"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Paree

Paree I love my scars!

Ok we are done with LFM.Next song HTF.
    Its not their best but its not their worst too.Its lyrics are somewhat aggressive and its somewhat similar to OSC with some great screams.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  2. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Wait ... are those "too many" lines in the verses on playback? Doesn't sound like Chester to me

EDIT: okay, it is Chester. Never mind.

3. BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I had no idea that live video existed. I used to really like this song, I can still get into it, but it's on the lower half of my meteora ranking and lower half of my entire LP rankings. Definitely unique though, the screams make it seem like one of the heaviest songs, but the beat inspires more "bouncing" than headbanging I think.

4. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I remember on a Q&A on MTV just after the release of ATS - one of the questions was "has there ever been a moment where after you've released a record, you've realised 'wow...we're not gonna be able to do this live night after night without killing Chester?'" and straight away CB replies "hit the floor!"

he also said something along the lines of if he tried to do the 17 second scream in Given Up halfway through a show, he'd probably pass out :lol:

5. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

with Easier To RUn the songs i really care not much on Meteora...

Its an ok song, not more.

Captain-EO likes this.
  6. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

In honesty, "Hit the Floor" was one of my early favorites on the record. Obviously, it's not a song that I think the band likes to perform live (or will ever perform live again). I don't really know why it gets as much hate as it does. It's certainly not the best song the band has ever done, but I also really like the contrast of the softness of the verses to just how loud the chorus becomes. I like the dark sound of Mike's voice on this song, and I really just like how aggressive Chester screams. The song presents this cool contrast and I can't seem to get over it, even 10-11 years later.

It's very simple, and albeit very repetitive, but I don't think it's bad. There are certainly worse songs on Meteora​.

7. The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

Easier to Run is one of the highlights of the album and one of the band's best tracks. It has a grandiose, emotive feel which just draws you in.

8. minuteforce

I think the band did some interesting things on this song; combining Chester's screaming and Shinoda's rapping in the chorus and using syncopation in the rhythms. Like "Lying From You", it might not be the most interesting song by the band but there isn't any one thing that I could point to as a major flaw.

I'll never really understand why "Hit The Floor" was not a hit live, aside from the fact that it wasn't a single. It has many of the elements that make "Papercut" a fun song, and a chorus full of screaming to boot ... but, yet, by all accounts, the song was an utter failure when taken to the stage.

9. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Besides the intro of this song that sounds very dark and moody, I really can't stand this song.
    The lyrics are arguable some of the worst found on a LP album with stupid lines as:
    "So many people like me walk on eggshells all day long
    All I know is that all I want is to feel like I’m not stepped on"

- When I rap I talk about the pain inside, the problems you would have back in junior high.

Especially the lyrics in the chorus seem to represent some kind of fight between two people that are divided by - yes you guessed it - lies.

A song that honestly feels like LP parodying themselves(and now i rap a little here)

If I have to say something positive:
    - I like the vocal effect on Mike in the verses
    - The bridge wasn't the typical screamed part

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  10. Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

Love the intro, and instrumental track. It's heavy and moody. The chorus has to be one of my favorites from LP.

Only gripe I have are some of the lyrics. They're repetitive.

"What goes up will surely fall and I’m counting down the time" - this is a great line, but it's rehashed in the breakdown.
    "But what goes up has got to fall"

11. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

I actually just listedned to it before i came to this thread. The song is decent, but not a standout song. Maybe if they had performed it live for a little while longer they would have found an easier way to do it and it wouldn't be locked away forever (looking at you, ALTNC).

Sidenote: that video is actually fanmade. There's only one known recording of them performing it live on tape.

12. Paree

Paree I love my scars!

I actually just searched for HTF in Youtube and posted the video which i got.

13. Paree

Paree I love my scars!

OK Lets move on to the next song(if no regrets)

This is an awesome song.It makes me cry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2016
  14. Shining

Shining New Member

Hmmm

Lying From You:
    Well it's a good song got a melodic feeling even though it's heavy.... but together with the next song is one of my least favorite songs...

Hit the Floor:
    It just sound the same as the previous song, I think it got a kind of "badass person" feeling, but it's a track that I may skip while listening to Meteora........

Easier to Run:
    Now we're talking!!! Man, this song, together with SIB always made me feel sad and Chester sings in an eargasmic way on the chorus, there's that live performance "live on Worcester" that he sings perfectly....
    By the way I also like that link with "Faint" at the end of the song.... so it's one of my Meteora favorites!!!!! :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  15. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I think you should leave at least two days for one song, dude.

16. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Not for Hit The Floor and Easier to Run :kappa:

dont know why , but these songs are the ones, i like the least on Meteora...

Captain-EO likes this.
  17. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

The thing I love about ETR is that the lyrics have a huge level of simplicity, yet still deliver a powerful message.

18. minuteforce

Fuck you all. We'll move on right now 'cause ... no reason. We're up to "Faint" now!

[YOUTUBE]LYU-8IFcDPw[/YOUTUBE]​

/s but, seriously, give people more time pls

19. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Yes. It's supposed to be at least two (or just two) days. Not many people are free enough to be here all day, I look at it not as "two days to do enough discussion" but as "two days to give more people the chance to put in their thoughts". I will talk about Hit the Floor, since it's what I came here to do anyway.

Again, this is a song that's very easy and enjoyable to play on guitar and one that I like to do, the riff is repetitive but I like the way it works within the song. It's not the best on Meteora or one that I think of right away when speaking about the album but it's not a song that I skip either, I don't skip that many LP songs anyway.

The way Mike delivers his verse here is kinda different from the rest of the songs he's done before, like the softness but at the same time it has a bit of speed. Chester's screams are great (I'm talking about sound here) and the sung "it's all gone.." is like bringing a pinch of color to a black and white painting, verses and chorus don't really have musical melody so that little part tweaks the song a bit.

20. Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

:rofl: