Would anyone else like some more positive songs like The Messenger?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Delicious Dave, Mar 10, 2014.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

One thing I love about The Messenger is it's sense of hope. It gives you hope in darker times. So many LP songs involve being angry and regretting something, I'd love to see more uplifting messages in their songs.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Agreed. This and Iridescent were two extremely refreshing songs lyrically.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I could be wrong, but judging from what we got with Guilty All The Same, it looks like these types of songs will not have a place in the up-coming record. By the way, where's Vdalem at? I would like a cookie right now...

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'd like a positive song called "We're sorry for Meteora and we'll never do it again."

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Sure, why not.

Hopefully the new album isn't just wheeny whiny lyrics though.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Not like. The band needs more positive songs. Sometimes the angst gets repetitive.

Minus

Unless you approach it the right way.

NIN has been dealing in angry lyrics for 25 years and Trent is still fresh as fuck.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Tbh Iridescent and The Messenger are my least favorite songs off ATS... But Roads Untraveled which I really enjoy is positive too so yeah, whatever

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

Absolutely. They're great with positive songs to me, so I definitely think they should more.

I can only think of The Messenger, Iridescent, Robot Boy, and Roads Untraveled as the only ones, though.

Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

You forgot about Not Alone ;)

Arachnids

Arachnids The way out is through...

I think The Messenger was that way because it fit the concept well, and it had to be there, after The Catalyst's prayer for mercy. Even Robot Boy was very hopeful, I feel. But again, it worked because of the concept.

Other than that, I don't think there should be a lot of them, because Linkin Park has always been synonymous with sad/angry lyrics, and it really wouldn't fit that well. It's good occasionally though (Roads Untraveled).

Hesitation Marks was very fresh, lyrically. There were no angry lyrics at all, although they were dark at times. Same goes for Year Zero and The Slip, and With Teeth was mostly nihilistic and thought provoking, though a few songs do have angry lyrics. So I wouldn't say NIN has always had 'angry' lyrics.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Minus

My bad. Autocorrected to "angry" when it should've been "angsty".

Which all of NIN is. Year Zero was an album molded in fear of what the Government could become. Hesitation Marks has fear throughout, although interpreted in a different way than NIN's past.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Maybe the new album is their apology :lol:

SKaRR*oKi

SKaRR*oKi Everything.Falls.Apart

I don't understand how anyone can hate Meteora so much and still be a fan of Linkin Park.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I don't understand how someone could think that they'd have to like literally everything a band did in order to call themselves a fan.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

How does not liking one album in LP's discography render Minus not a fan? He hates it, so what? He can call himself a fan if he wants to. Being a fan doesn't mean liking every single release a band puts out.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Meteora" is my least-favourite of the discography, but, to me, Linkin Park is more than that one album. :)

SKaRR*oKi

Good job I didn't say that then

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

No, but it was implied by your wording. You were saying that you couldn't believe Minus could be a fan if they hated Meteora as much as they did. Well, what would you want them to do otherwise in order for them to consider themselves a fan? That's a pretty elitist line of thinking, don't you think? Why should their status as a fan be impacted at all by your thoughts on what they like and don't like? Chillax, bro. You can not like an album a band has done and still consider yourself a fan. Are those who hated ATS but liked Living Things any less fans as the opposite? They still follow what the band has done and like it enough to say they're fans, so...

With a band as diverse as Linkin Park, you can't really say that you don't expect there to be fans out there who hate whole ALBUMS based on what sound they adopted. Linkin Park changes. They do not stick to one "sound", so logically, people won't like everything they've ever done, would they?

Just chill out dude and relax. So what, he has a hateboner for Meteora. Why does that have to impact you?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    SKaRR*oKi

Yeah completely I think everyone's misread me there, I'm not saying minus isn't a fan, I'm not saying they can't call themselves a fan, they can.

I meant that I probably wouldn't be a fan of Linkin Park if it wasn't for Meteora and I'm sure I'm one of many, so I've always considered it one of their biggest releases. If I didn't like it, I wouldnt be a Linkin Park fan. Forget the "calling yourself" part. Actually "be" a fan. Not having a go just trying to clarify