[AUDIO] Until It's Gone - Listen to Linkin Park's New Single from The Hunting Party

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 5, 2014.

Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

8/10 From My Side.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Until It's Gone

- Reminiscent of LIVING THINGS material
    - Love the synths.
    - Didn't give me the "holy fuck!" impression that 'Guilty All The Same' succeeded with.
    - The mixing is horrible. The more interesting elements of the track alongside Chester's vocals are smothered away.
    - Chester's aggressive approach has really wavered.

Decent and was exactly as expected. I was hoping for a surprise, but alas..

6/10

Also, loved the video.

lpmadness

lpmadness Well-Known Member

I love it, Chester's vocals are excellent! Still excited to hear a song with Mike on it though! I'm sure this will be the softest song on the album.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

I humbly disagree. This is better than most of Living Thing imo. This one has tremendous attention to detail. Listen to the little guitar and synth parts scattered all throughout the background. They've also played around with the soft/loud structure and turned it into more of a build up.

So yeah, musically this is a lot better than LT's stuff. This is obviously the "obligatory hit song" that they had to have for the album to get any attention.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Yeah, this song is structured way better than anything on LTs, imo. It's done really well. In terms of structure, this is one the best songs they've done in that regard. Everything builds up really well.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

The lyrics are going to stop this song from being a classic, but Chester's delivery still gives me chills. So, overall, it's great, but not as good as Guilty All the Same. At least those are my thoughts right now.

Carnivore

Carnivore Well-Known Member

anyone else think the bridge sounds like lockjaw?

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

You guys keep bashing the lyrics, this line: "'Cause finding what you got sometimes, means finding it alone" struck me as super insightful the first time I heard it. The rest of it isn't terrible either. But people will be people, expecting a band that's been lyrically weak for almost 2 decades to suddenly write poetry...

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Just letting people know the reason people don't "love it" is not because it is softer than GATS but because it is a less interesting song.
    Sounds like something that would fit on LT while the band had been going on about how they were finished with that pop rock sound.
    I can't help but feel like this is going to feel out of place on the record.
    Don't get me wrong I don't want a 100% balls to the wall record with no dynamic shifts but I wasn't expecting a mainstream pop rock song after I heard the first single which was a five minute long head banger.
    Rating at the moment: 7,5/10

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

After about 10 listens I'll say this:

It's a good song but not their best. I think they've made a mistake choosing this as the second single. You can't base the hype for an album on being anti-pop and then release the most commercial sounding song from it to promote it. The song itself reminds me a little bit too much of Powerless for my liking. The lyrics aren't great either.

That said, Chester's vocals are awesome on this. I also think it's a far better second single than LIES GREED MISERY was. I'm also taking into account that apparently none of the album will sound like this (which is weird to me, why include this track on the album then?) so I'm not going to immediately jump to the conclusion that the band have gone back on their word about becoming heavier.

xAVRx

xAVRx New Member

Reminiscent of LT and lyrics are sub par but definitely a step in the right direction

LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Agreed. The thing I LOVE about this song is how it builds up quite well.
    I'm just a LITTLE disappointed since we did GATS first and the fact that the drums were put way in the back.

Also, did anyone else think the first 20 seconds sounded like 30 seconds to Mars?

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I hope a multitrack comes out soon so I can try and make a better mix of it. Also to listen to Chester's vocals on their own because that was some of his best work yet. Anyway this is the best "What I've Done shit" song they've done in ages.

Luke

YES. It screamed 30STM to me instantly.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

On my 6th or 7th listen, I'm getting tired of it :mellow:

Again this ain't a bad song but it's too much "typical LP". This one is not for me I guess. Maybe this is better 'cause it will calm down my hype about the record a bit, so that I'll be able to focus more on my exams in June ahah

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

That's actually my favorite line in the track.

And hey, at least the mixing isn't Black Gives Way To Blue bad. I love that album but that has to be the most clipped and muddled mix I've ever heard.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

They have had plenty of good lyrics sprinkled throughout their songs. And it seems like after their long experience they should be getting better at it. They've definitely improved in structure, instrumentation, etc. So why can't they be more consistent with their lyric writing? I don't get it, and I don't think it's weird to be disappointed about that.

l4g_testify

l4g_testify Well-Known Member

For me the song is a 10/10 because it's what I expected it to be. IMO the only thing giving off an ATS/LT vibe are the verses the rest of the song is something in itself and sounds awesome to me. Even though this album is suppose to be anti radio LP always have a song that represents the album but is radio friendly at the same time which I believe is this song. I actually like the lyrics, I see where people believe the lyrics are weak but I see a lot of people relating to the lyrics (relationships) so hopefully this song will jump the charts and promote the album! So far from what I've heard of THP... I'm satisfied!

Luke

BGWTB was poorly mixed but nothing compared to Death Magnetic.

Breno9712

Breno9712 Active Member

Yeah, sounds a bit like "Love Lust Faith + Dreams" material.