"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Typo? I just really love the gooey atmosphere of the song :shifty:

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

This thread is a great idea. The bridge of With You is one of the coolest moments in LP's discography.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"With You" is the song that I'd consider to be my favourite on "Hybrid Theory". My favourite things about it are the guitar line in the verses and the synth samples laced throughout the beat. "No matter how far we've come / I can't wait to see tomorrow" has always sounded strangely optimistic in the context of the album as a whole.

It's a fan-favourite live and I've never really figured out why but, since I like the song, that's cool with me. :rolleyes:

For a while, I was a little disappointed by the rmx on "Reanimation" because I felt that, unlike some of the other remixes, it didn't stray far enough from the original song. Now, I just think that it's great as it is.

Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

A great song and the remix is awesome, especially since they made alterations for parts and re-recorded vocals. Along with songs like Forgotten, Somewhere I belong, and ALITS, this is another one of the songs where the band is on display through multiple instruments. That isn't the best wording of it but you guys get my point.

Side note: if you play the guitar chords of WFTE and sing the chorus (i.e. singing "it's true the way I feel" when the music is at "I know what it takes to move on"), it is a thousand times more emotional with that chord structure. Try it and see.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

i noticed that during a recent listen too. it really sticks closely to the original but i really dig how it's been 'buffed up'.

edit: also once again, thanks for participating all. really cool reading all these different opinions.

heshXxX

heshXxX Member

I fucking love With You. It's on my favorite LP album and is one of the best songs the band has ever wrote. The atmosphere in the background creates the whole song. Chesters growling but soothing chorus delivery is immensely chilling. The guitar chords are powerful but not overwhelming. Oh and lets not forget Shinodas lyrical paint, splattering the canvas. This song is good.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

He really used to be excellent at this style of writing, this song and Forgotten being some excellent examples of this. I really do love it, and it's one of the things that gives With You REAL atmosphere.

heshXxX

heshXxX Member

Right and nowadays his style is more straightforward.

minuteforce

I don't know if that's what they were getting at ... but, then, I have no idea how this "Hybrid Theory" rapping "style" is distinguished at all.

As far as I'm concerned, Shinoda's rhyme patterns have become that little more complex over the past decade or so since "Hybrid Theory".

EDIT: anyway, I feel that "With You" is an example of Shinoda's rapping really working for a song on those earlier albums.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Yeah, indeed this thread is great, and it's awesome to read everyone's own opinion and "experience" with each song.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

With You is the best song on Hybrid Theory.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Here's an idea: how about we split this into 6 threads, one for each album? That way there wouldn't be as many threads as there would be if we made a thread for each song, but it would be nicely organized and easier to follow.

minuteforce

When we get through one album, we can close the thread and start a new thread for another album. How about that?

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Precisely what I thought.

heshXxX

heshXxX Member

There are only 3 songs on Hybrid Theory where Shinoda is a painter. With You, By Myself and Forgotten. These songs are the only ones where you can trace the lyrical strength and detail back to the same quality of lyrics written for Hybrid Theory EP. All the other songs on Hybrid Theory were lyricaly dumbed down to be more accessible and understanding for the masses.

Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Mmkay, you too meet and talk for a big, I think Hesh has this.
    What I think we are talking about is how Mike wrote those songs in such a way that they paint a scene in your mind, they aren't just meaningless threats and anti-industry lines like he writes now, they really played a movie out in your head (I woke up in a dream today, to the cold of the static and put my cold feet on the floor). While the rhyme pattern and the pacing may not be quite as smooth as he writes today, the way that he establishes the scene in your mind and builds a story like this has been long lost in his more recent work. Now he seems to just be obsessed about how he's awesome and the record companies suck... Which, I will admit, he did like to write about a lot in the past as well, but this shows that he can do so much more.

heshXxX

heshXxX Member

Exactly

Vic

Vic No game no life

With You is one good song, the thing I most enjoy about it are Mr. Hahn scratchs in the opening riff and the bridge. Also the song is very catchy and the voice of Chester in the bridge is absolutely amazing.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Shall we move on?

20. Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

With You is probably the only LP song that I don't skip through at one point or another. It's just so awesome. And this:

[video=youtube_share;o9_qdXs25ig]http://youtu.be/o9_qdXs25ig[/video]

The intro>>>