Living Things Tho

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Nick Hart, Jun 25, 2013.

Nick Hart

Nick Hart Well-Known Member

Has it been growing on anyone in the past few months? It really has for me. I still think A Thousand Suns is their most meaningful album, and for a while I liked it a lot better than Living Things just cause I was still really relating to songs like Robot Boy and Iridescent but since I'm kinda past that part of my life, Living Things has been really growing on me. It kind of has the same energy that I loved about the earlier stuff back in the day but it's a lot less pessimistic and self-deprecating. Plus when A Thousand Suns came out I was getting into softer music but my hunger for heavy songs is returning. I mean Lost In The Echo just pumps me up, and I love Mike's aggressive, confident type rapping. And they still kept that poetic style of writing like with Castle of Glass, Roads Untraveled, In My Remains. The only tracks I might skip sometimes are Lies Greed Misery or Powerless. Don't get me wrong, Powerless is a great song and I loved it when I first heard it but it's just that it brings me down after everything before it was pumping me up and making me feel good lol. How about you guys?!

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I think a lot of people were initially shocked by it being a return to their "songs as songs and not 12 chunks of a huge pretentious picture" style of writing, but even a month after the album was released it was being looked upon less and less favorably.

I can't say it grew on me, necessarily, but I like what I liked then even more, however what I didn't like than I don't play at all anymore (sorry, Castle of Glass...). The first 5 songs are great and I'd argue as as good as "classic Linkin Park" ever were, but right after that it becomes a hit and miss, awkward mess. I think that's where a lot of peoples attention goes.

Powerless is pretty great, though. That would have made for a much better single than Castle of Glass.

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

As for me, it's the other way round. I perceive the second half of the album as the stronger one.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Same.

Although my opinions of individual songs has shifted since the album's release, I've always liked "Living Things" as a whole. It's still the Linkin Park album which I listen to the most often.

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

I still think it's a great album. Hell, I listened to it over and over again nonstop just the other day! Of course, it's not as "experimental" as some of their other works, but that doesn't lessen its quality or degrade my opinion of it in any way. You'll just as soon see me jamming out to Lies Greed Misery as you will Until it Breaks or Powerless.
    A great album full of great songs. Simple.

bpercy

bpercy Active Member

I listened to LITE today working out and I was literally bouncing off the walls after. Such a good pump up song!!

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I still think that the only thing that has sort of "killed" LP albums since Minutes to Midnight was the expectation. Since then the fanbase (or at least a big part of it) has expected Linkin Park to deliver something that at the end they "didn't" get. I explain:

With MTM people expected it to be a heavy ass album, because the band unknowingly gave that impression and sort of "promoted" it, as admitted by Mike himself. They didn't expect the album to take the turn it did and also during pre-album tour they played stuff like QWERTY, NMS and GU. When MTM was released then came the complaints "wtf is this", "this is shit", "LP has gone soft", and so on.

With ATS, they made it clear that they would completely departure from the old sound, but we didn't know to what extent. Nü metal fans were left disappointed (boo hoo) and, but the album was embraced by a good chunk of the fans, some loved it right away, and some had to let it sink in.

With LT though, as it was an attempt to englobe all aspects of Linkin Park's music career, it still proved to be "too electronic" for the metal fanboys (OMGZ dubstepz) and not "experimental enough" for the ATS lovers. The first expected a "back to der roots" kind of album while the latter expected more "complexity".

So to be honest, I think LT doesn't get the credit it deserves often enough. Simply because each part of the fanbase has something "to hate" on it because they expected something else. It's an album evidently split in halves, and I think it served its purpose rather well (which was to mix both the old and new sounds). Sure, there could be improvements on lyrics, or some tweaking to the songs, but it's still a quite good album.

This doesn't mean any of you guys are wrong though. I'm just expressing my own view.

Geki

Geki >.

I wouldn't say it has ''grown'' on me because I've always loved LIVING THINGS ever since it's came out. I like a lot of the songs. There isn't really a song that I don't like on the album. My favorite album is MTM, and LT is a bit similar to it in some ways, which I like. I love the simple song structure on a majority of the songs, I wasn't into the super complex stuff like on ATS. I like ATS, but it's my least favorite LP album. Stuff like SKIN TO BONE and UNTIL IT BREAKS remind me a lot of ATS in ways, and those are also my least favorite songs on the album. Basically, I hope LP continues to make albums like LIVING THINGS, I'd be happy. LT had elements of all LP albums. It had Hybrid Theory/Meteora rap and aggressive vocal elements, the pop/organic element of Minutes To Midnight, and some of the electro styles from ATS. It's crazy how you can almost pinpoint what songs on the album have styles from previous albums. LITE, Victimized and LGM definitely have HT and Meteora elements. IMR, BID, IBG and Powerless all have MTM elements. STB and UIB and TINFOIL have ATS elements IMO. And finally, COG and RU have some of the folk elements, which is new for LT. This is why I like LT a lot, it's cool how they did that.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'm the opposite. So I guess that means the album has shrunk on me?

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Is it feeling a bit tight? :shifty:

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Confident? quite the opposite I would say...

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

LIVING THINGS never had to grow on me.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Loved it, thought it was alright, love it again.

Robot Man

Robot Man Well-Known Member

I've loved the album since release.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Actually it has grown on me much faster than ATS. It just feels more classic.

GuliaLuna

GuliaLuna Well-Known Member

I love Living Things. My faveorite songs on there are Lost In The Echo, Burn It Down, Castle Of Glass and Victimized