Chester and Mike Discuss "The Hunting Party" - Part 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, May 15, 2014.

1. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

Actually, every band you listed except for the Black Keys aren't actually listed with rock genres. If you visit the wikipedia pages of each band respectively, you'll fine only the Black Keys are listed all rock and every other band has a different genre listed as opposed to any form of rock.

Edit: yes I know I used wikipedia but wikipeida is actually accurate for general information such as genres of a band.

2. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Genres which all are derived from various forms of rock music.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  3. Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

Man, I'm starving for some news! I really thought Part 2 would have been uploaded by now. Hopefully tomorrow we'll get that or some other announcement.

I saw the above debate/discussion. I don't really know what mainstream/pop rock bands are like, since I don't listen to the radio much. I think I might check out the bands that are labelled "rock" these days to get a better idea of what Mike's been talking about.

4. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

This radio station used to play rock. And it's a Rock/Alternative station. THAT'S WHY

5. EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Disturbed? One of their songs doesn't even make any sense and the main lyric is like "ooh wha-ah-ah-ah!"...basically the band fucking blows no matter how "heavy" it sounds. Green Day's post 90's radio singles save for Good Riddance are all pop rock. What year is this? 2014? I didn't know Seether and Nickelback were still all the rage. Ladies and gentleman Foster The People is too pop we need to play to "Blurry" by Puddle of Mudd and "Someday" by Nickelback on loop like we always did and tease in some Breaking Benjamin because the world is coming to an end with this pop music!

Pop on the radio? Can it be?

Give me a fucking break (of that kit kat bar)

6. Richoguy13

Richoguy13 Then it slipped away...

I'll probably be able to pick up the album on June 12th in the afternoon. Leaks don't tempt me, they just ruin the experience.

7. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Do people consider Imagine Dragons "rock"?

8. EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

I just think that everyone using the radio as a reference to the current music scene is comical at best. We live in a day and age where we can control our world. You don't need to rely on the radio to play something you can like. Cars have CD players, or even an option for aux cords which could link up to your mp3 players, iPods, or even phone that contains Pandora which will most likely narrow down the music you hear to your specific preferences.

Award shows, yes, a different story. Radio doesn't really mean a damn thing anymore.

9. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

That's completely different. It's not about controlling what you hear. I guess radio is more about the unintentional liking of songs that you wouldn't have tried on your own. People can obviously just plug their phones in and listen to the music they want. But a large number of people still listen to radio. I love tuning into the radio when I'm off to work. It's a great relief to have someone talk about something and then play music. It's not stagnant. It's entertaining. Also, radio is a great way to listen to new music that you probably wouldn't have heard otherwise. The problem is that its, currently, a way to listen to new "pop" music since no one plays rock music anymore.

Also, there are these certain instances where you wouldn't listen to a song because it might not seem to appeal to you but after repeated listening on the radio, you might start liking it.
    Imagine someone hating LP for making a song like A Light that Never Comes and vows to not even give them a chance again. Imagine him switching on the radio and suddenly hearing GATS.

10. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

God damn it Mike Shinoda. Now more and more Linkin Park fans are going to start equating heaviness with "rock" and non-heaviness with "pop" again. Just when we were starting to get over that.

11. Vic

Vic No game no life

:popcorn:

12. Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

According to wikipedia, "Alternative Rock; Indie Rock

13. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Well, at least it will remember some that rock actually can be heavy.

You said it yourself, the kind of rock that is popular now is more groovy, funky, psychedelic. Mike wanted to bring back some rawer influences into the game, as he saw people today aren't familiar anymore with such bands as Refused, At The Drive In, Helmet, and so on. That's the same thing that whatever band trying to relive disco influences, or 70 psychedelic rock influences, or whatever.

14. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that part of it. In newer LPTVs Mike has scaled back his talking points to basically just saying "we looked for modern heavy rock music, we couldn't find it, so we decided to make it ourselves." That's a fantastic explanation. It's all the nonsense from earlier on that some of the fanbase has latched onto that's a real issue.

15. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, you are indeed correct however this does lend itself to the argument of the current state of rock music and how it has lost of the rawness/

16. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I understand the arguments that rock music has changed and that just like hair metal, then grunge, and nu metal before it, rock genres are going to come and go. But the above tweet by Lorde sums up my thoughts entirely. There is music being called rock music nowadays that wouldn't have been called rock in *any* generation. Hell when the artist themselves is making fun of being called rock then you know mainstream radio has become really stupid. Sure mainstream radio isn't a good place to find great music and I'll confess that, but it at least used to know when a song was pop and when a song was "rock". Now there's no line between the two.

17. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I was never saying rock can't be heavy. A lot of rock isn't heavy and terr is nothing wrong with that. Take 3 Doors Down for example. They used to be Huge and they aren't heavy. I never once meant to say that rock needs to be heavy. A lot of the music I listed aren't even that heavy.

Derek summed up exactly how I feel but in actual words. I just went straight to an example :lol:

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  18. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I'm sorry but that's just wrong.

They're a part of this new ''alternative'' scene, while I wouldn't really say they're alternative.

Probably because it was not album time.

-

It's fucking ridiculous Lorde won Best Rock Song. It's also ridiculous she was nominated for Best Rock Album. I honestly blame stuff like Billboard and the Grammy's for people still dividing music by genres.

19. Twisted Smage

Twisted Smage The hardest part of ending is starting again.

I've always wondered what it would be like if all radio stations began playing other bands that aren't as well known and ones that are well known. IMO the band, Man Overboard, is a great current pop punk band that deserves radio play because of what I feel is a perfect balance of pop and aggressiveness. If all radio stations played current quality bands then people would have no choice but to hear them when then turn on the radio. That's basically what's happening now when companies are forcing people to listen to today's most popular artists because they want the people to.

20. BLACKOUT

BLACKOUT Well-Known Member

Great band.

Deaf Havana are another fantastic band who don't get much attention.

[video=youtube;te712XaVMgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te712XaVMgM[/video]