[AUDIO] Until It's Gone - Listen to Linkin Park's New Single from The Hunting Party

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 5, 2014.

1. warriorathlete21

warriorathlete21 Well-Known Member

Good lord, is there always this much complaining on here when new music is released?
    I don't remember there being this much when living things came out.
    Also, I wouldn't write off this album even if you don't like this track. There's still 9 more to hear and judging from how different these first 2 tracks were, it's a safe bet that the rest will be a bit different as well.

2. LPGuy

LPGuy Banned

IMO LP have never been great at lyric writing, but these new lyrics are one dimensional, their meaning isn't open for discussion like other bands such as Nine Inch Nails or Depeche Mode. But this is turning out to be even less substantial than Living Things, both of these songs have burnt out in terms of how interesting they are to me. I remember listening to The Catalyst or What I've Done constantly up until album release.

I've listened to Until It's Gone 4 times now, first time I heard it I enjoyed the first minute, assuming it'd get better.. When it finished I was like: "That's it?" The second time I heard it I enjoyed it more because I knew what to expect from the AWKWARD structure, a problem I also had with GATS, the drums and guitar stop randomly in an attempt to feel edgy and it throws me off until I learn the song.
    Anyway, third time I heard it I completely forgot I was listening to the song until it came to the end, I got so bored I started checking my email 20 seconds in. And I listened critically for the fourth time and found it very unenjoyable again, this is the first Linkin Park single that I have no desire to play a few hours after release, the fan boy in me does not exist anymore. IMO they fucked up, they fucked up bad.

3. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

LP has been doing the on again off again guitar and drums since the beginning of the band....

4. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

So Linkin Park is having an identity crisis? Ahh...maybe it's a midlife crisis. Who knows.

5. Mitch

Mitch YTB

Yep. I agree. I reckon it's a quality song. People can have their own opinion on it and that's fine but I disagree with a lot of the comments in this thread.

6. Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I tried listening to GATS and then this in my headphones while laying on my bed and I almost fell asleep with UIG.

I get that too, I must have played The Catalyst around 500 times before the album dropped, and it still was as interesting and polarizing as the first listen, I always kept discovering new bits and sounds every few listens. The only songs that could spark any emotion in me in LT were In My Remains and Castle of Glass, everything else seems forced, and even when their lyrics were not "whoa"-material they still had that "thing" that made them compelling.

7. DannyLP

DannyLP Well-Known Member

OK this is my 6th listen to this song. It's really not that bad at all. The only thing i reaally can complain about are the lyrics.

We all know that LP is more about the instruments than the lyrics anyway...

8. LPGuy

LPGuy Banned

Edited due to mind changing on song.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  9. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Do you know when the drama on these forums was at its highest (at least in my experience)? When The Catalyst/A Thousand Suns was released. The amount of butt hurt on here was astronomical. It was kind of funny honestly.

And guess what? Years later we consider ATS one of if not the best Linkin Park album.

Linkin Park has always been polarizing...nothing new really.

10. hybrid1988

hybrid1988 Fever Daydream

I liked the Catalyst and ATS before it was cool.

/smug hipster statement :kappa:

11. wolflink

wolflink I feel very privileged in debt for my thirst

The lyrics could be generic
    But Chester sing it like god

12. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Pop is not just defined by sound. Pop is also defined by the construction of the song. The metaphor I often like to use is that the way a song is structured and written and composed is the foundation of a house, and the sound is the painting and furniture.

Other than maybe Imagine Dragons, no, you probably won't hear a song that sounds like UIG on the radio. But you will hear songs with simple verse/chorus structure (although to be fair, EDM "drop" structure has overtaken just as much as V/C), simple catchy hooks, vague lyrics about super universal themes, 3-4 minutes long, lots of repetition, etc.

Until It's Gone is very much a constructed pop song, even if it doesn't have the same color of paint that other pop songs do at the moment. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it makes the band look bad given the constant railing against pop music Mike has been doing.

13. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I give them a pass on one song that goes against the grains of the album. Mike's flat out said there's a business aspect of the music industry that needs to be tended to in addition to the creative side. They needed the mass appeal song. Now, if a lot of the album sounds like UIG...then yeah...it starts looking a little fishy.

14. AkirraKrylon

AkirraKrylon LPA VIP LPA VIP

Xero - you make all valid points but pretty much what Ben said...there's always that one lead single, catchy chorus, we-need-to-promote-the-album-on-radio song.

Based on everything else that has been said/descriptions we've gotten, I have no reason to believe the rest of the album will follow this same structure/vibe. The Hunting Party will kick ass and take no prisoners. Calling it now.

15. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it'll kick ass either...and leave no survivors. Lol I expect this album to just erupt viciousness and aggression. And I couldn't be more excited about it.

16. LPSoldier94

LPSoldier94 Member

I strongly disagree with 90% of the opinions on this thread. But I respect.
    I just wanted to say that in all these 14 years of LP albums (which I listen since the beginning), I couldn't be more happy and satisfied with their improvement and growth in all these years.
    Their lyrics we're always great, so as the musics structure. The only album I didn't like very much was ATS, but not for the musics in it, it was because of the lack of music in it, ATS has 15 tracks but only 9 songs, if you know what I mean. But these 9 songs are awesome.
    Living Things surprised me very much because of the simplicity of the songs and I love it.
    That is my opinion.
    I love GATS, and UIG surprised me, I love it too now.
    Anyway, that's just MY opinion.

The Hunting Party is coming and it's going to be a masterpiece.

17. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Even though I don't work for the band, having heard the 6 song sampler I feel I kinda have an obligation to kind of set the story straight here. When you guys hear the other songs from the sampler, you'll realize why UIG was picked as the single, despite being sort of different from the 'vision' the band has been trying to convey in interviews. To be frank the others weren't exactly 'single friendly'. Until It's Gone has the most similar sound to the older material and the lyrics are clean meaning no special edits had to be done.

The other songs either have the word "fuck" in them, or if no "fucks"...they just don't really have as marketable of a sound as UIG. Infact Keys To The Kingdom is pretty heavy in the choruses. Stacked against the other tracks, this song was the obvious single.

18. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I actually really like this song :)

Thank you :)

I figured as much! I mean you did say in the 6 song sample thread there was a good amount of rapping and screaming. People are just jumping to conclusions. Sure they can be pissed but you should have seen it coming. They arent going to release a scream heavy song for a single.

I also feel like this song and A Line in the Sand might be the only two soft tracks on the album. maybe a 3rd but I doubt there would be three the way theve been promoting the album

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  19. Richoguy13

Richoguy13 Then it slipped away...

Song is awesome, feeling the excitement.

20. hybrid.theory7

hybrid.theory7 Well-Known Member

Guilty all the same was really good.but this song feels like a song from Living things. And I expected more from the lyrics point of view. And I can't believe how much the band and the fans are hyping that THP is taking them back to their roots. It's in no way a prequel to Hybrid theory.I'm sure this song will be chart topper ,but I kinda expected a bit more.
    Closing thoughts:
    GATS - full version of victimized (post punk)
    UIG - BID + in my remains + I'll be gone

This is my opinion so ,please no hate.

Last edited: May 6, 2014