"Dexter": Season 8 [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by minuteforce, Jan 29, 2013.

sotrix

sotrix @lplive

Jennifer Carpenter deserves all the awards.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Pretty good episode. I'm interested in seeing where it goes from here. Really hope they give this show a good send off, because the last few seasons have been so mediocre. Michael C Hall deserves better.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I really like where they're taking this season.

Harry definitely confided in Dr. Vogel when Dexter was initially exhibiting violent behaviour and she probably helped him come up with Harry's Code to curb Dexter's impulses to serve a good purpose.

Please note I haven't read the books, so please don't spoil anything.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Seems weird we haven't heard of Vogel until now. She had to have known Dexter was the butcher way back in season 2. Why does she all of a sudden want to get involved now? She's getting old and wants to blackmail for sex?

Agent

In the "next on Dexter" thing at the end she said that she wants Dexter to kill that brainscooper serial killer... she thinks it's one of her old patients.

Fuck the creators for the lack of babysitter boob shot -_-

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR SEASON 8, EPISODE 1. THAT MEANS YOU, TONY.

1. Aimee Garcia is FUCKING HOT. I've been waiting for two entire seasons for that, and I'm so happy. :) I thought they'd go the Deb / Rita route and protect her modesty since she is so close to Dexter, but... apparently not. Julie Benz didn't have any nude scenes, and neither has Jennifer Carpenter. I like that (keeps you focused on the story, even though, as Dexter says to Doakes, "The tits are right there." ), and it leaves a lot to the imagination.

2. What the HELL is Deb getting into? My heart breaks for her character arc so much. Especially with Harry telling Dexter to back off and leave her alone. Harry has certainly changed his tune ever since Deb found out about Dexter. On a side note, I'm kinda glad they have Deb doing bounty hunting work and staying away from Miami Metro. She'd probably feel absolutely horrible if she were promoted to LaGuerta's position after being the one who killed her... plus, she'd be Captain Morgan at that point, and that's... well, a joke that really doesn't need to be there for the final season.

3. I love Evelyn Vogel. Wonderful character, so far. I can't wait to see where they take her and Dexter this season. The fact that she knows about Harry's Code says a lot, but I'm willing to bet that she chose NOW to include Dexter because she's getting the sense that 1. Too many innocents are dying, so the Code must not be sufficient anymore, and 2. Dexter's relationship with Rita in Season 1 was purely 'camouflage' but since, we've started to see him develop something like real feelings for Rita and other characters in the show. He's kind of losing his psychopath edge. She says psychopaths "have no empathy" but you can see it starting to develop in Dexter around Rita, Astor and Cody, S3's Miguel Prado, S5's Lumen, S6's Brother Sam, Harrison, and Deb, (pointedly not so much S7's Hannah or S2's Lila, who I think took away from Dexter's development) and I'm not sure what Vogel's reaction to that would be, whether she believes A. he is making progress and needs some encouragement to find his footing, or is B. becoming too reckless and needs to be reigned in before more innocents die. There have been interviews saying that Vogel's relationship with Dexter is very maternal. It's very interesting, but safe to say she's noticed some of those "attempts" at empathy and love since it's heavily implied that Harry confided in her when raising Dexter. She might actually be coming to his rescue, to maybe rehabilitate him in ways Harry couldn't (er, can't).

Overall, this season's premiere surpassed EVERY expectation I had, since the show really hasn't gotten out of the shadow of Season 4 yet. It's been difficult to watch, sure. But it's never gotten close to how epic Season 4 was, with John Lithgow's Trinity Killer. I think the writers and producers even realized this, having that "Nebraska" episode in Season 6 that just seemed out of the blue. An excuse to temporarily write back in Brian Moser and Jonah Mitchell, since those characters were both received very well. ( Not to mention the very Doakes heavy Season 7 finale, "Surprise, Motherfucker") This season has started off beautifully, though. I'm cautiously optimistic that these guys are really bringing it back to what made Dexter great in its earlier seasons. Looking forward to more, for sure.

They followed the first book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, pretty closely for Season 1, and all seasons since have been completely original, with almost no resemblance to the other books. Even Darkly Dreaming's Ending was quite different from the series, as Brian Moser lived and LaGuerta died... complete opposite in the television series. :) But yeah, in the novels, there was no Bay Harbor Butcher arc, no Trinity Killer, no Jordan Chase, and no DDK in the books, at all. So, feel free to read the books to get your Dexter fix. They won't spoil anything for you, but you might notice little bits and pieces that are quite similar to the series. (The serial killer in the second book is somewhat like the Skinner from Season 3, but makes the Skinner look like a Tickle-Me Elmo. Believe me.)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    travz21

God, Season 4 was so fucking good. If this season can be as good as 1, 2, or 4 I'll cream my pants.

Reflectionist

Just going off of this ONE episode, it's shaping up. But to be fair, it's just one episode. I've seen more promising Season Premieres lead to complete trainwrecks. I won't mention any names, House Season 6... >_>

Geki

Geki >.

I used to love Dexter. I thought that Seasons 1-4 were absolutely brilliant. I hated Season 5 and Season 6 both. Season 7 wasn't as bad as Seasons 5 and 6, but it wasn't great either. I watched the first episode of Season 8 online and I wasn't too impressed honestly. I also no longer have Showtime so I can't really watch the last season until it comes out on DVD. Dr. Vogel was fucking awesome though, I absolutely loved her in the brief time I saw her in the first episode of Season 8. When Season 8 does come out on DVD in the future, I will probably buy and watch it, just because I've already seen the first 7 Seasons so why not just finish the show.

Agent

So who's keeping up with the show? It has been quite unfocused and messy so far. But oh well, I gave up hope on Dexter a while back.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Spoilers through latest episode:

It's halfway through the season, the LAST SEASON and absolutely nothing is getting resolved.

Oh, Deb is going to confess everything. Things are heating up... Gonna be exciting. uh, NOPE!
    Well, maybe they'll win me over, looks like Deb is going to kill herself and Dex with her? This is going to be G... NOPE!

I mean, it's awful. The worst last season of any show ever. I don't think they can turn it around either.

travz21

I think it's a mess but I'm liking it.

Agent

SPOILER

I don't think it's salvageable at this point. They are halfway through the season already and it hasn't been anything impressive. I thought they could do a lot more with the Vogel/Dexter dynamic... like Vogel toying with Dexter and making him angry or something. But they shy away from interesting things like that to settle for bullshit like them finding a younger killer (Zach)... BORING!

I wasn't fan of the way they patched up Dex/Deb... the way they dealt with it was an absolute mess and really doesn't make much sense.

travz21

The brain scooper is still out there somewhere. I don't know why Dexter thinks he killed him already. To me it looks like Matthews funneled Zach to Vogel, just like he possibly did with Dexter with Harry's assistance. And Hannah is also back. It's definitely a clusterfuck but it's not boring at least.

Agent

Yeah I have a feeling the brainscooper is out there too. I also wondered why Dexter doesn't see that... I just equate that to bad writing. But no matter how many eye-rolling shit I see, I'll still finish the series.

travz21

Dexter has gotten dumber as the series goes on. The writers conveniently make him dumb in order for their story to work. If we had Season 1 Dexter he'd think for 2 seconds and realize Yates never carved out any brains. He had some foot/shoe fetish with a brain surgery scar. That's it. Instead pretty much anything after Season 4 we have a bumbling and stupid Dexter.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

He's also very, very, very poor at keeping his secret a secret.

Just off the top of my head, the following people found out he's a serial killer:

Brian Moser (dead)
    Doakes (dead)
    Lyla (dead)
    Miguel Prado (dead)
    Trinity (dead) <-- This one's debatable. He figured out Dexter's identity but not necessarily that he's a serial killer.
    Lumen
    Liddy (dead)
    Hannah
    LaGuerta (dead) <-- Well, she kinda figured it out.
    Deb

Reflectionist

How else would you keep that kind of secret? :p

Agent

Well, I don't think there would be any suspense if some people don't know his secret.

Reflectionist

I think Quinn knows enough to know he doesn't want to think about it. ;)

I hope they follow that up at some point. It's the last season, so I'm confident they'll reveal Dexter's secret to Batista, Quinn and Masuka at some point. That's really all I'm looking forward to.