Why do most people dislike Meteora?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by limonpower, Jun 13, 2014.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

i agree with this, these song are really similar, i only disagree about ITE/BTH because i hate ITE and love BTH, so i don't see much in common in them

With You/Lying from you
    Points of Authority/Hit the Floor
    Crawling/Easier to Run
    By Myself/Figure.09
    A Place for My Head/From the Inside
    Pushing Me Away/Numb

Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

A lot of people see it as Hybrid Theory 2.0, which it basically is. Though, as others have said, I see it as the band trying to establish their sound to prove they aren't a fluke.

Personally, I loved it. It's slightly more refined and polished in comparison to Hybrid Theory, but it isn't quite as fresh as that was. It would have been incredibly difficult to top their first effort. I like the riffs, the masterful scratching, and even the lyrics. They connect to me on many levels. Most of the album was great, with many stand-out tracks such as Somewhere I Belong, Faint, Easier to Run, Breaking the Habit, Numb...The whole thing was enjoyable. The only tracks I'm not super high on are Hit the Floor and Nobody's Listening, although at the same time I appreciate those songs because they were fairly unique compared to the rest of the album.

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the replies! Sorry I was inactive for a week, I was on vacation with no WiFi or cell service.

I actually have been writing lyrics to a few of the Meteora demos for this purpose (and because I want to write music but can't play any instruments lol)

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Of course, I think it's all been said - but from my observation it was in large part because it was a clearly watered down version of Hybrid Theory. It didn't have the same energy, and there were some clearly mirrored song structures and styles. Granted, I think they sold well for that reason coming off such a successful debut, but a lot of fans don't look at Meteora with the kind of love that other albums have.

Personally for me, I love Meteora. It was the first Linkin Park album that I physically bought, and it was the album that put me in love with the band in the first place. Is it the best album they've put out? No, but the nostalgia it carries for me goes a long way. I do understand why people don't appreciate it as much, though - and I think the dislike for it is reasonable. Quality-wise - it just wasn't as strong as other albums the band has put out.

DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

What Meteora did was cripple the band on a technical level by ensuring that people recognized them first and foremost for their nu-metal power chord crunch and childishly stupid, directionless lyrics - both of which were great for some fist-pumping fuck-you-whoever-I'm-currently-hating rage, both of which dissolve pretty quickly and leave the album as a tasteless pasty grue. Props to them for finding such success with such pandering material, but thank God they at least tried to move on. I'll take an intermittently clever and ambitious band over one that repeats itself ad vomiteum.

The premise that they needed the album to solidify their success is absurd, as every album they've since produced always offers a few key radio-rock-ready hook-laden head-bangers that hearken back to Hybrid Theory's shiny poppy victories.

limonpower

limonpower Well-Known Member

leftshoe18

leftshoe18 Well-Known Member

There aren't as many Meteora remix files (instrumentals, acapellas, etc.) as there are for Hybrid Theory. Anyway, I already did

this.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Because songs like Numb.

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

well songs 'sound' similar and also have a similar structure to hybrid theory, and the lyrics on some of the songs are horrible, eg somewhere i belong, faint(chorus),from the inside .. and easier to run is well just, boring.

but i do like to listen to it for something like nobody's listening and session , which are the stand-out songs imo ..

numb, lying from you and breaking the habit are great live and when i'm high :D :p

violentrl

violentrl Member

I certainly don't. It's hell of a lot better than anything they put out afterwards imo

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

I don't dislike it. I have loved everything they have put out overall.

M&M

M&M Banned

I think most people dislike Meteora because it wasn't very original since it was almost a carbon copy of Hybrid Theory. The band themselves have referred to the album as ''Hybrid Theory Part 2''. I happen to love Meteora but I wouldn't say it is their best work at all. I have seen a lot of people that are unhappy with the lyrics on Meteora as well.

cloudscream

cloudscream Static

It was during that period when Linkin Park became officially uncool, and the fanbase wanted no part of that.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Eh, I don't think that that's the case. In 2003, "Numb" was about as successful and as well-liked by mainstream audiences as "In The End" had been a couple of years earlier

Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

I love Meteora, it takes the least amount of effort to listen to those tracks. Tracks like From the Inside and Breaking the Habit and even Session have that touch and polish of class which rendered the laughable sequel that was Minutes to Midnight as well, laughable.

lepetitpote

lepetitpote my presence is a present kiss my ass

i have no problem with meteora at all, and consider it my favourite album by the band. i loved it when my brother first bought the album and blasted that shit in the stereo in the room we shared, i loved it when i was in the midst of my angsty teenage years and i love it now that i've grown up and developed a mature perspective on musical artistry and horizons. i have no shame to admit meteora helped raise a part of me when i was younger, i thought it was the shizznizz. i'm not gonna let that opinion change nowadays just because i've matured. hell, while i joke with my friends about teenage angst in rock music and how old linkin park invoked that attitude, i still love it and will cherish the possession of my physical copy forever