SUPERMAN; MAN OF STEEL

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Snail, Apr 17, 2013.

Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

It's getting a lot of heat from critics...
    It apparently has really long fight sequences which bore you, and underdeveloped characters. I'm still going to see it though.

dontFindOutMe

dontFindOutMe Well-Known Member

Just watched it today.First day,First show.THe action scenes were really adreanaline pumping.However ,it still felt that it was lacking something.But if you bored in the hot summer,this is the best flick to kill your time..:awesome:
    7/10>>

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

Man of Steel

Arguably the Superman film fans of our generation have been waiting for. Teaming up are Snyder, Nolan, and Goyer; opting for a total revamp with 'Man of Steel', resulting in a bold, new, hard-hitting endeavor that is sure to both please and disappoint audiences and fans alike thanks to a collaboration that is as fitting as it is peculiar.

The heart, soul, and action are all there in this presumably crushing epic about a boy who is simply trying to find his place on our planet. While the film possesses all of the elements of which create for a spell-bounding experience, it falters as a completely cohesive presentation due to a disjointed second act. Nonetheless, 'Man of Steel' ascends past its flaws through the sheer awe of Snyder's trademark visual prowess. Accompanied with Zimmer's enthralling soundtrack, the action is a surging force to be reckoned with as Superman lets loose like never before seen on-screen.

'Man of Steel' is emotionally poignant, and succeeds upon the implication of what it means to harbor hopes, dreams, and ideals for the greater good. I left the theater with a tenacious sensation of optimism. Tonight, I chose to believe that a man could fly.

8/10

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'll go see it still. I was just a little drunk last night and depressed when I saw 200 critics have it at 57%. The audience has it at 82% so I don't get the huge margin. Plus I trust Snail's taste.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

There were a few little issues I had with the writing, some with the plot and some really campy one liners that seemed out of place, but overall this was really good.

Also, the image of Superman in handcuffs stands out as incredibly poignant to me. I loved it.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

*SPOILERS*

Something seems pointless about two virtually indestructible characters, Superman and Zod, just throwing each other through buildings without either of them getting hurt. It gets laughable after a point. And then at the end all it takes is a chokehold and a neck twist to end the fight? It's like "why did we go through all of that"? That being said, the special effects were fantastic, especially in IMAX 3D.

Also, how many times does Zod have to explain he's doing all of this to save Krypton? Jesus, we got the point after the tenth explanation.

Characters just show up out of nowhere, and Xero is right about the campy one liners. Some groan-worthy ones, for sure. Russell Crowe was the most impressive in the movie, followed closely by Michael Shannon.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but it didn't amaze me. Probably won't ever watch it again. 6.5/10.

Also, don't bother staying through the credits. There's nothing.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

My full review is here, spoilers included.

4 out of 5.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

^ great review MKH. 4/5?! You were more generous than me haha!

[​IMG]

Tribute to Supes. Follow me @Ntrmssion - instagram

Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Woah. That's really nice :)

Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Now 8.4 on IMDB, with 30k votes, and 13k of them voted 10. Well, I can't wait anymore. Fucking Italy, it comes out on the 20th

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I actually like the movie, except for all the extremely long Zack Snyder-ish action sequences that punch your face like Transformers. Then again, it was also exciting.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Well done on the review, MKH!

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

I agree with everything in your review.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

All the characters besides probably Zod and Superman's daddies (not the biggest Superman fan, don't get mad that I don't know their names) were pretty underdeveloped. Didn't care enough about anybody in the film, and Clark and Louis' relationship was horribly forced on us, on my opinion. Pacing was SUPER fast after the prologue, which was part of the undeveloped character problem. At the end of the day though, the action scenes were pretty damn badass and it was a very pretty movie in that regard.

I give it a 3/5.

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

I almost always side with the critics, especially in the Transformers era of special effects for no purpose other than spectacle, but I disagree with the low rating here.

The usual checkboxes are quite terrible. The screenplay is dumbed down. The acting is laughably stale. The score gets old quick. Competent cinematography is the only positive note in that respect.

But I saw the movie in IMAX 3D and if you consider Man of Steel as an "experience" or a thrill ride rather than a traditional "film" then it delivers exactly what you expect. The action was very fast-paced. I left the theater thoroughly entertained, which was the movie's job.

See it how it's meant to be seen before it's too late. There's no point otherwise.

On a side note, I saw it after only reading a brief synopsis and seeing a forced in-theater teaser which thankfully didn't spoil anything. If I had seen the set-pieces or clips of the action beforehand it would have ruined the impact of seeing everything fresh.

2/5 "film" but 4/5 "entertainment"

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I liked it BUT...

There were way too many unnecessary flashbacks. I hate them! They could've easily used that time to flesh out the story a bit more. Most of the action sequences were barely comprehensible... that was a huge letdown for me I'd say. Also there were way too many "fake" endings. Just when I thought the movie is wrapping up, they came up with something. It got a bit tiring after a while.

A lot of the flashbacks could've been cut down to make room for Zod (Michael Shannon was great!) and Clark's interaction. I think that would've made for some memorable scenes.

Overall it did not meet my expectations but I guess overall I can give it a pass - 2.5/5.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I liked it. Loved the sci fi elements I didn't really expect that.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

The more I think about this the less I like it. So poorly written. It's saving grace is how convincing Cavill is, the action, and how lovely the cinematography is.

If any of you aren't familiar with Film Crit Hulk I highly recommend reading his articles (if you can get past the ALL CAPS EVERYTHING & referring to himself in 3rd person as "HULK"). He's very insightful, really knows his shit when it comes to story telling, script mechanics and just analysing films in general, & he really nails what is wrong with MoS.
    http://badassdigest.com/2013/07/03/film-crit-hulk-man-of-steel/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

They really missed a lot of opportunities. I think I liked it so much because it was so much different and better to watch than Superman Returns.