Linkin Park vs Lana Del Rey

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Jayhov, May 16, 2014.

1. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Downloading music is way worse than it was in 2008.

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Explain?

Are you seriously trying to say Hybrid Theory 2 would sell less than The Hunting Party?

Like I said, it's the album title that would sell. The sheer amount of people who have only listened to their first two albums would stumble upon the album and say "Wow, Hybrid Theory 2? I have to check this out". The album would have a huge backbone to fall under, with so many people clamoring for another HT/M styled album, how could it not be successful?

However, there are two scenarios.

1. The album is widely successful

2. That genre is indeed dead. Nobody wants to listen to In the End 2.0.

I still think there's a market for it. Even songs like Numb continue to get thousands of views every day on YouTube. A modernized version of Hybrid Theory has potential. 1. It's a familiar name. 2. There's thousands wishing for another album like that.

BUT, you are probably right. While I don't think it will bomb, HT is a thing of the past and outside of those still clamoring to the past, how much of a market left is there for something like Hybrid Theory 2?

3. Blake

So when do we get the verdict?

4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

The Billboard results are in Friday. The Hunting Party debuted at #2 in UK and #3 in Australia.

5. Blake

I thought they came in today? At least for US?

Shows what I know, I never pay attention to charts even when it comes to LP normally. If it wasn't for this thread id be oblivious.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. TheLPStanFan

TheLPStanFan Well-Known Member

The official sales numbers will be out Wednesday.

7. Blake

Good to hear.

I thought LP would do #2 but its looking like #3.

Apparently THP was #1 in Germany

8. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

No Surprise to me. Germany is a big Linkin Park lover country and THP get good reviews here.

9. Hans Muster

Hans Muster Well-Known Member

Let's take a look at Norway

Hybrid Theory: #5
    Meteora: #1
    Minutes to Midnight: #1
    A Thousand Suns: #4
    Living Things: #3
    The Hunting Party: #13

---

Interestingly though, in Netherlands and Finland, LT was on #1 while both ATS and THP were way behind.

10. ChazyChaz92

ChazyChaz92 Well-Known Member

Final Masquerade didnt get any promotion but it do so fucking good on the charts for that fact. The song charted in much more countries than UIG or GATS. So, it would have been interest to see, how THP would have charted, if FM and Rebellion were the lead singles....

11. Michele

Well Germany is how always #1, there has to be something wrong with the other countries :leo:

12. ChazyChaz92

ChazyChaz92 Well-Known Member

Germany is a stronghold for LP. Everbody talks about THP. In our rock stations i hear every day GATS and UIG. Germany loves the band. Its time to get the US market back with LP7 ;P

13. Michele

Well also Forums where LP wasnt that nice to talk about people start to :worship: for THP :lol:

14. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'm not implying it's some mythical, ancient time. I'm just stating that it was some time ago and things have notably changed. Lady Gaga did come out in 2008, yes, but I wouldn't call what she released then what's very popular now. Granted, she's still very famous - but I would also remark that she's been successful being very different than most pop artists. I suppose she's an exception when it comes to the mainstream. I would argue Linkin Park was the same way - they weren't poppy. I would argue that more of Minutes to Midnight might fall under that then Meteora does.

Good Charlotte - I can see your argument for them being poppy. Their music certainly had the upbeat-ness of the time. I see your points regarding Slipknot and A7X and they're valid. I wouldn't say that I'm exaggerating the effect of the shift. Although, I think it's more notable to say that downloading music has become more prominent and likely demonstrates a much greater reason for lower album sales than a shift in the mainstream genre.

15. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

16. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I just wonder what this means for Linkin Park and Warner. Warner has generally continued to treat Linkin Park like one of their most valuable acts despite declining sales. If their new album debuts at #3, and probably drops off the charts really quick, how does that change Warner's marketing/treatment of the band?

17. Faker

Faker Well-Known Member

I don't know but a thousand suns sold 241k living things sold 220k not a big diffrence but the hunting party sold only 90k it was an easy first place but screw this where are the fans who wanted old linkin park ?

18. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I don't think it matters. LP and Black Keys are Warner's most successful rock acts, so they don't really mind. It was a miracle for me that Warner even allowed THP to be released.

19. Blake

20. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Nah. The band still remains one of the biggest worldwide. Plus, they earn so much from concerts and other stuff. If LP had released THP before LT, it probably would have sold a lot more. I think LT ruined some opinions about LP.
    Coldplay also experienced a decline of about 60k with Ghost Stories compared to Mylo Xyloto. Given how the general opinion from casual listeners about this new album is "average" or "poor", I believe the next album will be a bigger drop in numbers.

LP is about 24k behind Sam Smith. I wonder if there are chances that THP can sell a bit over 120k to maybe 130-140k while Sam touches 160k.