Should LP should go in a hip hop/rap direction?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by MattLP, Nov 30, 2014.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

Drop the rap completely? Nooooo. Become rap completely? Nooooooo. I love having the hip hop elements in LP's music and I wouldn't want LP without it, but I also wouldn't want them to go completely hip hop. Mike just really needs to step up his game, his lyrics have been lame as hell lately.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

You can have hiphop elements without the rapping.

Lotus

Lotus LPA VIP LPA VIP

I'm assuming this was meant as a reply to me? In any case, you're right. I shouldn't have said hiphop elements though, because I mostly meant rap ;)

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I say leave the hip-hop/rap direction for Mike to pursue with Fort Minor. Considering I think just about everyone agrees that Mike's rapping was the weakest part of The Hunting Party, dropping it completely might eventually be for the best.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure what "Hip-hop" entails instrumentally. I imagine I have Not Begun is as close as we'll get to it though. I was really hoping the end of UIG was gonna be a full song like I Have Not Begun with lots of rapping on it, though I've had a love/hate relationship with Mike's raps lately. I'd much rather hear folk/indie pop/electronic (not edm but more like CHVRCHES) music from LP next than anything heavy or rap-heavy (unless the raps are on something different than hip hop or rock like WFTE).

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

Hip-Hop/Rap for Fort Minor only. Mike mentioned even before he has plans for a new FM record after THP (maybe?, who knows). They can incorporate Hip-Hop on a Linkin Park sound (because that is what they do) but if Hip-Hop is the new direction as for the material ready for LP7, it would definitely polarize the fan base again same to what happened from ATS era.

Fury99

Fury99 4EVER LP

In my opinion, LP should input more hip hop elements without limiting the rock elements instead of going in a legit hip hop, Cypress Hill-like direction. Mike is a pretty decent rapper but his lyricism just isn't where it should be. His delivery could use some more work as well.

Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

I wouldn't rely on a whole album with mike rapping. What would Chester do?

I mean the lyrics on THP are kinda so-so. They could have made better lyrics. I really would like a making of video for THP but for some reason they won't release it. If the lyrics are so-so on THP they would need to improve to rely on a full rap album.

Fort minor is there for a reason. LP would never go full rap. I see your point but it would never happen

polleo

polleo You're gonna carry that weight. LPA Super Member

I don't mind whatever they do as long as it sounds interesting and fresh and the lyrics are better than that on THP. Except for MTG, Rebellion and FM, all other songs needed better lyrics.

I mean, the stupid normal version booklet says "additional lyrics by Brad Delson". They had THREE people on lyrics this time so I really think they could've done a lot better.
    Sorry, if I offend anybody :shrug: They're my favorite band and I love THP but the lyrics I still don't think are that great on all songs.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Just saying but... you guys who want LP to drop completely the rap and stuff....That´s cute and all, but you know, you can´t really expect it to happen when Mike´s biggest influence has always been hip hop.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I want Kid A.

A Thousand Suns part 2. Whatever.

Just give it to me.

GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

LP,full hip hop?No thanks.But rap on rock-ish beats?It might work,like Xzibit's 'Napalm' or Tech N9ne's 'Straight out the Gates'...
    But to be honest,I would prefer Mike to sing more,in "call-and-respond" kind of manner with Chester,and maybe Dave and Joe can provide more low profile,ambient backing vocal.
    PHP:

Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

The same thing he did on High Voltage, Hands Held High, When They Come for Me (I'm fairly certain the chorus vocals are Mike, not Chester), Until it Breaks... Just because Mike raps doesn't mean he has to do all the vocals. Did he do the chorus on Where'd You Go, High Road, or Red to Black? Or he can do what the rest of the band did on songs on Living Things, play samples and whatnot.

MattLP

MattLP No control No surprise

THP is ATS part 2, just a heavy rock version of it. Its politically charged and worldly

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

[​IMG]

Captain-EO

It sounds more like Mike's voice in every way than Chester's. Just listen to it. How have people come to the conclusion that it's Chester?

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

:wat:

Filip

[​IMG]

Captain-EO

Everyone stahp, answer me lmao.

Filip

[​IMG]