Chester and Mike Discuss "The Hunting Party" - Part 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, May 15, 2014.

1. TheRadiance

TheRadiance Guardian

Do genres really fucking matter?

2. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

When you're discussing how they've changed and how things have evolved over the years: Unequivocally, yes.

3. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Rock is still alive and well. Merely, the genre has gone in a different direction. It's not as loud, it isn't as aggressive and to be frank, I don't mind it too much. It's a fantastic progression as it forces advocates of the style before it to either push the boundaries and tap into something explosively refreshing, or it dies off.

In my opinion, Linkin Park is simply one of many acts out there of whom are after the same goal. The only difference is that the band is one of the bigger acts out there that harbors the advantage of such a huge fanbase. In turn, 'The Hunting Party' will hopefully be something both groundbreaking and reflective of the genre. Perhaps they'll be the poster child for bringing hard rock back into the scene.

4. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I actually do view Imagine Dragons as rock. Sure they're more on the poppier side of the rock spectrum, but I'd more quickly call them "rock" than say...Lorde for instance.

5. stringsibanez

stringsibanez ...

Discussions like this force me to put words to ideas I've only really "thought" before.. I suppose that while I've often lumped a lot of things together under an over-arching "pop" umbrella, there is realistically a pretty substantial difference between solo-artist-pop (stuff like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Miley, Bieber) and group-oriented-pop made by bands.. an increasing number of which, it would seem, are finding a home on "rock radio".

"Pop" bands have always existed. "Hanson" was promoted as a band. Something like "Goo Goo Dolls" was likely considered "Pop" while also being "Rock". A good deal of early "Rock and Roll" from the 50-60s was pretty "pop-y", but maybe less so in its sound during its time. I wouldn't say that pop or rock are defined so much by a specific sound as they are by subject matter, or maybe the underlying attitude.
    If I were to differentiate the two, in a very broad sense, I would say that Pop-music is most often intended to be "fun", "up-beat", "dance-y", "especially memorable", and often a little more "simple"; where Rock would generally be created with more thought-provoking, serious, or maybe "deep" ideas behind it.. but it's too easy to pull examples that wouldn't exactly fit those definitions.

At the heart of it, my issue stems from how modern music feels like it's pervading society: Jazz started out as "race-music" at dance clubs or parties for "coloured people" in the ~20s and found its way into popular culture as more youth got excited about it. Blues started out as "race-music" in bars and got early Rock musicians going.. Rock was underground "youth-noise" and gained momentum until popular culture was forced to capitalize on it monetarily. Punk, and then 80s Metal, and then Grunge came to popularity in a similar way; being considered underground and abrasive, until popular culture was forces to embrace them .. because capitalism. Even the somewhat short-lived "Screamo" era made it to radio this way.

Right now it just feels like what's on rock-radio simply came from an "underground" scene, but didn't so much force its way into culture as it was put there by a commercial attempt to predict or cause the "next move in music". I might not be a teenager, but I've had enough of them talk to me about how "rock is dying" and tell me EDM or Rap is simply replacing it to know that this "indie-pop" trend, as it has been referred to, isn't speaking to or having enough of an impact on the generation that drives these shifts forward to match the above mentioned shifts in music.

Who knows, I've been wondering if it's possible that the internet's ability to provide instant-access to all cultures and creativity might make it so that these types of shifts don't happen the same way anymore. It feels like music is more likely to just branch out into a landscape where genres don't come up and then fizzle out so much as sustain themselves indefinitely.. apart from media-support. Maybe modern record labels, and mainstream-radio are just looking for a new wave that isn't going to look like what they expect. The same way they failed to predict the internet's first major impact on the industry.

/book of ramblings

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  6. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

More Itunes Countdown Theories

So on another topic, I knew it but I didnt check it and when I asked, "didn't coldplay do it?" no one responded.

Coldplay was one of the bands to do an itunes countdown (as was One Republic). However, Coldplay did one song a day for a week. Now this seems less likely with only 3 other songs having track times but technically couldnt LP do it too?

Here is what I found in my research and personal experiences. I was apart of the Coldplay countdown (and remembered it too) but didn't care to back it with facts. I was also apart of the One Republic one (just forgot until now, S/O Brandon). and I remember being part of a 3rd one that was more normal (dont remember who it was)

Three types:

Coldplay did 1 song a day for a week the week before the album came out
    One Republic did a song every 2 weeks
    and the normal, 1 song a week leading up to the album.

Since the 1 a week is starting to seem less likely, it could be that LP could do what Coldplay did, release the songs day after day the week before the album. It would make sense as it would still fulfill "more music before the album" but also not be given to us too early and spoil the album for us.

Also, I went and checked on Facebook, and neither One Republic or Coldplay announced that it was happening. Coldplay ignored it all together while One Republic posted about the song the day they came out but never earlier. Now they could have just not said anything on facebook (even though both were very active during the times these were going on) but this is interesting to note because LP could just do it out of the blue like with these two artists.

Yes, lots of incoherent speculation but I thought id share what I found

7. Residentturdface

Residentturdface Well-Known Member

8. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

What on earth is that 'iTunes countdown' you talk about so much? Also you seem the only one who mentions it. I can't really see much more happening before the album besides written reviews and perhaps some snippets, apart from a possible stream ala LT, not much more..

9. TheRadiance

TheRadiance Guardian

Artists have utilized what used to be called an "iTunes Countdown" in which they would release a new song per week leading up to the release of a new album. iTunes had something for a little while named the iTunes Pass as well, which Lupe Fiasco did with Lasers. Pure speculation based on certain songs have lengths on iTunes while the rest don't. It's more than likely nothing but could be that they're going to release more songs before the album comes out.

10. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Did you remember the thread where the album was put on itunes and only 3 songs (besides the singles) had times put up? That means Itunes already has those songs and there would be no reason to have only certain songs and not others. So speculation (In OP of that thread, I wasnt the first person to mention it, was actually like 5th or 6th) of an itunes countdown started to ensue. I just took it farther than everyone else because I had been apart of multiple itunes countdowns before.

Look at thread here: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40408 (I guess not in OP but many people mentioned it before me)

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  11. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

STOP WITH THE FUCKING ITUNES COUNTDOWN.

If it happens, it happens. But there's not a SINGLE CLUE the band has given of such.

12. lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

Well that's not entirely true. First, I mean Itunes does indeed have a couple songs not released yet and second, because the band has not advertised anything adds to the idea a countdown could happen as Blake mentioned earlier however the absence of evidence could just mean nothing is happening. But the Itunes thing is a clue but hard to determine the true meaning.

13. EastGhost

EastGhost Banned

Boring notting new need some album news

14. thor

thor Well-Known Member

only 27 more days, you'll make it ;) i'm always hype when Linkin Park has a new album out, but this one, this one feels different. somehow i'm not as overly hype like on past albums, don't get me wrong i am, but I think its just that I'm trying to not get too excited. if I do, time goes by super slow. its best, well for me, not to think about the album so by the time i know it, it'll be JUNE 17!!!

15. tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

Music is music. I like all "Genre's" that Linkin Park may consider themselves. That includes their heavier side. In fact, I can't wait to hear their new side. I have a feeling I'll really dig it.

16. Izuan

Izuan Well-Known Member

Linkin Park is the genre :CUMULUS:

17. Wizardofozil

Wizardofozil Well-Known Member

it coming out june 13

18. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Obviously, release dates vary by region.

19. thor

thor Well-Known Member

I'm from California so, June 17 is the date for me. It'll probably be all over the internet June 13 or even earlier but I plan on buying and listening to the album on the release date.

20. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

I wish I had that kind of patience. I'm caving in as soon as it leaks. Which will hopefully be around a week before the 13th.