Music Video Interpreations

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Nick Hart, Aug 3, 2013.

Nick Hart

Nick Hart Well-Known Member

Linkin Park video's tend to be really trippy. Post what your interpretation of one of them is. It'd be really interesting to see especially on Iridescent and Somewhere I Belong. My interpretation for Numb I think is the easiest to come up with because it has a simple narrative that relates to the song easily. I would like to point out a few things I find interesting though. Like how Chester sings "feeling so faithless" and he's singing the way she feels, in a church, with his eyes closed. And at the end when she comes, they aren't there because she feels "faithless". I think it's a cool metaphor on Joe's part.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I always viewed the ATS music videos as all telling an apocalyptic story. It begins with Burning in the Skies. The video goes about people's everyday lives before a huge explosion occurs, which I believe to be a nuke. What I've noticed is the blue explosion looks a lot like the blue color of the video of Waiting for the End. So to me, the Waiting for the End video is them caught up in the blast, and they're "Waiting for the end to come." The Catalyst is the Post-Apocalypse and the after-math of the nuke attacks. How Iridescent fits into my interpretations, I have no clue. That video makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

To me, the "Waiting For The End" video visually explores the idea that we live in a very digital/tech-driven world these days ... but that there's still humanity underneath it all. My favourite LP video to date.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

The non-transformers parts of the Iridescent music video refers to the adage "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." This adage is important because in normal society, a man with one eye has is looked at as having a fault, however in a society where no one can see, the man with one eye has the huge advantage. This can also refer to a situation where the one-eyed man can be referred to as a prophet or a leader; a catalyst of change, who has the ability to see things where as the rest of society is blinded by something like a ruse or a conspiracy.

Nick Hart

I always thought it had some new-age/religious meaning but you should definitely explain further.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'm certainly interested in offering some of my interpretations for recent videos. Unfortunately, I can't really say that any of the videos from LIVING THINGS offer too much in the way of interpretation. "LOST IN THE ECHO" does perhaps, but not enough for me to offer analysis.

A video I watched very recently was the international one for "Burning in the Skies," and I thought it was a pretty good video. I wasn't impressed during the first view when it was first released, but I think it's pretty interesting despite its simplicity. The video shows the last moments of about four or five different settings / groups / individuals basically before the detonation of a nuclear bomb. I thought it was very thoughtful to show where different people are at different moments - the elderly man looking at the woman who may have been his wife in the photo, a young couple sharing a kiss with a view, a woman in her undergarments lost and frustrated, a frat party, a girl at her desk, etc. Everyone is feeling different things at every time, and all of it is human. All are moments we can relate to - the feelings of lost inhibition, of lost people, of love and togetherness, of focus and thought. It is, at its worst and at its best, humanity. And that video demonstrates the ease with which we can destroy humanity - the theme of the album and really the theme of the videos. Perhaps, it is as Chester sings - we can say we're losing what we don't deserve. With the means we've created to destroy humanity, do we deserve it?

And it connects well with "Waiting for the End," described earlier. I very much think it's symbolic of how humanity fades into the digital and is lost with the advancement of technology. I think with some deeper thought it provokes some pretty heavy ideas. Looking specifically how the pixellated forms dissipate and change, it seems to show that technological advancement erodes our humanity. We become nothing but the electronics and the digitalism that we constantly seek to advance. It's a theme that fits in well with the album, referring specifically to the morphing of the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.'s voice into a robotic being and the transformation of the modulated voice in "Fallout" to Mike's human voice. I suppose there is hope, in that in peeling the layer of the digital there is humanity underneath - but the question remains as to how far we can integrate ourselves into a digital world before we lose humanity.

"The Catalyst" is a bit tougher, as I know it seems to draw reference to a game / movie (right?), but I think it does well to perhaps hint at a post-apocalyptic world in which humans have lost their humanity. I feel it could have done better to demonstrate that but I think each video is related. "Iridescent" doesn't seem to fit in as well into the timeline as it was designated for "Transformers," but the others I can understand and appreciate.

minuteforce

Yeah. Because the song is quite optimistic to me, I personally interpret the video optimistically

Hybrid

Well, there is a theory that piggy backs on what Gibleson was saying that claims that the idea of the "last supper" that was portrayed by the band members was that the one-eyed king, in this case, Mike, saw this "nuclear disaster" coming and that the meaning of the "let it go" lyrics was meant for us to repent. The addition of the snake was clever too because it adds a meaning kind of like beware of those who lead because there is danger and evil included with power. I'm not saying that snakes are evil, I'm merely looking at this at a religious standpoint that sites the devil as a snake in the garden of Eden.

Vicky55

Vicky55 New Member

"I wanted to be like the Amy Grant of music, but it didn't work out, so I sold my soul to the Devil."

Nick Hart

That's brilliant! Where did you read that?

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I really like that, actually. It really helps to tie it in!

ZachLP

ZachLP Soldier since 2000

To me, What I've Done was the most powerful video, about the state of the world and how humans have destroyed the world they live in.

NotEnoughYetTooMuch

NotEnoughYetTooMuch Well-Known Member

My favorite video and song is papercut, like a lot of other people I'm pretty sure the song is about schizophrenia,and the music video visually/artisticly shows what people who have it have said it felt like to them.

ConsUme

ConsUme もちあげてときをはんして

Breaking the Habit in my theory is about a "groundhog day loop". All the events seem to happen every day culminating Chester Suiciding. Chester at the End reverses himself and is Literally breaking the "habit".

WHERE DID I GET THIS PHILOSOPHICAL HAT FROM?!

minuteforce

^ yep, hit the nail on the head there. :)

/s

Hybrid

Its a mixture of what I've read on here combined with my own interpretation. :)

:) I'm glad to have helped out!