"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Rivendare

Rivendare Well-Known Member

"Nobody's Listening" is my least favorite song off Meteora. I still like it, but it sounds rushed and weak compared to the rest of the album. The Japanese Flute was a neat addition that gave the song some identity. However, I wish they would have done more with the rest of the instrumental to compliment it.

Lyric wise, it's solid. No major complaints in that compartment, although Mike's flow again seems a little "uninspired", so to speak.

2. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Nobody's Listening" is ok. I like the flute and the emphasis on hip hop, but I don't feel the chorus. The rap verses, especially in the bridge, are pretty solid.

3. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

They shouldn't have made something that was (at last) different into a standard Linkin Park song. I like the instrumental, I don't like the lyrics.

4. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

I hate my rhymes BUT HATE EVERYONE ELSE'S MORE

This rap is great, and when they added as a portion to the Hip Hop Medley, it was a good choice. They need another random changeup like this in the future.

Only complaints are that Mike raps about the same stuff on Meteora about pain. It's funny how Brad and Phoenix would switch guitars at live shows, but that just goes to show how unimportant they are to the song. Three different notes in the whole song and it's just in the chorus.

5. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

This song carries an interesting energy and feeling unlike everything else on Meteora, and I quite enjoy it. Meteora Lyric Syndrome aside, I like the idea of the chorus.

Also, that medley was fucking amazing, why have I never seen this before?

6. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

This songs let me every time imagine a picture of a japanese garden with some samurais where Mike raps to in front :lol:

Well , its a funny song imo. Fits perfect in the #OldSchool Hip-op-Medley i my opinion.

Captain-EO likes this.
  7. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Whereas as Breaking The Habit succeeded at being something different, to me Nobody's Listening fell short of expectations. It feels like the band is trying way too hard on this track, and it comes off as rather cheesy. The most redeeming quality about this song is when it's part of the hip-hop medley, as suddenly everything flows together cohesively.

8. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

I've got a heartful of pain
    Headful of stress
    Handful of anger held in my chest
    Uphill struggle
    Blood sweat and tears
    Nothing to gain
    Everything with fear

(Coming at you)

Best rapping in Meteora. Of course the lyrics are about the 'stress' and the 'pain' and the 'I hate you' like they are in every other Meteora or Hybrid Theory song. But I don't think they do anything bad to the song. It's slightly like Bleed It Out but quieter and with more rapping.

9. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I fucking love the guitar in this song. So silent yet so deadly.

10. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Man, I completely forgot about this thread :lol: but, for now, I'm no longer too busy so let's keep it going.

"Session" is the twelfth track on "Meteora". Like "Cure For The Itch", it's an instrumental track primarily helmed by Mike Shinoda and Joe Hahn, and is used as the penultimate track on its album. According to the band, the track originally sat as an unfinished demo for "over a year" and was ultimately saved by the contributions of Brad Delson and Phoenix. This is explained in the "Meteora" liner notes.

Some people will try to tell you that "Session" is an updated version of the hidden instrumental track from the "Hybrid Theory" EP. These people are wrong.

"Session" puts Shinoda's production and drum programming abilities on full display, going all-out to show how Linkin Park can draw from ambient electronica, glitch music and IDM, and that they're capable of more than just big powerchords. The drums are effected and manipulated to the point where Shinoda claims that they are "impossible to play [live]", and that's pretty accurate, although it's still cool to see people trying their best anyway. :) Atop these drums and pads, Joe Hahn delivers a turntable solo that some would say is superior to anything he had done on a Linkin Park record before that point, also manipulated by Shinoda and Delson afterwards. Delson delivers a simple and subtle clean guitar line to complement the piano and Phoenix plays a bassline that almost gets lost competing with the low end of the kick.

In 2003, "Session" was used memorably as one of the credits songs in "The Matrix Reloaded" and was the opening track on the film's soundtrack compilation. In 2004, it was nominated for "Best Rock Instrumental" at the Grammys in 2004 (presumably because it includes a guitar part), but did not win.

"Session" has been used in the past as a live intro and, occasionally, as an intro for encore segments. When it's performed live, virtually all of the song's instrumentation is on playback and Joe Hahn delivers his scratching solo live over the top. At the Detroit show filmed by MTV2 and many others during the "Meteora" touring cycle, it lead into "Foreword" + "Don't Stay".

Later on, in 2009, "Session" was briefly brought back for use as a live intro, this time leading into "Given Up". Elements from "Session" are incorporated in Linkin Park's current live intro, and samples from the track are also used during the Joe Hahn solo segment which is, at the moment, a staple of Linkin Park's sets. To date, the track has never been used in its entirety during a live show; instead, it has always been shortened.

11. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

One of the best Linkin Park instrumentals, demos included.

12. polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I love it. I like the music in Meteora. Its sound more polished than HT and I like how its layered. It just some of lyrics I have a problem with and thankfully, this track is free of it

13. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

The best song on Meteora beside Breaking The Habit, and a highlight in Linkin Park's discography. Will post more later.

14. Michele

SOmething in this song makes me feel of "money". Dont know what :lol: A great instrumental. Love how it ends. I think its a a good bridge from Nobodys Listening to Numb.

Captain-EO likes this.
  15. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Maybe some of the glitched hats sounds like coins dropping to you

16. Michele

Nahhh , i mean to hear some whispering in the song like "money,moneymoney...." around 1:00 and 1:08 and continues through the whole song ^^

Captain-EO likes this.
  17. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

Another great song that shows that Meteora is not that bad (or a comlete HT ripoff) after all...

18. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

ayyyyyy it's the "title track". "session" is a really neat instrumental, i've always liked it.

19. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I've been waiting for this moment simply because of the word Session in the thread title. It's just about as exciting as I was expecting this moment to be.

on topic - very good instrumental, one of the few that I don't skip when on shuffle

20. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

"Session" is, for me, the band's best instrumental. So great. I love how it starts with a pounding hip-hop drumbeat, before haunting piano and guitar, capped off with Joe's scratching.

I recommend we go to Collision Course after "Numb".