Comic Books.

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Minus, Mar 10, 2014.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

What with the rise of the nerd and the success of superhero movies, I figured a thread purely for comic books was in order.

What are you currently reading? Who is your favorite artist, writer? What is your favorite series?

I'll start with my current pull list. I'm mostly pulling Marvel and Image comics lately due to my ongoing disappointment with DC (aside from Earth 2, which I really enjoy). Here's what I have going on:

DEADPOOL - Duggan is the first writer of Deadpool I have enjoyed since Remender's classic Uncanny X-Force. I love how much more in-depth he goes with the character as opposed to those that just focus on the jokes (not that Duggan doesn't do jokes, but they usually have meaning behind them).
    MS. MARVEL - Recently relaunched with a new kid taking up the mantle. She's a teenage Pakistani in Jersey City and the artwork is fucking GORGEOUS. Really excited to see how this one goes.
    MOON KNIGHT - Another new launch and damn. The artwork here is phenomenal too along with how they're approaching Moon Knight as a character.
    MAGNETO - Another new launch. Long story short, it's Magneto acting like he's Punisher. And my God is it glorious.
    SAGA - It's a story about a man and a woman told by their kid in the future. That's all I'll say. It's too great not to spoil if you haven't read it yet.
    INVINCIBLE - The best damned superhero comic ever. Seriously.

Squish Mitten

Squish Mitten I'm a five-star general; infantry controller.

Well I haven't read many, but out of the ones I have [Which are mostly graphic novels/limited series], Frank Miller would be my favorite artist/writer, and Watchmen would be my favorite novel.

I'm currently reading X-Men Days of Future Past to gear up for the movie. :)

My comic book knowledge is very limited though, and I would love to get into them, but I never know where to start. :p Suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

The Walking Dead. That's it.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I haven't been reading that much comics lately, but I'm collecting Marvel's Infinity storyline.

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Walking Dead
    Mass Effect
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (I've only read the first two trades though)

Fairly late into getting into comics. Was never really able to get into them without them actually being available. Now there's a local comic shop, so that simplifies things.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm playing catch-up with a lot of Marvel. Aside from my pulls, I've got a backlog of trades that I'm reading. Ultimate Spider-Man and All-New X-Men currently.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Grew up as a manga fan and only got into comics in the recent year both as a study and enjoyment. My last haul included:

- Batman: Hush
    - Flash: Flashpoint (and the books preceding the event)
    - Marvel: Civil War
    - Batman: Year Zero
    - Justice League: The New 52
    - Superman: Unchained
    - Punk Rock Jesus

I'm working on a title right now with a team of start-up publishers. I'll see where that goes..

Dizzy Slay

Dizzy Slay Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much this counts but I just got done reading the novelization of the Marvel Civil War story. Very very good! I had a question though, at the end of the story theres a mention of the Secret Avengers. So is THAT the next story arc i should read?

Also, I've been reading The Deadpool Complete Collection series by Daniel Way. I think Daniel Way's Deadpool is my favorite.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

You're god damn right.

It is The Greatest Superhero Comic in the Universe.

Edit: Does Manga count in this thread?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Don't see why it shouldn't!

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Robert Kirkman, the guy who made Walking Dead, created Invincible, right?

Jesse

Yes. He's got a lot of good comics.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

Just read the final issue of Superior Spider-Man. Though I enjoyed the series it was so heart warming to have Peter back in control again. I'm definitely looking forward to the Amazing Spider-Man relaunch and seeing how Peter deals with Otto's actions.

Jesse

Anyone read Morning Glories?