Scott Weiland Issues Statement On New STP, STP Sue Weiland For Use of Stone Temple Pilots Name [UPDA

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, May 26, 2013.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

After remaining silent for close to a week in regards to the recent re-launch of Stone Temple Pilots, Scott Weiland has now released an official statement through his website concerning his feelings on the brand new line up, as well as his comments in regards to legal matters pertaining to the Stone Temple Pilots name. Below is his statement in full:

His comments come in response to a recent lawsuit filed by the remaining members of Stone Temple Pilots, which seeks to ban Weiland from using the Stone Temple Pilots name, performing any of their songs during his solo concerts, or even referring to himself as a former Stone Temple Pilots member. The lawsuit alleges that Weiland's lawyer contacted KROQ, and said if the station played “Out of Time” it would be infringing on Weiland’s rights. It also provides details on the band's volatile breakup, accusing Weiland of showing up late to 2012 shows and providing poor performances due to alleged struggles with alcohol and drug addiction.

A full summary on the lawsuit can be found in this article, including comments by Weiland in response to the recent band allegations. As of right now there is currently no information on how these proceedings will affect Chester's current tenure in the band, but we will be sure to post more information on this and other Stone Temple Pilots related updates as they become available.

Update (6/3/13): Scott Weiland has launched a counter lawsuit against Stone Temple Pilots, seeking a minimum of $7 Mil. in damages, as well as an official court resolution banning the (now) Chester Bennington fronted-rock group from using the Stone Temple Pilots name. More can be read here.

Source: Washington Post/Weiland's Official Website

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

That's interesting.

Derek

Personally it bums me out. Only because I worry about how Chester must be feeling reading Scott's statement and all. He idolized Scott since he was 13, and even drew inspiration from him vocally and now here Scott is saying he's "hurt" by the new lineup and is trying to block the new song from being played. I imagine that's got to bug Chester somewhat.

Oh and just as a heads up, since STP is now one of Chester's bands...anything, and I mean anything related to STP (lawsuits, tour dates, new singles, etc) as long as Chester is a member, will be posted on here as news.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

It's gonna sound weird but I hope Chester doesn't get dragged out on their drama. I hope the issues can be resolved among the members of the original lineup and their lawyers if they need to (which is 99% likely the case) without involving him on that.

Chester was reached out by the band and he said yes, but when it comes to all the legal stuff he might end up in the middle of all the trouble, which would be undeserved :/

Oliver

Oliver Spela Shoreline!

I was thinking the same, it must be really tough for Chester to heard those things from Scott.

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

It's like Jay Gordon, Orgy, and Julien-K all over again. Oh well, hope they all reconcile this band dispute peacefully, somehow.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

They didn't even tell Weiland that they have replaced him. They (including Chester) probably knew that Weiland would be really pissed. I don't think Chester is too surprised or hurt now at all.

Derek

I hope so too, I'm excited about Chester's upcoming work with STP and are eager to report on it and I hope to report more positive stuff then negative out of this.

Andreina

This is true. Making a move without letting the people involved is a recipe for trouble and a bad ending.

I rage-moved from my residence when I was out of town without telling my roommate and to this day we don't share a word even when we go out with the same friends, at the same time.

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

Agreed. I'm pretty pumped to see another side of Chester through this new venture with STP, I'd rather not have that experience marred because of Scott Weiland or his former band mate's egos. I don't really know who is in the wrong over this whole thing, but there's more important things in a musical career than suing over the rights over a band name. Both parties should try to move on before it gets nasty. If not for them then for STP and LP fans alike.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

My condolences to fans of the band because I know how much it would suck for one of my favorite bands to suddenly replace the frontman. Like, I'm not sure how I'd feel if Dice Raw took Black Thought's place in the Roots. But wasn't Scott fired months ago for being unreliable as hell?

Last edited: May 26, 2013
    Andreina

He was but he refused to accept it because he said that, being a founder of the band and frontman, he wasn't sure how he could be "terminated".

kelies

kelies Well-Known Member

To be fair, Weiland hasn't even spoken to his own band for a while now. I doubt Chester is in a close relationship with him either. He's off in his own world. But from what I've seen so far, Scott doesn't care if Chester sings for the band, as long as they don't call themselves Stone Temple Pilots.

xEsaul

xEsaul Well-Known Member

I'd feel bad for fans to have an unreliable frontman. If he cared about the band's name/reputation/etc., he wouldn't have mistreated what he had going on to himself, his bandmates, and to the fans.

I hope Chester doesn't get caught in the cross hairs. Sure, he probably knew this would happen, but maybe he had hope that it wouldn't since he idolized the band. Hoping for the best either way.

NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

Banning him from referring to himself as a former member is a bit much.
    He shouldn't be sued. He's not even allowed to be upset about this?
    My feelings would be all fucked up about the situation if I were Chester.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Scott Weiland is an asshole, but he doesn't deserve all that.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

:chuck: Awesome!
    No truer words have been written/said. He has been for quite some time.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

As I said in an other thread, I didn't expected STP to sue Scott at all. It's maybe going a little too far. I mean, the guy has been fired from his own band and now he is sued by them. Sure, it seems like he deserved the firing, but that was enough of a punishment if you ask me. That's sad the relations between Scott and the band got that bad.

And also, that whole affair must suck terribly for STP fans.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
    Rezanator

Rezanator Well-Known Member

I got my bucket of popcorn ready! This should be good although it probably doesn't affect Chester, but it's funny how Weiland doesn't refer to him by name.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I guess Stone Temple Pilots are my generation's Guns 'N Roses.

Uhh, yay, I guess. And of course this is going to effect Chester, he's in the fucking band. He's a legal member of that band, I'm sure he's signed contracts and whatnot to make it official. If they go to court, he'll go to court as well.