Minutes To Midnight

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by BIBBLE, Jul 21, 2014.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Easy there, kid. Make sure you read our forum rules next time so you know that we don't allow for homophobic slurs on our forums. ;)

BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

Sorry won't happen again, dawg.

Vic

Vic No game no life

Amazing album, imo it has the best mix in the overall LP discography. You can clearly listen to all instruments and takes no effort. Highlights for me are What I've Done, In Pieces and The Little Things Give You Away.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

It's my personal favorite Linkin Park album and one of my favorite albums, period. I could write multiple reasons why, but several users here already stating some of the reasons that I agree with that make it my favorite. Plus I'm a bit too tired at the moment.

Aden

Aden Well-Known Member

MTM was the first complete LP album I bought and the album that got me into them. However, I rarely listen to it these days. LP has never really been an "album band" (aside from ATS) and I just the album as a whole sounds too safe and too radio friendly. Given Up is still one of my favorite LP songs, Shadow of the Day sounds more complex and emotional each time you hear it, and Bleed It Out is pretty cool, but other then that the best the tracks get are just "pretty good". I liked many more at first, like NMS, IP, LOATR (really hate that song now), and IB, but I'm just bored of all those tracks.

Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Minutes To Midnight: General Discussion

This seems to be LP's least popular album.
    Why?
    I think it may be because of Hands Held High and In Between. My 19 year old brother hates Hands Held High, unlike every other song on it. I hate In Between, not as much a War but it just goes on and on with the same boring vocals, and the intro with the low pitched instrument sounds awful in my opinion. I have also seen somebody say Hands Held High was their biggest disappointment by Linkin Park.
    But, there is one song that just makes up for everything for me anyway:
    No More Sorrow. I don't know why I love it so much but it is my favourite song in LP and it captured me the first time I heard it on YouTube.
    Little Things Give You Away has the most legendary guitar solo, and great overlapping vocals in that part, and on Stereo (opposite of Mono) 'All you've ever wanted' comes out of one speaker while 'Little things give you away' comes out of the other, the whoa-ah-whoa bit coming out of both as a background vocal.
    I like In Pieces more than LTGYA though, it's my favourite soft song in MTM.
    Wake is a great intro, but sometimes I cannot hear anything until the louder bit, but only when I'm listening to my music player in the car or at school in a noisy area.
    Shadow Of The Day is the 2nd saddest song in LP.
    Leave Out All The Rest has meaningful lyrics, and I love them.
    And... oh yeah, Bleed It Out is an amazing rap song and the chorus is one of the best loud choruses in LP.
    Valentines Day? The lyrics are sad, and also poor: 'And the clouds above move closer, looking so dissatisfied' what is that an example of Lakitu in Super Mario?!

American_Idiot07

American_Idiot07 Member

I love M2M. It's my 3rd favorite album from them and it is way underrated. I didn't like it at first but it grew on me over the years. No More Sorrow and In Pieces are my favorites off this album. I would love them to make another album similiar to this one again, but with a bit more electronics to it.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

You've certainly had your finger on the pulse when it comes to the Linkin Park fanbase. :rolleyes:

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I'll take In Between over most of this album.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

This album is good, but takes a few listens to get into, ESPECIALLY if at the time you were very much used to their nu-metal sound. I remember hating In Between for the fact that it was boring with no good hook. Even to this day I still kind of view it as such, but it has settled down and I won't skip it if the song comes up on my playlist.

Having always been into LP's heavier songs, it took me a VERY long time to get into SOTD (About 5-6 years) for the same reason as In Between. To this day I still don't care for TLTGYA, a boring 6 minute track of boredom that puts me to sleep, but the album as a whole does have tracks that cater to both hard rock fan bases and lovers of rock ballads with many standouts.

Something that stands out is the fact that this was the first LP album to have an almost raw feel with fresh vocals from Chester and Mike, possibly the best they have done, demonstrating a more melodic side to Linkin Park as a whole.

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

The little things give you away - :worship:

NimaLP

NimaLP LP Persian Soldier

MTM is my second favorite album after Hybrid Theory. I think its songs are really awesome. It's great when you want to stay away from those loud crazy heavy stuff. I'd rather listen to MTM when I'm alone and everywhere is silent so I can focus on the songs and the lyrics and relax. I learned a lot from MTM's lyrics.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

There was actually a thread discussing Minutes to Midnight quite recently...

*embarks upon a quest*

*finds it*

Here it is.

minuteforce

Beautiful - merged. :)

Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

Minutes to Midnight got old for me. Coming off Hybrid Theory and Meteora, this album didn't make much sense. They ditched a lot of what made them great and settled with a more generic and plain sound with this album. Most of the songs were good, but mostly not up-to-par with the rest of their discography. By no means do I hate the album. It's good, just could have been better.

"The Little Things Give You Away", "Leave Out All the Rest", "Bleed It Out", and "Shadow of the Day" are the standout tracks.

Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Hello? No More Sorrow.

minuteforce

The only reason you could call "Midnight" "generic" and "plain" is that there were other bands doing similar things at that time, I think.

"Midnight" should only really be viewed in the context of the band's discography, where it was merely the result of Linkin Park going in as many different stylistic directions as possible (except for early-2000s nu-metal). It's clearly something that they made almost without any kind of regard for the then-current music climate ... except for the fact that nu-metal was no longer in. :p

Rivendare

Like I said, I like most the songs. The only song that I think is terrible is "Hands Held High". The rest I can listen to. "No More Sorrow" is one of the better songs, and is one I really enjoy, but it doesn't stand out to me as much as the ones I mentioned.

OH I also forgot to mention "Wake". Love that track as the intro. One of my favorites.

Fair enough. It's just a little disappointing for Minutes to Midnight to sound so different coming off two albums that really cemented their sound. "Underwhelming" would be the worst I would use to describe it. Again it isn't bad by any means. Just doesn't quite live up to what I'd expect.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Rivendare

I completely forgot about "No Roads Left". It may be my favorite song on Minutes to Midnight. No idea why it didn't make the album. That bumps the album up a few pegs in my book if you include it

minuteforce

To me, that's really the very best thing about it. It doesn't sound like "Meteora" and it doesn't like what people expected from the band. It's in the context of the band's discography that "Minutes To Midnight" is best appreciated. :) It was the first album where the band took such a bold risk.

If you disregard that aspect of the album and you just look at it as a rock or alternative album that was released in 2007, then, sure, it's underwhelming. :rolleyes: