Music No Roads Left - Rewritten cover - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by rcm034, Jun 5, 2014.

rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

instrumental

with half-assed vocoder vocals (I have a cold so the vocals sounded crappy as hell. Threw a vocoded synth on the vocal track as a placeholder and forgot to re-do the levels. Damn synth is waaay too top heavy.)

What do you think? I re-wrote all of the parts, including the chord progression, and changed the style somewhat. Are the changes good or bad?

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

This is orgasmic - bravo!

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

The vocoder reminds me of this:

[youtube]Y6ljFaKRTrI[/youtube]

Blackened

Blackened Blackened Symphony

Did GLaDOS join a band or something? Nice cover btw.

Reflectionist

Reflectionist Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I would offer cerrtain parts of my anatoy if there's any way you're thinkin of collaboring in this? The new feels my VERY inspired. If not, no big dea. I'f you've got them available for download, I'll probably loop it and record my own drums. at the most. Your drum arrnagement intruigues me, but I hink i've got some better samples for you

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

What vocoder did you use? I've been wanting use some vocoders for remixes and stuff for a while.

rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

Vocodex. First time using it so I haven't quite tried all the settings/modes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgluz6dsj61wjnx/NRL tracks.zip

If you want to mess around with it, go right ahead. Just please ask before you upload it anywhere outside of LPA and credit me on anything for writing/performance.

That file has .wavs of the full instrumental, guitar bus, synth bus, drum bus, and guitars + synths through the master fx bus. Note that this last one will sound a bit different due to the drums not being present when it goes through the compressor -> exciter -> multiband compressor -> limiter at the end of the chain. I only left those on because it doesn't sound the same without them. If some places sound like the file is distorted, some tracks are just like that (e.g. one guitar track is recorded at 9.6 KHz instead of 96 KHz sample rate to make it sound glitched out.)

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

How did you make it sound like that? I have vocodex and it just sounds like shit for me.

rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

Used a SUPER buzzy synth for the input sound. I also increased the number of bands, widened the bandwith a bit, and decreased the "flatness" (last two things make the bands bleed into each other a bit). I think first or second order filtering, and I added in a little white noise with the HP on the noise passthrough lowered a bit. Make sure to set the inputs right for the carrier/modulator. I added a "vocal presence" eq (preset in fruity eq 2 if you have that) to the vocal track before it was sent to the vocoder. Turn the built in soundgoodizer down until the frequency response is somewhat normal or the fuck off, and compress the hell out of the output. I went back and EQ'd the output with the band gain multiplier curve and mixed in the dry vocal with high pass set to like 5k so the original highs get through after I uploaded this and it improved the sound quite a bit. It may help that I'm singing the same notes instead of just talking into it, too?

Reflectionist

Very great work, man! I can't wait to audition a few drums ideas for you.

rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

Tried to PM you back, but your inbox is full. If you want I can put it on my to do list to rerecord some parts if you want to drop the tempo. What bpm were you thinking?

Reflectionist

Fixed BPM isue. And I'm not sure about tempo, here. The song sounds natural in your heavy anthem interpretatoin, just as well as a downtempo interpretation like Lizzi Cloverman's, as an example.

I absolutely love what you've got going on right now with it, so I might play with both styles in different projects of the same song... Yeah?

How feasible would it be to render your guitar tracks separately and to tone down or mute the reverb / delay effects?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately all of the guitars were recorded wet. They are also all pretty much first or second take after being written, and probably need to be re-done anyway. That's the other reason I was thinking I might re-record them. I'm beating myself up for not saving my amp settings though, haha. At least I noted which guitar/tuning and pickup were used on most of them in the file names. There are at least 12 discrete guitar tracks, but I should be able to render them into about 3-4 groups that more or less separate all the major parts so the file size stays manageable.

Reflectionist

If you've got the guitar parts separated (you have multiple guitar parts, right?), then I can work around the wet signal easier. No need to feel obligated to re-record them on account of me, unless you just really want to. I thought a bit more, and I dont' thnk Lzzi's version isn't compatible with your reimaginng, unless I can get Lizzi to do her piano stuff as an intro to your version (kinda like the transition betwen Shadow of the Day and What I've Done on MtM).

rcm034

rcm034 Well-Known Member

Søuł

Søuł As rogue as they come

Awesome job man, I'm loving this.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

No Roads Left is one of my favourite LP songs, this rewritten cover gives it a really nice fresh new vibe. Would have been better if you had sung more powerfully with the vocals to really channel some emotion like the original does, but this is great man, good job!

Reflectionist

(Sorry, I've got two projects of making drum tracks for people, and got the threads confused. Please disregard other than I'll stand by what we agreed to earlier. That sounded like a good plan...and helps you guys have more creative control over your cover.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014