Chesters vocals on The Hunting Party

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Arun1910, Jun 20, 2014.

Arun1910

Arun1910 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are his vocals sometimes... Annoying? Not sure if that's the right word, his vocals are just weird on this record.

Sometime's he sounds off key, and the screaming chorus' on KTTK and ALITS are just not needed IMO.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Agree with the screams on KTTK , feels a little bit out of place imo. ALITS wasnt that bad, i really like it there. But it just my opinion.

Arun1910

Arun1910 Well-Known Member

I also think some of the singing on Wastelands is "off" too. I hope I'm not coming off like an Ass, I really do enjoy the record but Chester is just all over the place on this

Michele

YOu can feel free to express your opinion. I like the most of the vocals on THP , also if i messed something like Unit It Break style by Brad :lol:

tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

While I understand they wanted an "in your face record", some of the interludes ending these songs.. just don't make any sense. There are no valid transitions other than Drawbar to Final Masquerade/ALITS. I LOVE the record as I'm an LP fan and it's better than LT in my opinion, but where the fuck is DJ Hahn? He's like.. not there on 8 of the songs. I understand they wanted an 80's punk/rock vibe, and they got that. But IMO they sorta had that down with Wretches and Kings and some of their older tracks. The vocals in a Line in The Sand when Chester screams really aren't necessary. Keys to the Kingdom.. while it's wild, it fits. It has nice melodies and a catchy as fuck chorus. A song "in your face" or not.. should be catchy. That's what makes good music, music. Other than lyrically.

A lot of the album.. there aren't catchy chorus' which is why it won't last long to listen to. The songs chorus' don't really grab you. While everyone hated M2M at first, the songs were very pleasant to listen to.

It doesn't need to be pop, but even a few DJ hahn spins here and there and some backing/evening out on the production vocals could've made a HUGE difference for someones listening experience. I understand they wanted to ditch the electronics, but that's what made them Linkin Park. This album is NOTHING like Hybrid Theory or Meteora instrumentally. I don't understand why peoples reviews are comparing it to their older sound, it sounds nothing like it. I think with some of the songs: I just don't really like, at all. I absolutely just don't like War, it doesn't match with Chesters voice. Rebellion as much as everyone went wild over it at first, the way Mike sings that song... it doesn't fit either. It's like they're trying to be someone they're not at this point aka "punk" and even Mike's vocals sound off on this record in terms of his rapping aka in Wastelands. I feel like they're a little lost at this point, hopefully they'll find their way again. Add some of their famous electronics, and the presence of DJ Hahn, and we have LP. Regardless of them evolving and changing, even in the first two records their electronics have always since been there (well, maybe not a LOT of Hybrid Theory), however... DJ Hahn has been there. A band isn't complete without the WHOLE band contributing.

This album is BETTER than Living Things without a doubt, but it's going to get stale fast. I know I keep using the word catchy, but it's the only way to describe the feeling that this album is missing. KTTK and FM are super catchy. The guitar riffs are amazing in ALITS, but Chesters vocals just don't belong. Rebellions, sounds cool as fuck. I just don't hear DJ Hahn nor do I think Mike's voice belongs in that song, at all. Please remember people, it's just one persons opinion, but me and my friends were discussing this and we admire what they did, it was a bold move. Just don't leave out what makes your elements YOURS as a band, and try to be something you're not.

I understand bands have to evolve in order to rise, but some of these vocals are just insanely off and not in a good way. I think maybe they were working hard on the guitar work/drumming and Joe Hahn was busy on his movie, to really concentrate on evening out on the vocals levels. You don't need to sound like you're in a garage to achieve an 80's sound. That band took a year to produce the album, compared to their normal 2 to 2 and a half years. It does show a bit, whether the guitar/drumming was stepped up or not. The album is still insane, it just feels like a demo album in my opinion. There's lack of emotion in some of the songs and vocals aren't up to par with their previous records. I dunno.. this album is just off to me vocally and somewhat instrumentally. There's something "missing" and I don't know what the hell it is, but it doesn't feel like a complete LP "experience".

At the end of the day: One thing that LP has always done.. they haven't disappointed in changing their sound each record. I think people would've been bitching even more if they made another Meteora/HT and said, "LP always makes the same thing, they're getting old." They're also still around kicking it, so they're obviously doing something right. However I hope with their next album, it'll be a bit more refined in terms of production, and catchier songs. The extra year or two would benefit them if they produced their next album, and I truly wouldn't mind waiting. I know not everyone feels the way I do, or maybe they just hate the record completely. I love the album, a lot. It's new, some of the songs structures are interesting to say the least and different once again. It just lacks empathy in some of the vocals, some of them are off, and DJ Hahn isn't present on the album at all. I love Punk, but it just doesn't work with Linkin Park.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

It sounds weird because that's how Chester actually sings. People blast Don Gilmore or Rick Rubin and the production of albums, but a lot of said production is what gave Chester that polished, perfect singing voice on the first few albums. This is how Chester actually sounds.

I prefer it.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i think that on this record chester sounds weak and thin, like his live performances this year. his voice is worn out, harsh.

theres a voice crack in KTTK. War and GATS he sounds thin and weird. Wastelands he shouts the notes, struggle to hit them. UIG and Rebellion are ok. MTG is good, but he pushes to hit notes he hits all the time. FM is the best vocals on the record. ALITS is weak, again he shouts and push to hit the notes, that arent hard at all.

during the whole album he sounds like a amateur singer, unaware of his own talent, shouting with no technique and screaming when there's no need to.

not true, we all know how he sounds live. we know how his natural voice is. MTM is very raw, even ATS and LT are not very studio edited. chester only had layers and lots of production on is voice on HT and meteora

Mario007

Mario007 Well-Known Member

I think that's the crux of the issue. Chester shouts this record instead of screaming. From FM it is evident his voice is still in a good shape and in fact I would say FM is probably the best singing Chester has ever done,as he basically carries the song. But on other songs he mostly just shouts when there is no need to. Now we have to wonder is this because Chester can't hit those notes or did Mike and Brad done fucked up and just wanted Chester screaming and shouting all the time to have the "in your face, visceral record". Because a lot of the stuff on this album sounds like LP trying to be heavy and hard hitting but ultimately not understanding what makes a heavy song heavy (like all the guitar riffs Brad plays that ultimately lead nowhere or return to angsty lyrics). I honestly think they need a producer because it is pretty clear that they can't yet polish their songs.

BrandonR24

BrandonR24 Well-Known Member

I dig it. It's raw, it's powerful, and no effects are plastered all over it. Seriously you think the live performances have been weak? Hm. Guess it's personal opinions, but I think Chaz is on it on this cycle so far!

mastae

mastae Some Honky

KTTK screams sound like Chester channeling Ministry with the vocal edits, and I fucking love it.

tripleh3lix

tripleh3lix Well-Known Member

It's not even about that for me, it's about the punk vibes. I can't hear some of his vocals near the end of ALITS. However you're right, it will translate into something FANTASTIC live.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Listen to the LT and ATS acapella and THEN tell me there aren't any studio editing on those records.
    LT vocals are full of pitch correction and ATS has loads of effects on the vocals for the majority of the record.

I really like the vocals for this record.
    The voice crack in KTTK is fucking awesome - really is one of the factors why it is my favorite song from the record.
    I feel like in Watelands and ALITS the fact that it needed to be "raw" and "visceral" kind of ruined the performance of the choruses.
    The first time the chorus kicks in ALITS it just feels so out of place and forced.
    But overall I enjoy the vocals on this record.

outcastboy

i already listened to the acapella, pitch correction is different of what was done in HT and meteora, songs like Faint or dont stay are IMPOSSIBLE to perform live exactly like the studio. ATS and LT are as edited as any other album released on the last 5 years, listen to The Messenger, Ill Be Gone or Powerless, and tell me that thats not chester natural voice. on this album there's as much effects as ATS. on KTTK, War and UIG its pretty easy to tell

the crack in KTTK is cool to me. but it's a crack, its not intentional thats what bother me

well, he has never struggled this much to hit high notes, New divide is sounding like shit, crawling and ALTNC too. other songs like LFY, NMS, IMR are not even performed anymore. he is incredibly thin and strained sometimes, i cant call his performances this year anything other than bad, or OK at the best

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

If the crack wasn't intentional then why would they decide to keep it in the final version rather than A) edit the hell out of it or B) do another vocal take? Personally I think Chester's vocals throughout the album were 100% intentional and that he delivered on the aggression.

Xero-G

Xero-G Reborn LP Fan, and plan to stay that way.

I personally like Chester's vocals on the majority of THP. I can appreciate the fact that we're hearing his actual voice more so than before. However, some songs on previous albums certainly had the rawness factor in them (Victimized, I'll Be Gone, Wretches and Kings). I guess I would say that he sounds a little bit off on GATS but I think that may have to do with production the band was going for to give this song a more "garage band" feel.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Okay so just because one or two song have little studio editing on each album doesn't mean that the majority of the album isn't heavily studio edited.
    This is compared to THP of cause because compared to the average studio album it is nothing to write home about.
    Just saying THP makes LT sound like Chester was using pitch corrected 50% of the time.

It is still used a lot on Mikes' vocals(you can especially hear that on ALITS which was an ATS demo(see?))

I am not saying the reason that his Vocals was edited was because his voice was weaker. It just fitted the songs.
    Just like the more raw vocal performances fit the songs on THP(well maybe expect Wastelands/ALITS...fuck those choruses)

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I actually like the fact that they didn't use tons of effects on his vocals and that you can hear the "real" Chester. I love the rawness of his vocals on GATS and he sounds beautiful on UIG and FM. The only song I don't like his vocals on is KTTK, but that's just because I'm not really into the kind of screaming he does there.

Michele

same here. I think KTTK is ok , but not more. It just "too" agressive imo.

ALITS is good , though.

outcastboy

a crack CANT be intentional, at least that kind of crack.

mike said:

- The chorus vocal was a stream-of-consciousness vocal (and lyric) by Chester. He didn't write it down, just sang whatever came to mind.

so maybe the chorus was done in only one try, they liked it and leaved it that way. seems very plausible

i get it. but even if all of their albums were edited as hell, we heard chester live a thousand times, even without a mic. saying that he sounds weak on THP because of the raw style is really stupid. no one complained about Final masquerade, yet it is raw and unedited.

and actually BITS, WTCFM, WFTE, Blackout, iridescent, WAK and the messenger are nearly unedited, thats the majority of ATS.
    on LT there is a lot more pitch correction and harmonies on most of the songs. but it's very different from HT and meteora where there's 3 or 4 layers of vocals melted together. on ATS and LT you can discern between each layers and harmonies. his voice is not much different from what it is naturally, or live

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

He sounds annoying in All For Nothing and A Line In The Sand. I like the rest of his vocals though. Hopefully he sings more softly like Mark The Graves, Rebellion and Final Masquerade from now on though.