world.

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

Most people don't buy albums anymore, just singles. You also need to consider that more and more people are using services like Spotify, if you have a premium account with them you just pay 10 bucks a month and you can access their entire library of songs both on and offline. No need to even buy the singles anymore. Actual sales of Albums and even singles will be almost non existent pretty soon.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Will ANYONE ever see Hybrid Theory-esque sales again? Even the albums with abnormally great debuts, like Eminem's Recovery, don't go on to have sales like Hybrid Theory to my knowledge.

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

Its such a bummer. I think you get more of an experience whenever you buy an album :/ and then people think they know everything about the artist because of one song!

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

You get a better experience if the album is good, sure. But sometimes, especially nowadays, an album consists of songs that get so repetitive it's not even worth listening to the "album". That's why A Thousand Suns is so great. Even if it's not my favorite LP album, it's still one of the best "albums" I've ever heard in my life. That's something I can listen to from start to finish, and enjoy and appreciate every second of.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Nope. But they don't need to.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Recovery sold about 10 million copies worldwide, and HT has 10 million only in the US.

And no. Definitely no.

DyingThing

DyingThing Banned

Only if LP make an album with at least 5 no. 1 singles with a target audience of 12 year old girls.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

The fact of the matter is that the music industry has changed. It's more conveinient to click on a mouse and download a song to your Ipod than it is to get the experience of purchasing an album at the store. I, like many of you, perfer to purchase an album, mainly because I am a collector, but the industry is going the way of the quick and easy.

Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

*Exception: Adele
    21 has sold 25 million copies worldwide. Which is actually more than HT. So it is possible, but its really hard nowadays.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Nope, won't happen anymore. As far as Linkin Park is concerned at least.

The only way I can see LP getting close to HT sales is if they released a critically acclaimed record (and no, ATS didn't get a huge critical acclaim, only some journalists praised it), with at least 2 big singles. A praised record from Rock best seller nowadays would probably sells a ton. But I don't think critics will ever praise consensually a LP record :lol:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    Arjun

Arjun Comin' at you from every side!!!!

not gonna happen. EVER!!!

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

:shinado:

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

Hate to say this but no. Most of people think they should have kept it that way but failed to realized that the guys don't wanna to do it like that anymore. So they find somebody else until they get sick of them too.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Actually, I don't think ANY rock band could see sales like that ever again.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

FTFY.

The record industry blew it. Years of introducing people into music with top 40 albums with only two good songs on them have turned off the populace from buying albums. Sinking tens of dollars into a largely unknowable gamble based on hearing a single results in getting repeatedly disappointed and feeling like you're wasting tons of dollars. Albums were a sham and everyone was just waiting for an opportunity to replace that model........ or they just lost interest in music altogether.

Then downloading mp3's came along, and they blew it again by fighting the technology rather than embracing it, creating a widespread culture of piracy because the market wasn't giving the people what they wanted. So music sales are down for EVERYBODY, and could possibly be down forever or until the game changes again.

Sometimes I think people of the LPA don't realize that we have an unusual liking of music: we know where to find good albums because we already love music. We're not like most people who really don't care, and are stuck in a catch-22 in that they don't have enough information to find music that they like, so they never find that music, and so they continue to not care, except for hearing a bit of top 40 in the car now and then. And then maybe they buy an album and get completely disappointed again. And we here wonder why greatest hits albums are so popular.

Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Let me quote myself:

Bubbles

Bubbles I blow a lot of...

No, unless they make one hell of an album.