"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

As far as "Faint" is concerned, it is one of my favorite songs off of Meteora. In truth, it was the song that inspired me to learn how to play drum set. I appreciate that it is so upbeat and doesn't really lose steam at any point. It's a very simple song, with a clear structure - and sure, the lyrics aren't mind-blowing - but it's definitely a fun song. I can appreciate it.

The strings in the beginning are a really nice way to kick it off, and for whatever reason in this song, Chester's growl in his vocals just gets me. The harmony between Mike and Chester at the very end is something I enjoy a lot as well.

It's just a good song, really. It's not amazing, but I think it's a song that stands the test of time for the band and is just very likeable. :)

2. Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

I really wish Faint had kept the kind of party-ish vibe the demo seen on LPU9 had.

3. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Faint" is a whiplash of a song and is clearly one of Meteora's best tracks. The lyrics may be as whiny as usual, but it's delivered perfectly with the tone of the song. It has a great intro and scream bridge. It's simple, fast and effective. It's fantastic live, too.

4. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Faint has aged well, becoming a classic on a mediocre album and is an absolute favorite at live shows. The added part at the end when they play is makes the song that much better.

5. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

Oh.

6. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Faint's a great song, and it looks like the guys love it live.it's great that they let fans play guitar on it during the Meteora tour. The demo is an interesting version of it as well. Always a great song live, and the extended outro has POWER to it, take a look at RaR 2007. Hopefully Brad gives it a better outro solo now that he learned how to play guitar again.

7. TEGCRocco

TEGCRocco The LPL Invader

Faint is one of my favorite songs on Meteora, but it still is nothing more than an average song. It's a pretty good live song but, on the record, it doesn't sound nearly as good, something which is true for 90% of the pre-MTM songs.

8. Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Adding to my earlier post. Faint was one of the songs LP used to play on those TV shows like Top of the Pops, CD:UK and stuff. I loved tv performances and I have a great chunk of those on CDs I made during my Kazaa days. And of course the 2$ bill was awesome as well.

[video=youtube;c3b8q2J2-jE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3b8q2J2-jE[/video]​

9. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

This!

10. BIBBLE

BIBBLE Well-Known Member

You oughtta be out yo god damn mind.

11. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

It's incredibly just how much the music scene has shifted in a decade. Faint would NEVER be played on such a show in this era. The results would be catastrophic.

12. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Onto the next one. :) "Figure.09".

Track eight on "Meteora" is regarded as one of the heaviest and most aggressive on the album. It kicks off with some distorted vinyl tapping by Joe Hahn, as explained by Shinoda:

The song's title, for those of you who might not be aware, is just a working title that was simply kept there - as with "Faint" and many other LP songs, the title does not appear in a lyric.

All that I really have to say about "Figure.09" is that, judging by all the live videos that I've seen over the years, it's a lot of fun to hear live. It's one of my (many) favourite parts of "Live in Texas"; I believe that it actually made its live debut on that Summer Sanitarium tour with Metallica.

There are a couple of elements in the song that, to me, are kind of throwbacks to "Hybrid Theory" songs, intentional or otherwise. The bridge, in the way that it's phrased and structured, feels reminiscent of the bridge in "By Myself", and the little breakdown that leads into it reminds me a lot of "Papercut". EDIT: And the guitar part in the bridge reminds me of the bridge guitar riff in "One Step Closer" too

In 2009, Linkin Park Underground members got a demo version of the song in that year's annual fan-club CD. This demo is largely instrumental but also features an early version of the chorus and a different bridge as well. The chorus is really different to the one we hear on "Meteora", in terms of lyrics, melody and chord progression.

The most interesting thing about the demo to me, though, is the fact that we can hear Shinoda singing some of the backing parts. I wasn't aware that this was something that they did in 2002 or 2003, but I guess that it could have been a rare exception; a decade ago, I remember reading this 2003 interview with NY Rock, wherein Shinoda said:

"Meteora"'s liner notes tell us that, for a large part of the songwriting process, "Figure.09" had verses that were sung by Chester. There's a demo that I think many of us would like to hear.

13. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

:obama: I see.

14. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

'And now, you become a part of me, you'll always be right here, you've become a part of me,You'll always be my fear'.
    I love that part.

15. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

yeah me too, dont know, the Lyrics flows with the song perfectly imo. More Songs like this and Meteora could be a much better album imo.

Captain-EO likes this.
  16. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

He says a song on Meteora is in 6/8. Which song is this?

Songs like this are exactly why Meteora isn't that good, in my opinion. :lol:

17. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"From The Inside". :)

18. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Cool song, cool demo, cool lyrics. It seems like writing it was rather easy, but you can tell that the band put a lot of work into it. That's what i like about their songwriting.

19. Halfway Dwight

Halfway Dwight We are the fortunate ones.

I love that part too. I also really like Mike in the song. One of my favorites from Meteora.

20. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Figure .09" is a pretty boring song from me. Nothing really distinguishes it from previous LP songs, even with the awesome bridge.