Guilty All The Same - 24 hours later: opinion

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Denny, Mar 7, 2014.

Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

Fucking in love with it. I am so damn excited for the album! ANDDD GATS is well-received by ultimate-guitar.com too :D ( the site with too many idiots hating on LP)

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

I'm obsessed with everything about this track. It's probably better than all of LIVING THINGS. And even though the song may not be innovative when compared to other bands, it is really fucking innovative for Linkin Park. And I can't get over the fact that their single before this was A Light that Never Comes. This is why they are my favorite band. By the end of their careers they are going to have a more diverse discography than most mainstream bands out there.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

It really annoys me how everyone has been so disrespectful to Spitz's comments.

I love this song but I understand and accept his opinion - and his arguments for not liking the song are more valid than your arguments saying he is wrong.

I see it all to often on this site that those with a negative response get attacked.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Ha ha ha. I checked these days just to see what those morons had to say but the report wasn't up yet. That's good I guess and even though we shouldn't care what they say I just couldn't resist the curiosity :lol:

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I'm sorry for saying this...but I don't believe you've spent enough time on here if you think these forums are overwhelmingly in support of everything Linkin Park does or says. Not only is it blatantly untrue, but I can name a few examples of viewpoints that are common on here that fly directly against "popular Linkin Park" opinion.

For example, there's fans on here that feel Meteora sucked and was a copycat of the first album, and did nothing to move the band forward. There's people (like myself) who feel that LIVING THINGS was mixed really poorly and that Manny Marroquin should never touch a Linkin Park record again. Then you have the fans of ATS who feel LIVING THINGS was a massive step backwards after the creative opus that was A Thousand Suns.

Then you have the people who basically were tearing Mike apart when we had the interview with him because they felt a mainstream rock band should not be complaining about watered-down rock music.

So we're hardly buttkissers here, and there are plenty of negative responses on these boards that don't get attacked.

Is GATS the most original song I've ever heard? Not exactly. But considering it's one of the least mainstream songs the band has ever released (as well as one of the most technical drumming wise) it's certainly great to see the band not caring about making single-friendly rock songs.

Great GATS cover on YouTube! You made that song your bitch.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I wasn't attacking his opinion about the song, really. It was only the bashing towards the metal scene as a whole I had a problem with, and especially with the way it was worded. But anyway, yes, I over-reacted and I have already apologized for that. My first post was kind of a dick-move honestly.

I hope we can just move on now.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

You mean that part where they repeat "Come down" like 15 times until the song ends?

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Please complete this survey to the best of your ability:

☐ Shots Not Fired
    ☑ Shots Fired

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Please complete this survey to the best of your ability:

☐ Shots Not Fired
    ☑ Shots Fired

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

It's on par with The Catalyst as to how much it's pleasantly surprised me. I remember when The Catalyst came out and everyone was losing their shit, some people like me were in total awe and others couldn't stand the new style. In any case GATS has grown on me more and more. Rakim's part in particular is awesome and the intensity of the track overall makes it by far their heaviest song. After the relatively mellow Living Things, it was a welcome change.

On a side note, Rob is ridiculous in this track.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Ridiculous is right. There's this kid that did a drum cover of GATS (slightly sped up and pitch-bent due to copyright issues) and it definitely helps you appreciate what Rob is doing on the track:

[youtube]7cwXtfU0Uvo[/youtube]

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Thank you so much! :) That song is an absolute pleasure to play, although my face doesn't really express it (or ever :lol:).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Not to say that they didn't water down Blackout's lyrics a lot, I've criticized this myself a lot too, they went from "beautiful hallucionation" to "all the lies how they cut so deeply" for the sake of using "lies". The entire bridge by itself shows they can be perfectly creative with their lyrics without resorting to "lies" or "pain" or "real" or LT's new fad "promises".

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Well, the line you singled out "All the lies how they cut so deeply," you forget to mention the first part of it. "It's written upon your face." While the song has several ways to interpret it, you can really piece the song together like this: It's about a relationship. It goes south. You do things to make you forget the relationship. Take it overboard and completely lose it(in the bridge) until your body fails you and you blackout. Hell, it could even be about government with lies and a person taking it to the point of fighting back and failing, thus the outro/bridge representing death. While that is all interpretation, that explains it to me that you can't have your "beautiful hallucination" without "all the lies how they cut so deeply." For me, in the flow of Blackout, the Bridge/Outro is a direct effect of the first part of the song.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I wanna see.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Still he has a point(on Blackout)
    When you have the option to say something in a more metaphorical/original way - you should use it.(If you want to impress/mesmerize people with your writing)
    Someday i will count every time they use the words "Lies", "Promises", "Pain" on every album and then you may understand why some people are getting a little tired of it.

On a side note - Rakim saves GATS lyrically and overall makes the song so much more awesome

Fleur de Lys

Fleur de Lys Well-Known Member

I actually feel the phrase and theme "Let It Go" has been the most used in LP since Meteora. Especially on ATS and Living Things.

It seems to be the message they care about the most.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

They went from "word candy" shit that didn't make sense and happened to use the word "lies" to form a message that actually makes sense.

You think Mike and Chester be in the studio like "Yo, we gotta change this shit up. We didn't even use the word lie" ?

Xpeerahmental

Xpeerahmental Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I have an affinity for intellectual lyrics. That hasn't stopped me from liking LP, because, their average lyrics are frankly sub-par and one dimensional. (Again, LP is my favorite band.)

That being said, my first impression was an instant jaw drop. I did miss this "visceral" approach, a lot, and I was instantly hype.
    Then I started to think it was kind of flat and boring, comparing it to all the numerous layers of ATS and LT. I felt like the guitar could of been sharper in some way and that the vocal delivery was bland and list-y.

But... my final verdict on that notion is, so what?

To me, it's like sex. Or rather, proposing/going about the idea of having sex. Sometimes nothing is better than a subtle, gradual, yet deep approach. Sweet and/or observant talk (Good lyrics) and stages, a clear path (Layers to the song). However, (and this goes the exact same way for music to me), sometimes nothing beats just blatantly saying or doing it in the simplest and most straight forward of ways. (GATS)

People have this completely false notion of music "Evolving". It changes, yes, but the occurrence of evolution is not a good way to look at it because then everyone thinks that any direction but forward is just bad. I grow tired of rock all the time, but there have been a select few that do it in such a refreshing but true-to-form way that just revive my interest and belief that the genre can be recovered.

In short, I think GATS is perfect for what it embodies and suggests as a move by LP. Yeah, lyrics are a bit boring, but to be honest I've happened to favor LP's lead singles the very least out of every album every time since MTM. Yet, GATS is easily my favorite one so far between WID, TC, and BID.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  20. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

The lyrics are amazing on the track. The way I see it is that they (Chester + Rakim) are attacking the fact that we as a society have this image of a perfect person. To be happy, we need to look good, be popular, be rich, have very nice things, etc. And this is mostly at the fault of the people we look up to (who the media pays attention to: ex. Justin Bieber). When these idles make large mistakes and set bad examples, they don't feel guilty about it at all, even though they are setting bad examples (smoking, drug use, etc.).

That's a terrible explanation (I'm terrible at explaining things). Hope you guys understand what I'm talking about.