"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

YES. THANK YOU.

2. Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

I'm a little late, but I'd like to comment on "Don't Stay". It's the most criminally underrated LP song. No idea why some hate it so much. It's very aggressive, has some excellent scratching and guitar, and the breakdown is absolutely insane. Pure energy. 10/10.

"Somewhere I Belong" is one of the best LP tracks to date. The lyrics in the breakdown could have been reworked to make it more interesting, but overall it's still a masterpiece. Love that drum line. Also, what's so bad about the chorus lyrics?

I wanna heal / I wanna feel
    What I thought was never real
    I wanna let go of the pain I've felt so long
    (Erase all the pain 'til it's gone)
    I wanna heal / I wanna feel
    Like I'm close to something real
    I wanna find something I've wanted all along
    Somewhere I belong

Sure, the repetitive use of "pain" throughout Hybrid Theory and Meteora gets tiring, but overall the lyrics aren't nearly as terrible as everyone says in my opinion. Mike's verses are also great.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

heal/feel/real

dude

heal/feel/real

really

HEAL

FEEL

REAL

4. lime treacle

They're very simple (not saying that is always a bad thing, but here it is) and are about the issues of a 12-year-old.

5. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

The lyrics frustrate me sometimes because I love the concept of the lyrics. And it is not just 12 year-olds that feel that way. There are plenty of people in this world who feel like that don't belong anywhere and believe that they are alone in this world. I know it might be laughable to some, but it is such a crappy feeling to experience. But knowing that are a lot of people in this world who are just like you and that some of them are in a better position now, gives you this feeling of hope (for the lack of a better word) or atleast releases some of your frustration. Whether, it is because Don Gilmore forced them to re-write the lines a million times or not, the lyrics are quite disappointing. But I really find Somewhere I belong, Easier to run and Breaking the Habit a little refreshing compared to general anger in that album.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  6. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

In my opinion, this is a misconception. The word "pain" appears in four out of the eleven or twelve songs on "Meteora" - granted, it appears a good number of times within those four songs - and doesn't actually appear in any of the songs on "Hybrid Theory".

7. lime treacle

True, however this feelings can be expressed in a deeper and more artistic fashion.

8. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

That kinda was my point. Maybe, I didn't phrase it well.

9. heafy

heafy Member

somewhere i belong right? one of the first singles i've ever heard, i was little and watched mtv and as a kid i really liked the video and the flames in it -lol-. growing up i listened to the song carefully and i loved the intro and how it had been developed (like they say in the making of meteora). i love the rap part more than chester's even if its a catchy chorus. mike's part has a really nice beat and i love the words he sings. it's a really good song but not the best one of the whole album.

10. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

these*

Jeez Robert, learn how to spell.

11. Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

Somewhere I Belong! I always loved the reverse synth sound in the intro, leading to the sudden hard guitars and short scratching.
    Mike's rapping durring the verses has always annoyed me on this track, it sounds so chopped up, the rythm don't have that creative flow to it, sounds undone and.. lazy.
    Don't have any complaints about Chester's vocals, i like them. Don't even mind the lyrics, his voice is angry and flows great with the rest, although the note/tone he sings can be a little annoying in the long run. Like Crawling has that one note he sings.
    The song could have had a little more variations, a little more suprising use of vocals.

12. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

"Somewhere I Belong" is the track that got me back into Linkin Park as a kid. I remember first hearing it and watching the music video on YahoO! ArtistDirect (which is still one of their best music videos). It's a song that, while the lyrics aren't wonderful and while the song structure just screams "In the End," I really do like the chord progression and the drums on this track. It's one of the first songs I learned on the drum set because I thought it was fun to play.

I just love the opening sound, with the guitar chords reversed and filtered. I really like it - just the sweeping sound has a very nostalgic effect on me. I thought it was cool that you got to hear the origins of this track on "Frat Party at the Pancake Festival." Solid track for me.

13. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I remember Chester saying back in like 2009 that they had to stop playing this song live because they'd played so many times that they actually got bored of it lol

14. Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

What's the problem? Sure they're pretty simple, one syllable rhymes; but Linkin Park isn't exactly known for having a complex rhyme scheme.

12 year olds are the only ones who have issues with finding their place in life, and finding a place where they're accepted?

15. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Well, it is kind of a time where, with puberty and all, people are still trying to figure out their identities

16. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

Somewhere I Belong, I loved this song when I was younger.The lyrics, they are some of the cheesiest lyrics Linkin Park has ever made. But you can't deny how catchy this song is, and when I'm in the mood, I still can really enjoy this song.

17. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

WHAT!! For more than 10 years I thought the Lyrics said "I wanna let you walk the pain I've felt so long". I kinda Like it better that way, maybe just because I'm use to it tho.

18. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Opinions can't change, ever. Nobody is allowed to grow up. Nobody is allowed to evolve as a person! It's totally impossible. Totally.

19. Orion

Orion New Member

Somewhere I Belong is one of the songs from Meteora that I think gives a good idea of the atmosphere that album has, as people have stated it is different from Hybrid Theory, but not a drastic change. I think this along with a few others shows the darker feel (sound-wise of course, not necessarily lyrically) that's in Meteora.

20. UltimateLegend

UltimateLegend Well-Known Member

I don't like Somewhere I Belong all that much. The lyrics are definitely what drags it down the most, but I also find the instrumentation uninteresting in the chorus. Then again, the chorus in general is pretty bad. Verses are somewhat interesting, at least.