Linkin Park Association And AltWire Interview Mike Shinoda

Discussion in 'News' started by Hybrid, Nov 16, 2013.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Off the computers? Yesssssss!

lpandpie

lpandpie Well-Known Member

LEAVE MIKE ALONE! :WTF:

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Putting it like that, it's more clear that's probably what he meant. Although the AF/NIN comment still comes off as weird as you said, especially knowing NIN was closer at one point to the "rock" he describes.

Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Well-Known Member

Congratulations LPA & AltWire!

stormrider2

stormrider2 UNWANTED TRUTH

The thoughts of Mike Shinoda in this interview gives me hope for a more heavy, guitar-oriented LP album. If somebody can resurrect the previous generation of the rock genre, it can be Linkin Park. Cannot wait to listen to their new stuff next year. I'm stoked! For their new US tour, I hope they come down to Palm Beach like they did in 2008. I really want to experience a LP concert in person but I cannot travel far due to a tight family budget.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Maybe there will be more guitars but, nonetheless, I wouldn't go and assume that the band are looking to "resurrect the previous generation of the rock genre".

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Let us not forget when Mike told us that most music out there was just like McDonald's and is bad for you after awhile, and then releases Living Things a couple years later with mostly radio friendly songs.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I am really looking forward to the new album. Excellent interview!

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Awesome interview, Derek! :D
    Best way to start the day.

I'm loving what Mike said about "rock music". It could imply that the upcoming album would be along those lines. :awesome:
    Its times like this that I wish I had the power to fast forward time. :bounce:

Edit - Also, its so weird to hear Mike say "Story-arc". Sounds very manga-ish.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Another milestone in the history of LPA. Well done guys. :)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

LPA has gotten interviews with three of the band's six members now :)

Bane

Bane Together we'll fight the long defeat

My jaw dropped when I saw this, fantastic job on securing this exclusive with Mike guys! Makes me so proud to be a member of LPA right now!

As for Mike's statements about rock, I think we need to keep in mind that people change. His opinion 3 years ago during ATS could be completely different from his opinion now, and that's ok. Sometimes people want something a certain way (e.g. ATS being mellow) and then realise that they want things to be different a few years down the line. It's human nature to be influenced by your experiences in the passage of time. Therefore I don't see Mike's statements as hypocrisy, merely a change of opinion. A shift in perceptions.

Rebel Traj

Rebel Traj Well-Known Member

Lol @ people who think Linkin Park will get back to their roots. Please grow up. The Catalyst was heavy and had guitars.

Clever Name

Clever Name Well-Known Member

lol ^

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Four if you count our joint one with LPL for Chester.

So Rob and Brad...what's holding you up? :lol:.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

It's not just based off of this interview, though. The whole "this is what rock music needs" bit is something he's become fixated on recently. I don't think it's the least bit ridiculous to, for lack of a better term, criticize him for it.

Anyway, congratulations on scoring the interview. I know this is a huge boon for you guys.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

And I get where you're coming from there and can respect why his comments might rub you the wrong way.

It's just, to me....whenever I read an artist that I'm following is bored with the current state of music and wants to create something new and different (it doesn't have to be Linkin Park), that gets my blood pumping. There's no denying if you look at rock music as a whole right now there's a lot of music that feels derivative from other artists that came before them, or that feels like it's been borrowed from other artists. Before Linkin Park made their shift in sound; there were tons of artists that were coming out and copying the same style of music that the band had won a Grammy for years prior.

It just seems like a trend right now in rock music to copy other artists; and to be honest it's becoming boring, and uninspiring. It just seems that while other genres like EDM are continuously going through unique changes, and shifting from happy hardcore, to trance, to house, to dubstep, to [insert next genre here], rock as a whole just mostly sits there and doesn't evolve. It doesn't push the needle, or take the creative risks to move forward. I'll admit that such commentary is ironic or possibly hypocritical cause I've just opened a site for Alternative Rock, but I've opened up AltWire to attempt to scout out rock artists I think are making great music. Or that stand out from the other rock music artists currently on the radio. Artists that make rock music that excites me.

And some of the rock out there, just isn't doing it for me anymore. Which is why I think it's necessary and important to put notice on the rock that's visceral, and energetic, and creative and just plain awesome. It might seem like I'm just paraphrasing Mike here but that's because we see eye to eye here on rock music right now. Rock is still great, and there are some artists out there who are being creative, but as a whole the entire genre needed a kick in the ass.

If you look at rock in the 50s to the 00s, every decade had rock that sounded completely different from the decade before it and totally moved the needle forward in exciting new ways. But it feels once we got to the 2010s, it mostly hit the breaks. There's still artists out there like Linkin Park and Muse and Radiohead who are doing unique things, but there's also pop being labeled as "indie-rock" on the radio, and rock that just feels like it's playing catchup rather than moving ahead.

Rock music needs a fire lit under it's ass.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I know this is really offtopic, but is your name from Shenmue?

Ontop: Congrats Derek and all the LPA Team! This was a great interview and even though I can't really agree with Mike regarding his satements on rock, I've found what he said very interesting. I'm excited about more technical music also!

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Fantastic interview LPA!

Really raises a lot of interesting questions on the state in which (rock) music is in right now and the direction of LP's future album(s).

I gotta feel sorry for Mike and the rest of LP though, for the criticism they have received since MTM really. First they release a rawer-er and mellower album that was MTM, then they go one step further and make ATS, that couldn't be further away from their original sound full of creativity and experimentation, however this very album gets criticised for being too boring and "soft". So what does LP do next? Make an album with tons more energy and tempo, and then what happens? They get criticises for not being creative enough! :lol: I can help but think Mike's recent outbursts at the state of the music industry currently has anything to do with the reception of their last 3 albums. Maybe I'm looking too deep into this, and Mike and the rest of the band don't give a shit about what people seem to want to hear. But maybe he's just frustrated with the reception their latest albums seem to be getting? If that's the case, I hope he and the rest of the band turn the fanbase on it head and put out something really special.

20. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

[​IMG]