"High Rise" EP Leaks

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Sep 27, 2013.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm reminding you that we all made a pact never to let him know this.

I guess it's all out in the open now ...

/s

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

So, with no disrespect many of us can agree LP could take some notes on this don't we?. Use of Chester's vocal range, experimenting with structures, heck, who wouldn't like some basslines (Come on Phoenix :lol:).. Linkin Park has everything to raise the bar on their own music but they just need that punch... Like Fleur said before, not experiment just with the sound, but with the song.

I hope they really are doing that this time around.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Holy shit, "Same on the Inside" is incredible. The other songs are good too, but that track is so fucking amazing. Amazing work by Chester and the rest of the band.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

[video=youtube;B9bZWqYvW_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9bZWqYvW_A[/video]

:awesome:

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Hahahaha I can't believe I just fucked that up. SAME ON THE INSIDE!!!!

Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

Ofcourse High Rise is better than Out of Ashes. I mean please, we're comparing Julien-K with Stone Temple Pilots here.

Tweak

Tweak Well-Known Member

This EP is the first time since like MtM days that Chester's voice has really impressed. No idea he was still so capable, thought he just about ran his voice into the ground.

'Tomorrow' for some reason reminds me a lot of Maynard James Keynan. Maybe it is the bridge, very Maynard-esque.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I thought Out of Time, Same on the Inside, and Tomorrow were really good.

Black Heart and Cry Cry weren't great, in my opinion.

Overall very solid though.

ZachLP

ZachLP Soldier since 2000

It's because MTM was the most rock oriented LP album, it was like straight up rock, part of the reason why I love it so much. This EP and DBS remind me a lot of MTM, because they are rock. Chester's voice works better in these settings than over the super electronic stuff like ATS or LT, IMO. Maybe Mike realized that and that is why he has been listening to punk and metal lately. I have my hopes.

Smarky

Smarky Well-Known Member

I've never really liked Stone Temple Pilots, I think Scott sounded much better with Velvet Revolver.

I quite like Out of Time, but to me the rest of the album is really lame. I don't think it suits Chesters vocals very well. It's way too soft, it suits someone like Scott would is not a traditionally great singer, but Chester needs something with a bit more bite to fly.

Chester needs to accept that has voice would be much better suited on something that is more pure rock or even some decent metal, then I think the world will really get to see what Chester is all about.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Cry, Cry is my favorite song on the album. Out Of Time is my least favorite.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I think what you're hearing is the difference between a "studio" band (Linkin Park, Orgy, Julien-K, 30STM) versus a jam-oriented band (STP, Black Keys, Tool). Ech of course have their strengths and weaknesses. For the former bands I would bet that 80% of the material was devised on a laptop (which lends to a lot of leeway with live changes) whereas STP seems to primarily jam out their ideas (and songs don't change much if at all live). Things naturally sound more "band" like versus a DBS record where everything is tightly programmed and all they do is play guitar to a click.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I'm enjoying this EP, good laid back vibe.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

All I know is that as much as I am a long time Linkin Park fan, I find myself more excited over these 5 songs with Stone Temple Pilots than I am a year later with LIVING THINGS.

I just have felt for the longest time that Linkin Park isn't as free creatively as they should be with their music. That they water down some brilliant ideas to please some of their less receptive/open-minded fans instead of going full throttle into the unknown. I've seen evidence of it on each of the making of DVDs and the band has even seemed to do a 180 from "we never want to sound like the Linkin Park of old again" to "we're comfortable in our old skin" over the course of one album cycle. It was so weird to see the band so determined to break the Linkin Park barriers with ATS, only to go back to mixing together things they've already done and creating a followup record that in many ways just felt...safe. Yeah there were some different and unique songs, but the magic that made ATS such a colossal step forward felt absent.

And you know, that's not to say I no longer enjoy their music, because I do. I still appreciate Linkin Park and I am definitely looking forward to hearing what comes next. It's just I hope they stop feeling like they have to hold on to the past. I know they're comfortable in their old skin, but the old skin exists on older records. If I want to experience that, I can pop those CDs in. I want something fresh.

Starclops

Starclops Member

Ehhh, these songs don't do anything for me. I've been a huge fan of both STP and LP long before they made this announcement. But without Scott's unique and idyosyncratic vocals (and I suspect the old producer Brendan O'Brien also had a hand in STP's unique sound), STP sounds very bland. I feel like I'm just listening to a bland rehash of 70s/80s hard rock.

Much more interested in what LP is cooking up for their next album.

Starclops

Starclops Member

Also, Chester sounds like Scott a lot on these songs. Compare the verses of Cry, Cry to verses here:

[video=youtube;babYvrQyxio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=babYvrQyxio[/video]