One Month After (and counting)... Thoughts about "The Hunting Party"?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by 3DU4RDO, Jul 19, 2014.

?

Rate THP One Month After

1. Masterpiece

17 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Very Good !

56 vote(s)
    51.9%
  3. It could have been better, but it's still good I guess

23 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Average Album

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Mediocre Album

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
    NimaLP

NimaLP LP Persian Soldier

I still enjoy it, but it's still not as good as Hybrid Theory.

Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

Right now it's my favorite LP album.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Vic

Vic No game no life

I still enjoy it and still my second fav LP's album.

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

It's tied for my favorite album with ATS, but I still have a few gripes with it. I voted "Very Good!"

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This. Linkin Park, please do a 180°.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Can't agree, I'd like to see them stick with it but add more of the ATS elements to it, and finally give us something like the "original Reanimation" I've wanted for years.

lovablepanda

lovablepanda Well-Known Member

Honestly if they did, it would be so amazing!!!!!!!!!1

SeLDfC

SeLDfC Well-Known Member

I love it!!!
    With the time I started to like some songs even more than when it came out like Wastelands and Final Masquarade!!!!

3DU4RDO

3DU4RDO Burning in the Skies

Honestly, everytime I listen to the album, I like it a little less than the last time. It's not an innovating album, so you can get bored easily. Also, there's a lot of details that don't let me enjoy it properly.

It's a good album, but it could have been better.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

What exactly is the difference between "It could have been better, but it's still good I guess", "Average" and "Mediocre"? :lol: And why isn't there a negative choice in the poll?

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Because LP is the best band ever, they do no wrong! :samuel: :)kappa:)

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

THIS!

Gibs

Notice the kappa :lol: It's sarcasm.

3DU4RDO

3DU4RDO Burning in the Skies

Mediocre?

Mediocre = Bad

I think it's clear it's a poll with a rate between 1 and 5.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

It's average to me. The album needs... A bit more variety, I think.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

God damn it Gibs, you've been blue 5 fucking minutes and you're tormenting the noobs! What the fuck breh?

Gibs

I've been tormenting noobs even before I was blue :lol: Boring, notting new.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

It totally lived up to the hype for me, but I felt the album as a whole could've been taken a lot further. 'Guilty All The Same', 'A Line In The Sand', and 'Final Masquerade' are definite highlights for me.

Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

my opinion remains the same. this album has zero replay value and I haven't listened to it in a month. my least favorite LP release. strike 2 for these guys. one more like this and I will lose interest.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Put it this way, I haven't listened to it in weeks and I have no plans on listening to it again anytime in the future. Initially there were a few tracks I really enjoyed (Keys to the Kingdom, All for Nothing, and War), but after the initial "newness" of the album wore off I simply didn't feel the need to listen to it anymore. This and "Living Things" are the only two Linkin Park albums that I can say have little replay value to me. I don't know what's going on, but I lost interest in their last two releases extremely fast, yet I still continue to listen to all of their other albums to this day. Although, it should be noted that I am not a fan of electronic/synths and I do prefer the "experimental" side of Linkin Park. These last two albums didn't appeal to me in particular because of those reasons and is probably why I lost interest in them so quickly.

Something about this album feels hollow to me, despite being their "heaviest" to date I didn't get the same energy and feeling I got when I listened to "Minutes to Midnight" and "A Thousand Suns". It's a pretty straightforward rock album, and aside from the closing track it lacked the depth that "A Thousand Suns" had. Perhaps the faults I see in the album are from me comparing it to the likes of their past albums, I suppose it's not trying to be like those. I should look at it for what it is, a hard rock album created at a time when the genre was "watered down" and not what it used to be. While I respect them for making this album because they felt the genre was not what it should be, I'd have to disagree with that. Music in general has a natural progression over time, whether it's for the better or for the worst, it's just how it is. Hard rock simply isn't what's popular now days, they knew this going in and it's why it's their least successful album to date. They made a respectable effort at trying to recapture what it once was and that was the entire purpose of the album, but I feel like it wasn't needed. Rather than trying to start something that not many will follow in suit, they should have continued building upon their own formula.

Not to mention they way they went about it, Mike in particular has been pretty unprofessional about the whole thing in my opinion. I can understand the reason behind this album and the message they're trying to make with it, but bashing other bands was completely unnecessary and not the right way of going about it.

As it currently stands, I'd give it a 7/10. I respect what they made, but it simply wasn't for me. I'm hoping they'll completely ditch this style and give me something completely unexpected. Which, knowing them it will be something entirely new. My current rankings are Minutes to Midnight = A Thousand Suns > Hybrid Theory > Meteora > The Hunting Party > Living Things.

TL;DR: While I respect the message they were trying to make with the album, I felt it wasn't needed. It's a solid album, but it lacks depth and I feel their last two albums have been a step back from the formula of "A Thousand Suns" of which I felt was perfect.