New music from Slipknot

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mr. Awesome, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

2. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

3. Gibs

4. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Idk man, I need this story to be real. I fucking need it.

5. Gibs

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  6. Bruno

Bruno Each word gets lost in the echo...

Fucking amazing. Fantastic. What a great great album. Can't compare them to all their previous work yet because I have only listened to it once, but it is miles better than AHiG.

7. Gibs

Noice.

[video=youtube;FdBqOCS8LmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBqOCS8LmM[/video]

8. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

This song has a serious case GDMS (Generic Death Metal Syndrome). Sick intro, continuously gets more and more boring. Also the cheese on this song is too much for me to forgive. Not impressed.

9. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Been listening to the leak for a while now... I really don't know what to say bout this so far.

10. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Is there a legit 320 rip?

(not asking for links)

11. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

This album lacks some decent hooks. I do enjoy a portion of the tracks but I am honestly not super happy with the album.

12. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Just got through the album. Pretty great. Disagree that there is a lack of hooks. Had a few of the songs stuck in my head all day. The weak points were definitely Killpop, Lech, and Custer (except for that beast fucking intro). The stand outs are probably AOV, The Devil in I, Skeptic, and If rain is what you want. Could of used some Fehn vocals to to give some vocal variety, but that complaint only exists because I know they have that option. If they didn't it's not like there's any lack of diversity there.

Anyways, good stuff, better than AHIG. Not going to say it's better than Slipknot, though it certainly doesn't touch Iowa or Vol. 3.

13. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Funny you say that since those were probably the most hook driven songs on the record - Besides the first two singles.
    And that was probably what I meant - the songs that are meant to be catchy just aren't memorable/strong enough for me.

But after a few more listens I actually like the record a bit more.
    Personal favorites:
    XIX(the lyrics... talk about angst lol)
    AOV
    The Devil and I
    The Negative One
    Normadic

But the best song on the record is undoubtedly If Rain Is What You Want.

14. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I suppose there is some immemorable stuff there and there is definitely a sameness to it, which I suppose is where my want for more Fehn vocals comes from. I guess that could be translated to say that anything that brought more diversity would be nice.

15. ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

Pretty to hear where they should or would go live, if certain stuff even gets played.

16. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Not quite the monumental return I projected shortly after the release of 'All Hope is Gone' six years ago. Regardless, it was a decent release that turned out exactly as described; a fair mixture of elements stemming from Iowa and Vol.3. Familiar, yet altogether nothing new. The Gray Chapter is a shaky, uneven reflective take on the current transitional period within the band's career.

17. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

I've given the album some time to sink in. At first my reactions were extremely mixed, mostly negative... But I really had to take myself back to my 14-year-old self to appreciate the album. Back then I was religious with Slipknot. I ran a fan-site with a small forum and little (But surprisingly devoted) community. After listening to some Iowa and S/T to get back in the mindset, the album really opened up to me a lot more than initially. I'm not going to go into too much detail, because I'm still really giving it some time to make an impression in me, but I can say that I've been enjoying AOV, Lech, Nomadic, Killpop and If Rain is What You Want. XIX and Custer are cringe-worthy as hell to me, and are both becoming regular skips on repeated listens.

18. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Didn't hear the album yet, but I listened to All Hope Is Gone yesterday for the 5th or 6th time, and the album really clicked with me more than it usually does. Iowa and Vol. 3 are fucking classics, some of the best albums I've heard. So this leaves me with self titled to listen to before I get to this one. Exciting times!

19. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

20. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Self titled is kind of like Iowa, only a little more fun. It's more of a Nu metal record.