The Love/Hate for Mark the Graves.

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Sonic, Jul 3, 2014.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I've seen a lot of hate for this track and I don't understand why. The few that love it feel it's possibly the best song on the record so there really is no middly ground about this song, it seems.

What's you opinion of the track? I personally love it, simple message with great instrumentation. It's long and Drawbar compliments it well, making it feel like a high 8-minute song.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Boring.

At first i HATED this song because of the weird structure, now i am OK with it. Its boring to me. I dont skip it that often, but its the worst song on THP imo. All the other songs (including UIG and Wastelands) i can enjoy in someway. Just MTG not.

The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I like the irregular structure and the lack of lyrics. It lets the instruments shine. It's one of the few tracks that instantly got me (even ALITS was a grower for me).

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

The song drags, and it doesn't seem to captivate me. The moment I heard the album full, I knew Mark The Graves would be an average track that I'd probably end up skipping most of the time. The only parts I really like from the track are Mike's silent countdown after the intro, and the bridge with Chester singing calmly. Other than that, nothing special. The strange structure would normally be a bonus for a song by LP, but in this case, it just doesn't work well.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

It's the best on the album, in my opinion. Such a great song instrumentally, completely caught me by surprise. His singing is perfect, and the final choruses are amazing.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Mark The Graves feels like the band sat down together and just jammed hardcore and this was the result. It's easily one of the best songs on the album. The lyrics and vocal performance are magical and the stark contrast between the heavy riffs and the softer atmosphere is incredible. The last minute or so of the track is beyond brilliant.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I love the vocals on this song. Chester sounds so good.

A question though...at the "No trace of what remains" line, is that where Mike's voice becomes layered with Chester's? They sound so similar I thought it was just Chester layered on Chester.

I can definitely hear Mike in the chorus though.

Oh...and the end of the song is almost as epic as the last little bit of ALITS.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's middle-ground to me. There are things to like about it but there are other songs that feel more exciting in different ways. It's not quite as heavy or aggressive as, say, "Keys To The Kingdom", but it's also not as listener-friendly as "Until It's Gone" or "Final Masquerade".

For Linkin Park, it shows an interesting approach to doing a song in a major key, which is the main thing that I like about it. :) And I also think that "no stones to mark the graves" is a good lyric/image

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Love it. I can usually understand the hate for most songs, but not for MTG. Some criticize the lack of lyrics (though it makes up for it with quality), but it really does let the great instrumentation shine. The song just keeps switching between heavy and soft, but in a way that flows really well imo. I consider it one of LP's best.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Love it. A great song instrumentally, and the vocal work is good too. I love it when this band tackles on more non-standard song structures. It makes the song infinity more interesting than anything else off of THP. The whole "Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus" structure has been pounded into our faces way too much. It's nice to hear them change it up.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Anybody who doesn't like Mark the Graves sniffs their mom's socks!

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I love it -- For the reasons stated above by the pro MTG clan.

It's a proper rock jam in every sense of the word, and reminds me of a favourite band of mine "And so I watch You From Afar"

[video=youtube_share;W7taYDCTnRw]http://youtu.be/W7taYDCTnRw[/video]

An instrumental 4 piece who make even more crazier stuff like MTG with intricate riffing, random time changes and unusual song structures. And just like ASIWYFA the reason I love MTG is how unpredictable it is.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Aden

Aden Well-Known Member

I love it. It's a grower for sure, but once you like it, it's just awesome. There isn't one boring moment during the song -- there's so much going on!

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

I love the structure. Two solos. Great vocals and lyrics. Fib to listen to and play along to.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I need to check out more by these guys!

I feel obligated to add to this instrumental madness.

[video=youtube;1mwgv7WjPK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mwgv7WjPK4[/video]

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

It's a great song, I love it. I doesn't drag, there's some interesting instrumental bits and the 'weird' structure is just fine.

Also, dat distorted bass.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the ending feels rushed even if the song is already six minutes long. All they had to do was repeat the very last riff another time.

BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

You are right, people seem to love or hate Mark The Graves, personally I'm not a fan of it I just find it kind of boring. If you look at the poll "Favourite THP track" Mark the Graves has the fourth most votes for favourite track on THP (19). But a few days ago I made a thread "Least Favourite song on The Hunting Party" and Mark The Graves so far has the most votes for Least favourite song on the record.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

"Mark the Graves" is probably tied with "A Line in the Sand" as my favorite song on the record.

Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

Best song on the record :)

3DU4RDO

3DU4RDO Burning in the Skies

Boring. Tied with AFN as the worst song on the album.